Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

1 hour ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

His problem is that he’s seriously eroded the patience people would have had with him were he not attending illegal lockdown parties, getting pissed in Ibiza whilst his heavily pregnant girlfriend was left at home and plastered all over the internet with commercial partnerships.

Compare and contrast him with Tielemans in terms of application and approach. Maddison could learn a hell of a lot from his team mate.

I agree with your analysis and particularly with the Youri comparison.

It maybe just my imagination but it seems Youri seems to play better when Maddison is not in the team.

Injury notwithstanding his stock has fallen massively. He isn't far off being our Dele Alli.

Back in 2019 we were concerned about him going elsewhere after some right good form but you'd tolerate that if it meant he was delivering the goods. Right now he is not much use to us at all. He'd even struggle more with Arsenal.

Might be worth looking at alternatives in January if this carries on.

Is Maddison a player that can adapt to playing in different positions, because today on the right is one I've not seen him play. Normally he plays to the left or central behind vardy. Is Rodgers at fault of trying to put square pegs in round holes? Would he be better playing either madders or Barnes with a player who can play right side, today lookman looked pretty useful there. 

He just doesn’t look there physically or mentally. I’m starting to think he’s more than likely finished at this level, he’s been playing at his current level for the best part of a year with no sign of improvement. At least with Vardy he contributed in other ways during his bad spells but Maddison cannot get anything right and can barely move.

• Like 2

Needs time out. I can’t put my finger on it with him. Whether the injury has impacted on his movements or he still is carrying an issue. Is it a mentality thing - there has been a noticeable change in his body language. Who knows what it is or if there is stuff going on with him that none of us know about. For his own sake, and for that of the side, he needs a spell on the sidelines. 

Edited by DerbyshireFox

Maddison now looks like Tielemans in his first full season for us. For large parts of that season we wondered what we'd bought and could see why monaco weren't giving him playing time, he was dropped for Praet and Dennis was looking like the best Belgian midfielder we'd ever signed. Turns out with Tielemans he'd become a dad, had a major lifestyle adjustment and had to really work to get back in Rodgers' plans.

Not making excuses for him because his form has been terrible this calendar year, not just since he became a Dad but I definitely think it's a factor why he's just drifting through games. The best thing Rogers can do is bench him for at least 5 or 6 games and let the likes of Soumare and Lookman have a chance because young James definitely isn't looking like he's going to play his way back into form and as I've said elsewhere, he's a match winner not winning us many matches.

Personally thinks it’s Rodgers fault for persevering with Maddison, woefully out of form & confidence but he still puts his name on the team sheet, KDH or Soumare should have started a few games ago or Lookman in the set up Rodgers changed to.
Clearly Maddison is struggling wether it’s his long standing injury or a confidence thing, look at him last season when he was banging the goals in…

• Like 2

Just now, Jimmy said:

no, he's gone backwards

This. Whether it's his general fitness, his last injury, or his head being turned, he's just not good enough for us atm.  TBH, if it's the former, I don't think he's entirely alone with that problem - we definitely seem to be struggling a bit as a team atm for concentration, almost as a basic match-fitness issue.

We definitely let the AI run the flipping pre-season didn't we? This always happens when you do that  :P 

1 minute ago, PhillippaT said:

This. Whether it's his general fitness, his last injury, or his head being turned, he's just not good enough for us atm.  TBH, if it's the former, I don't think he's entirely alone with that problem - we definitely seem to be struggling a bit as a team atm for concentration, almost as a basic match-fitness issue.

We definitely let the AI run the flipping pre-season didn't we? This always happens when you do that  :P 

first thing I do on FM is sack pretty much all the staff and hire better people

He's lost the dynamism he used to bring. Constantly turning and running into space or at players with the ball. He seems to just walk with it now. Everytime there's a quick pass needed he's missing it.

Really needs to take time on the bench, or revisit that hip injury as it's ruining his game.

• Like 1

Madders either needs resting or completely dropping for a few games give him game time with the U23’s to get a few goals get the feeling of scoring back, whatever needs doing for him to get his playing and scoring mojo back, god knows what’s up with the lad he’s lost something and Brendan needs to do something yes he’s not the only one but he’s been a quality player in the past he’s been touted for an England place but others have shone he’s sort of gone backwards!

So will Brendan keep faith with Madders or does he do what he said he would do drop all underperforming players as there’s hungry players waiting to take their places in the starting 11, cup game Wednesday hope Brendan puts out a strong team of players who can do the business and can push our underperforming players into taking note that they could be losing their place to someone else who’s been watching and waiting on the bench ?

Sort it out Brendan !!

11 hours ago, Koke said:

Once upon a time Maddison, Grealish and Mount were a debate. The other two have gone on to another level, whilst Maddison has stagnated. 

Mount I can accept but Maddison was never as good as Grealish. People like to dislike Grealish because he dives a lot, but the weight of his passing and how direct he is always put him above Maddison for me. Even for Villa, when in a relegation battle, he drove at players. Maddison never seems to do that, he's just so passive.

I have been critical of Maddison during his time here but now is the first time I think he should be dropped. Get two up front and stop accommodating Maddison.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Don't buy all this 'if player x or y played like this they wouldn't get as much flak'. I remember Youri going through a poor few months after his loan spell, he was carrying too much weight and largely anonymous and he was rightly criticised. Even Mr Leicester himself Jamie Vardy isn't beyond criticism and I think he's been on very thin ice for a while, I'd put Kel in the side in a heart beat, another example of a player who has come in for a lot of stick. Madison is currently a country mile off what he can do, and the main issue is he looks like chillwell did before he left, plainly not arsed in the slightest. We're paying him a King's wage to perform and if he doesn't perform then the least he can do is put a shift in and I can't remember the last time he looked remotely bothered. He needs dropping for the foreseeable and there are so many players waiting in the wings who look like they can't wait to be unleashed, Kel and Lookman need to be unleashed and I'm not overly bothered who in the front line gets dropped for them because we need freshening up and nobody is playing out of their skin in an attacking sense for us. Madison is just so far off it it's depressing. 

Agree with all of this and not doing it is also demoralising for players like KDH and Daka too. Tielemans also needs to be subbed occasionally. Rodgers is not using the squad as skilfully as he might and it is affecting us badly. 

Genuinely think he’s completely crocked, rewatch the taking of the knee and watch his face when he has to get up.

I wonder if we keep playing him in the hope he does something so we can shift him for decent money at the first opportunity. I got laughed at for saying we should take £50m in the summer, anyone turn this down now?

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1