Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

He not right, but at least he's trying to battle through it. Seems it's just not working out for him.

I said on this forum, watching him last season on TV away at Southampton, he looked in discomfort and his body movements during the game indicated brewing issues.  He just had no fluidity.  Very disjointed.

This injury hopefully isn't career ending, but at the moment its certainly making him half the young player we bought from Norwich. 

He might not be everyone's cup of tea off the pitch, but I feel we as a fan base should accept he's not making this up and have some sympathy/support for the lad.

58 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Anyone got this clip? If he can barely stand up properly then what on earth is he doing playing?

I'd give him a month out minimum.

If he's playing while injured surely this would invalidate any insurance he has?.. what would happen he if sustained a very serious injury whilst playing with a hip problem?

Agreed madders needs help at the moment and some time & space to find his mojo again. I do so he's trying in the games maybe trying too hard in the absence of confidence I guess. It's a mental and physical battle and he needs to win over both. In the mean time Rogers needs to stop throwing him into frying pan. Let him work it out in training, U23's or EFL cup games. Give him a break from the big spotlight until he's ready. I blame the manager in this respect not madders. Go find a another effective way to play without madders BR we know you can. We have other players now so lets get this show back on the road enough of the floundering its not who we are! 

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

he isn't contributing at all, if he was playing badly but still putting in  the odd through ball for Vardy to score people would tolerate him playing through it but we are playing with 10 men with Maddison on the pitch and have more effective alternatives.

If he physically needs to play through it put him in the u23s to do that

Brendan quotes himself as a coach 1st & foremost & along with the man management he is lauded for he has probably been working hard with him in training & allowing him to try & play himself out of the rut, this has obviously not worked out & with him saying what he has said would suggest he will be getting some bench / EFL Cup / U23 time.

I know i would rather he tried to coach him through this period than hang him out to dry like the self named Special 1 did to Luke Shaw, that period almost destroyed him as a player & as a human being more importantly.

I'm certainly not a fan of the cancel culture that breeds within fans if a player is not a 8 he's dropped for the next game especially when none of us know what's happening behind closed doors with regards to mental state, injuries or who's doing/not doing the bizz in training etc.

I fully agree if he is trying to mask discomfort & telling the staff he is ok then he needs to be honest with himself as well as them & bench himself.

Looking at the clip where he's struggling taking the knee, he's clearly in some discomfort which is probably more common than we realise with footballers but that suggests he's really struggling and needs time out. Why are we risking making it worse when we actually have fit players and in better form that can play ahead of him. Brendan clearly doesn't have the best record when it comes to managing injuries. 

26 minutes ago, weller54 said:

If he's playing while injured surely this would invalidate any insurance he has?.. what would happen he if sustained a very serious injury whilst playing with a hip problem?

I think footballers play with injuries all the time. I’m sure I remember some player asked how often he’d been fully fit during his career and replying basically ‘never.’ And in a way that clearly meant ‘well, never, obvs, none of us are ever fully fit, you always have some injury or other.’

3 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Brendan quotes himself as a coach 1st & foremost & along with the man management he is lauded for he has probably been working hard with him in training & allowing him to try & play himself out of the rut, this has obviously not worked out & with him saying what he has said would suggest he will be getting some bench / EFL Cup / U23 time.

I know i would rather he tried to coach him through this period than hang him out to dry like the self named Special 1 did to Luke Shaw, that period almost destroyed him as a player & as a human being more importantly.

I'm certainly not a fan of the cancel culture that breeds within fans if a player is not a 8 he's dropped for the next game especially when none of us know what's happening behind closed doors with regards to mental state, injuries or who's doing/not doing the bizz in training etc.

I fully agree if he is trying to mask discomfort & telling the staff he is ok then he needs to be honest with himself as well as them & bench himself.

You thinking too binary, I dont think people here expect a player to be dropped for "one" bad game.

You seem to be thinking in extremes that we either drop a player for one bad game or we let a player play himself into form over the course of 20+ first team games whilst having to be carried by the rest of the team, it is a team/squad sport.

This isnt just a confidence issue either, he looks injured.  It is concerning that BR is so invested in one player, instead of recognising there is a whole squad of players.

So how long has this little rut lasted?

I believe it is currently 16 games and counting.

The problem as some others have said is not that he is just a bit off form, he is almost completely missing in every game he plays in, its like we playing with 10 men.

I watched his movement in the Brighton game after the injury points were made, and he isnt moving freely, he is pulling up in runs, not keeping up with opposing players etc.

Edited by Chrysalis
typo

On 20/09/2021 at 10:30, MonkeyTennis? said:

I really like the lad but he's not having the same impact he had a couple of seasons ago - he's not reading the game quite as well, he's not as clinical. I still think he's a very valuable, very exciting player on his day. 

There was a moment, not long ago, when he seemed to be on the cusp of greatness: called up for England, the Prem's most creative player, better than Grealish. Its a shame for him, and us, that his promise hasn't quite paid off yet. Right now, I'm not sure now that giving him more and more gametime is necessarily doing him any good. It looks like he's where Nacho was a couple of seasons ago - we played him quite a bit but he was lacking confidence and edge.

Who knows what physical or mental state he's in, and I don't think his game is far away from a turnaround, but maybe he also needs to be competing more to get in the squad and maybe he needs a bit more recovery work. 

Good post that, nicely balanced. Welcome to FT.

Careful with the rational stuff though, sometimes it isn't popular. :D

11 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Q: How do you help James Maddison get back to his best?

BR: “Time, patience, support. I think it’s understanding that no matter how confident someone is, and how good a player they are, they will always have a period in their career where the confidence isn’t quite there.”

“And it’s always about taking them back to the basics. You’ve got to work your socks off, you’ve got to work even harder. When you did that, that gives you confidence, and when you have that confidence, you have a greater chance of succeeding and playing to the highest level.”

"He’s a brilliant talent, he’s played many fantastic games for Leicester, and he will do that. He’s in a little moment where it’s not quite happening for him. He knows as well as anyone. He won’t feel sorry for himself. You’ve got to work, you’ve got to put even more into your game and into your life as a player. If you can do that, it gives you a chance to get back to your level.”

Can’t disagree with anything BR says, he’s aware he’s in a little rut and needs to play himself out of it although seems FT have decided he’s shite and need to sell ASAP and not give the lad our Time, patience & support.

I don’t think Madders will start at the W/end given Lookmans contribution v Brighton and link up with Ricardo but if he’s on the bench and does come on please can we give him our support, I think you’d be amazed what it would do for him mentally and then to his game.

....sometimes taking a player out of the firing line is a good as an idea, as trying to back him through resolute faith in him!!!

Game after game we watched Nacho being weighed down with the task of finding his form and the fear of letting his team down. The boos the cat calls, exasperation and his bewildered look as to why whatever he did, would seldom work out, so he tried even harder. That didn't work either so he stopped believing in himself, unsurprisingly he came to that party too late, as all but everyone had stopped believing in him some time ago. 

Eventually he was withdrawn and he has fought his way back, why can't we afford Maddison the same courtesy, in order to bring him from out of the hole he now finds himself in, and Rodgers needs to stop digging, because it is doing him (Maddison) no good.

This game is based on teamwork and its ethics should be aligned with merit in all honesty, but we continually choose to overlook players, capable of making a difference as we wait for a player, to come good, and it seems it doesn't really matter, how long it takes.

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 2

Was like going down to 10 men when he came on he’s so out of form . I’d have preferred Barnes to go off as he was looking tired and perhaps Daka on as he offered nothing and I think him getting completely benched and getting no minutes might give him the kick up tje arse he needs . 

Edited by baldeagle

10 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Well he came on with 10 minutes to go in a game in which we were all over the place so I’m not entirely sure what you were expecting.
Honestly if Maddison is top of your hit list/priorities after today then you’ve got a dumb agenda.

You’re just looking for someone to moan at, give it a rest.

I have no agenda if I did I’d be calling him a show pony or shit like others. He’s a top players whose out of form all  I’ve said is he’s massively out of form and did nothing hence the like going down to 10 men comment . And I suggest you look at some of my past posts you idiot as  you won’t  see me moaning regularly about players in fact  far from it . 

Edited by baldeagle

19 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Was like going down to 10 men when he came on he’s so out of form . I’d have preferred Barnes to go off as he was looking tired and perhaps Daka on as he offered nothing and I think him getting completely benched and getting no minutes might give him the kick up tje arse he needs . 

I thought he was better today than he’d been in a while. Had a few decent touches and was maliciously taken down by two players (who both should have been booked) after a neat turn. At least today, there was some light at the end of the tunnel 

29 minutes ago, Kierzz said:

Was a disgrace how much he got booed today when he came on. I don't care that he's been playing poor, no player deserves that.

Fans need to get behind him to try and help him find some form as we really miss his creativity.

Took it more as booing the decision to take lookman off.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

I have no agenda if I did I’d be calling him a show pony or shit like others. He’s a top players whose out of form all  I’ve said is he’s massively out of form and did nothing hence the like going down to 10 men comment . And I suggest you look at some of my past posts you idiot as  you won’t  see me moaning regularly about players in fact  far from it . 

You're obviously very ill. Keep taking the tablets. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

I thought he was better today than he’d been in a while. Had a few decent touches and was maliciously taken down by two players (who both should have been booked) after a neat turn. At least today, there was some light at the end of the tunnel 

Yes better but still not great . The guy loves to play football he’s said as much in interviews  and playing him to form hasn’t worked . Imo I think benching him and him not playing will give him the better kick up the ass he needs . I

of course I could be comp wrong .