Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I think we've missed the boat regards selling Maddison for a decent fee and having anyone's pants down.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I hold my hands up i'd have been the first criticising but looking back it'd have probably been a good idea to sell him at the same time as Chilwell to maximise and command a high fee. Man Utd were interested back then I think?

In the past when selling players we've all known we're having the big teams pants down but 'in the market' thats what had to be paid. Rumours that we were asking £70m in the summer Maddison was outrageous even in a massively over inflated market.

Turned down a £60m bid from Arsenal in the summer....i would have snapped their hands off for that and driven him down there at my expense as i doubt we will get anywhere near £60m if he carries on playing the way he is. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Same with Praet, what they must have been thinking sitting watching Maddison and Perez given a crap performance week in week out, any way we can recall Praet early? His link up with Tielemans and Castagne this week in the Belgium game was lovely

Praet wasn't right for us he had many chances but never got involved, you can't keep playing someone in turgid form though especially when its impossible Iheanacho or KDH could do any worse.

I've always said we play better when he isn't in the side. 

I always prefer Tielemans playing in a more advanced role, think he's classier and we look better as a team.

For me he's the one in midfield that is expendable, and can be sold. As a footballer I don't think he's progressed a huge amount from when he first came. I'd rather have KDH in the team, or play Nacho who's certainly more effective. You could always remove Maddison and go with Daka up top too alongside Vardy. 

He's not the be all and end all, this season so far he's shown us that he's bang average. Rewarding these players like him and Perez with constant starts is dangerous. Imagine if you were Praet for example, seeing both of them playing like that and knowing you're condemned to the subs bench week in week out. If we're not careful it'll be more players who will want to leave, and you can't blame them. 

Some of this probably true but the credibility of his source is rubbish. Also the fact that Rodgers dropped him for the Covid breach at the detriment to the team but lets him get away with not turning up for training and pi$$ing off to Ibiza instead of pre season. I think not.

He's not fit and I don't think his head is there right now. Should be out of the team.

We all know that, on his day, Maddison is an amazing player. The problem is since February he hasn't had a real great game. Way too inconsistent. Yes he's been injured, but there's still no excuses for his horrid play. I love Rodgers but he doesn't help him either. When someone's playing poorly, it's best to remove them a bit until they earn their place back. Rodgers has basically allowed him and perez to play whenever at the detriment of the team. Praet iheanacho kdh and others have suffered bc of this. I want to see iheanacho play for Maddison next game. Wish that a reporter would ask why he's been playing off the bench. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Turned down a £60m bid from Arsenal in the summer....i would have snapped their hands off for that and driven him down there at my expense as i doubt we will get anywhere near £60m if he carries on playing the way he is. 

I said in the summer I'd have taken 60m for him. Never believed all this that he's supposed to be some great attacking midfielder. He's never managed double figures, for goals or assists, across the 3 seasons or however long he's been here (** edit: I am talking about league stats only here).

Push Tielemans more forwards and play Somouri with Ndidi. Or play Kelechi off of/with Vardy.

Edited by Fox92

17 minutes ago, Sankey93 said:

He’s got to be dropped immediately. He’s useless 

Some absolute rubbish on here.

I am not his biggest fan because some of his off field behaviour and lack of professionalism is something he needs to learn from and clearly he has suffered plus not hit anything like the heights he was doing this time last season.

However whilst I think he is fortunate to be being picked some people have very short memories and quick to castigate any player who is in poor form. Rodgers is absolutely brilliant in developing and bringing players up to new levels and thank fully has more rationale than most on here as giving players his backing is how he develops trust and confidence in players.

Whether he deserves picking I think he knows best and clearly yesterday Maddison worked way harder than he had against W.Ham and Norwich and whilst nowhere near his best it was not lack of effort yesterday - his confidence is clearly low but he found more pockets yesterday in a game where we as a team had to work hard to get the ball.

As the game went on and became stretched with us pushing it is easy to say that it was because he went off.

personally I would also have sold him for £65m but he is hugely talented and patience/perseverance and support from BR is most likely to be the way he will hopefully return to form.

Time will tell and others will get the chance to claim his spot as games are coming thick and fast but the way some on here talk utter clap trap about him being useless or need to go play in the championship is stupid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

It rings true though doesn’t it - and would explain a lot.

I also think some of it is down to him being a new parent, and making that transition. Not an easy job for anyone.

If he hadn't got injured, but most likely it just the process of coming back from injury rather then anything else. 

I think it a case of player in form, get injured come back to early to help the team. Lost a lot of confidence.  

When he returned at the start of last season after he's first injury it took him 7 games to get he's first assist and another 4 odd games to start really chipping in with regular goals an assists 

He's about 10 games since come back to from the last injury at the moment.

Some players have to play themselves into form and fitness.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I said in the summer I'd have taken 60m for him. Never believed all this that he's supposed to be some great attacking midfielder. He's never managed double figures, for goals or assists, across the 3 seasons or however long he's been here.

Push Tielemans more forwards and play Somouri with Ndidi. Or play Kelechi off of/with Vardy.

He scored 11 last season.  8 in 31 in the PL and was on a hot streak of form and goals until he was injured.  He has never recovered.

I don't know what to make of JM.  I keep hoping that the real Maddison will step forward next week and then the next week and so on.  I don't know if his head is right and if he is still carrying this injury, I wish they'd tell us.  It might dissipate some of the impatience among the fans.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, murphy said:

He scored 11 last season.  8 in 31 in the PL and was on a hot streak of form and goals until he was injured.  He has never recovered.

I don't know what to make of JM.  I keep hoping that the real Maddison will step forward next week and then the next week and so on.  I don't know if his head is right and if he is still carrying this injury, I wish they'd tell us.  It might dissipate some of the impatience among the fans.

He scored 8 in the league and that's what I was referring too. I know he scored 11 in all comps, 2 in Europe and 1 in the FA Cup. But if we're talking all comps then the previous seasons he scored 9 and 7. I expect a bit more from a player who supposed to be our main attacking threat.

As for criticism, I wouldn't call it impatience among fans, we're basically carrying him and everybody can see it. As someone posted above though, he's never really been consistent here has he.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Fox said:

Some absolute rubbish on here.

I am not his biggest fan because some of his off field behaviour and lack of professionalism is something he needs to learn from and clearly he has suffered plus not hit anything like the heights he was doing this time last season.

However whilst I think he is fortunate to be being picked some people have very short memories and quick to castigate any player who is in poor form. Rodgers is absolutely brilliant in developing and bringing players up to new levels and thank fully has more rationale than most on here as giving players his backing is how he develops trust and confidence in players.

Whether he deserves picking I think he knows best and clearly yesterday Maddison worked way harder than he had against W.Ham and Norwich and whilst nowhere near his best it was not lack of effort yesterday - his confidence is clearly low but he found more pockets yesterday in a game where we as a team had to work hard to get the ball.

As the game went on and became stretched with us pushing it is easy to say that it was because he went off.

personally I would also have sold him for £65m but he is hugely talented and patience/perseverance and support from BR is most likely to be the way he will hopefully return to form.

Time will tell and others will get the chance to claim his spot as games are coming thick and fast but the way some on here talk utter clap trap about him being useless or need to go play in the championship is stupid.

I cannot remember the last time he had a half decent game never mind a a great one! He does not at the minute offer the side anything. He does not score, don’t assist! I’d personally drop him to give him a kick up the arse imo and I genuinely do hope he gets back to his best but I just can’t see it unfortunately.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bourbon Fox said:

Unbelievable that this Matt guy names Hamza and Sharkey as his sources, Jesus Christ

I don’t think he did. He sounds like a guy who desperately craves attention - are there any other sorts that ring a chat show - and name-dropped, without directly attributing anything. He said morning that he couldn’t have read in here. A sad call. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

He scored 8 in the league and that's what I was referring too. I know he scored 11 in all comps, 2 in Europe and 1 in the FA Cup. But if we're talking all comps then the previous seasons he scored 9 and 7. I expect a bit more from a player who supposed to be our main attacking threat.

As for criticism, I wouldn't call it impatience among fans, we're basically carrying him and everybody can see it. As someone posted above though, he's never really been consistent here has he.

He averages a goal every 4.5 games for us in the PL and in all competitions.  27 in 123 and I think that is pretty good especially as those figures have taken a downturn along with his form.  I think he is actually better than that.  He is not our main attacking threat however , Vardy is.  If the likes of Barnes and Maddison and err...Perez can also weigh in then we're doing OK.

Of course, he has been off it for some time and I had thought that we should allow him to play his way back into form but it isn't working.  I agree that he can't justify his place in the side on current form especially with Nacho chomping at the bit.  I think that the time has come for a spell out of the team but when I talk about patience among the fans I am talking about booing at the ground and people packing his bags and writing him off here.  If there are mitigating circumstances that we are not aware of, it might help if we were made aware in terms of supporting him.  I don't believe that good players become bad ones for no reason and he is worth persevering with in the long run because he is a rare talent.

Just as an aside, I wonder whether Vardy in his dotage could play 10?  He makes headlines scoring goals but his all round game and eye for a pass is actually very good.  Nacho could play 9 and the idea of Vardy running from deep could be devestating.

Just a thought.  

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

He averages a goal every 4.5 games for us in the PL and in all competitions.  27 in 123 and I think that is pretty good especially as those figures have taken a downturn along with his form.  I think he is actually better than that.  He is not our main attacking threat however , Vardy is.  If the likes of Barnes and Maddison and err...Perez can also weigh in then we're doing OK.

Of course, he has been off it for some time and I had thought that we should allow him to play his way back into form but it isn't working.  I agree that he can't justify his place in the side on current form especially with Nacho chomping at the bit.  I think that the time has come for a spell out of the team but when I talk about patience among the fans I am talking about booing at the ground and people packing his bags and writing him off here.  If there are mitigating circumstances that we are not aware of, it might help if we were made aware in terms of supporting him.  I don't believe that good players become bad ones for no reason and he is worth persevering with in the long run because he is a rare talent.

Just as an aside, I wonder whether Vardy in his dotage could play 10?  He makes headlines scoring goals but his all round game and eye for a pass is actually very good.  Nacho could play 9 and the idea of Vardy running from deep could be devestating.

Just a thought.  

Fair post, I don't necessarily disagree with that. There could be circumstances we are not aware of but if you take this view then you can apply it every single player who doesn't perform.

I thought I heard boos yesterday but couldn't figure if it was for Maddison or the the sub. I admit I've been a critic of his but I also agree some of the stuff said is stupid which I don't agree with. For example, loaning him out to a Championship club!

I think people get annoyed with his off field presence though, compared to his on field presence. Personally I don't follow players outside of football, I have no interest in them apart from on match day when they're wearing our shirt, however if a player is a "show off" (not sure how to word it) then he gets away with it as long as he's performing on the pitch. 

He's clearly bang out of form and/or has never truly recovered from his long-term injury. And it shows. 15 games without a goal or an assist speaks absolute volumes of a player who is short of confidence as well. Abysmal stats for a playmaker of his calibre that we all know he has shown before.

Part of me wishes someone did come in for an offer during the summer, whilst the other part wants him to show us what he can truly do. JM can change games, he can win them for us. But at the moment, he should not be starting games.  

I can only wonder if Brendan has taken note of the smattering of boos as a sign that Maddison is just not performing at an acceptable level. Takes a lot to get booing from what is a typically-patient home crowd these days. Nacho and Ben Chilwell are two recent ones. The former found his form and the boos disappeared, the other cried off to Chelsea where he certainly started playing better. 

Sit JM down in a quiet room and see what is really inside his head. Because it is really not in the game. And again, it shows.