Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

Smudge is right - lets just say Madders has hit rock bottom or very close to. If thats the case than booing, slagging him off on social media etc is not gonna help if it continues. Some thrive off it like a good telling off others can go off the deep end and never recover. Rogers has to treat this situation delicately now. If he decides to bench him it has to be part of a bigger plan otherwise it looks like lite punishment not getting to the root of the problem. We keep saying this but LCFC must get the psychs back in the club ffs. Players need mental health help too believe it or not. Who know's what's going on inside madders head but he doesnt look right. If he wasn't such an important and integral player he wouldn't be getting this much attention. That in itself hopefully tells the player he is still of great value to the club but he has to improve and quickly. I hope Nacho is supporting him with advise which must be hard for him too as he's not getting the game time he deserves while madders is.

15 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Same with Praet, what they must have been thinking sitting watching Maddison and Perez given a crap performance week in week out, any way we can recall Praet early? His link up with Tielemans and Castagne this week in the Belgium game was lovely

I would agree except I don’t think Perez is that bad. He has just been played out of position.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Same with Praet, what they must have been thinking sitting watching Maddison and Perez given a crap performance week in week out, any way we can recall Praet early? His link up with Tielemans and Castagne this week in the Belgium game was lovely

Apart from what we lose in an attacking sense while Maddison is not himself, it has concerned me what we also lose in terms of contribution to the midfield. There are times when our midfield has been overworked, which reduces Tielemans' effectiveness in supporting our attacking moves, and also adds to the pressure on Ndidi and the defence.  Last season there were games where we were desperately in need of a Praet, and even already this season Soumare or KDH, to be brought on to bolster the midfield.  Yet Rodgers was extremely reluctant to address that shortcoming.

It's a mystery, and perhaps the only answer is that suggested on here, to maintain Maddison's value (and also hoping that his form suddenly comes right).  I am also concerned, as others have suggested, about the feeling (potential unrest?) in the squad - players on the pitch feeling let down by his lack of contribution and others on the bench frustrated by their non-involvement.

What I would give for some idea of the management thinking that's going on.  I hope we don't let too many points slip in this early period while the optimum team and formation is settling.

Edited by deep blue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Bob Farley said:

Has it been mentioned that he recently became a parent. That’s a big life adjustment, especially if he’s not getting enough sleep etc. Could have rocked him more than he was expecting. 

People don’t realise just how much insufficient sleep affects performance levels. It’s a massive change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

Apart from what we lose in an attacking sense while Maddison is not himself, it has concerned me what we also lose in terms of contribution to the midfield. There are times when our midfield has been overworked, which reduces Tielemans' effectiveness in supporting our attacking moves, and also adds to the pressure on Ndidi and the defence.  Last season there were games where we were desperately in need of a Praet, and even already this season Soumare or KDH, to be brought on to bolster the midfield.  Yet Rodgers was extremely reluctant to address that shortcoming.

It's a mystery, and perhaps the only answer is that suggested on here, to maintain Maddison's value (and also hoping that his form suddenly comes right).  I am also concerned, as others have suggested, about the feeling (potential unrest?) in the squad - players on the pitch feeling let down by his lack of contribution and others on the bench frustrated by their non-involvement.

What I would give for some idea of the management thinking that's going on.  I hope we don't let too many points slip in this early period while the optimum team and formation is settling.

totally agree - my concern is that we are looking like a  "lower half club" while we try to fix this "maddison problem". If his head is elsewhere then he cannot assist us at this time - yet we have other players who can.  I know brendan has be patient - but there comes a point where you cut you losses and start on a new tack.

THis would allow Coaches to work with maddison and show him how important it is to do so - the aim is to get him back to where he was pre injury.

No excuse for his poor form, but it doesn't make him a poor player. Still got more talent than 90% of our squad.

Needs time out of the team though, I'd be playing Kelechi for Napoli and Brighton with Madders having Milwall and Legia as chances to get back into form.

22 hours ago, KFS said:

His little ‘Avengers’ mates all got big moves and now he thinks he deserves one himself. 

He ain't ever getting a big move now. None of the teams that are classed as 'bigger' than us in the league will want him. Arsenal were our last hope at getting some decent cash for Maddison but now they've signed Odegaard that's a non starter.

I think the Grealish move will really have affected him as this time a year ago Maddison was on par with Grealish as a player but has fallen off massively. He's either carrying an injury or he's mentally shot to pieces/sulking. 

The best he can hope for is that one of the 'big' clubs has an injury crisis and panic buys. Personally I think the sooner we ship him off the better. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Yeah he's not been at his scintillating best but really think there is a massive element of hyperbole going on in this thread. 

Would you turn down 60 million for him right now? I wouldn't and I don't think many people would.

I want him to be the player we know he can be but its starting to look increasingly unlikely and we cannot afford to carry any passengers if we want to maintain our recent levels of success because if we don't it won't just be Maddison looking to leave it will be all of them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Understatement of the decade.

22 games, no goals, no assists, my dead granny moves quicker and she's not at her scintillating best either.

I count his only play 15 since his last one? (It 22 if you count the 7 he was injured for).

He's only played the equivalent of 10 games minutes wise. 

Edited by coolhandfox

2 hours ago, deep blue said:

I can understand a bit about the business side of things - to keep his value up - but if we want to break into the top 4, I would say this is starting to look like bad business as we miss out on CL football and value in otherwise great players like Praet and Nachos reduces due to their lack of game time.  But you are right, whatever it is, I just want our team selection to be based on merit and meanwhile we do not drop too many points as we get our team selection right. However, from the experience with Chilwell, we may need to endure this for the whole season until someone comes in for Maddison. It does no one any good though - performance is affected on pitch; fans get frustrated; Maddison becomes the scapegoat when Rodgers is the one who makes the selection; Maddison loses confidence as fans boo him; Maddison loses value.

Looks v leggy, assume is his long standing injury woes. Not been at his best at all, just showed on Saturday Grealish is head and shoulders above him, technically and physically.

Needs to improve and quick, people that boo him at the start when his name was read out? Absolute planks

• Like 1