Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

players have talked for years about when they or the team are playing badly having to be careful about public perception when they go on a night out, the interview is nothing but I would avoid posting some of the other stuff over social media right now if I were him, at least until I got some form back, its just a rod for your own back you don't need, right or wrong

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drumbeat said:

I'd wager public perception fuels some of the booing. 

exactly the story about him booking a round of golf for the day of the game when he was dropped for the Covid breach will have pissed many people off. He seems a bright lad in his interviews but he does some dumb PR stuff

3 hours ago, urban fox said:

Obviously struggling with things at the moment. Has it occurred to anyone that he may be worried sick that his hip problem is one of those injuries that will never truly go away, and could be seriously career limiting at the highest levels that he is aiming for, coming at a time that likely squashed any hopes he had of breaking into the national team? Add on that he has a new baby at home, losing sleep and all that entails (same thing happened to both Youri and Vardy who had dips in form when they had newborns at home). Yes he earns a fortune, but if you were in a position, new child, potential threat to long term career would you not be worried for the future?

BR has intimated that his form is a worry and that he needs to keep working and get his confidence back, no easy task if you worry that another injury could be around the corner, your body could let you down if you push too hard or too quickly etc. People forget that footballers are human beings too, young ones at that, and subject to the same psychological frailties as the rest of us and booing and slagging them off does not help.

I have no insight into his make-up or what makes him tick and only he, along with the clubs experts, will know whether he needs to take time out or try and play his way back to confidence and form. Either way we should give him our support as one of ours rather than slag him off.

Absolutely this. A few months back he looked on track for heading to the Euros and World Cup, all the talk was about how he was the best creator in the premiership. It must be beyond frustrating to have suffered such a persistent injury like he has. 

I haven't booed at a Leicester player since I was ten (Pleat era!). I'll yell and I'll moan, but I won't boo. I saw one poster saying that we're kinder to footballers than we are to our children, but I hope that if you see your kids playing, and they're not up to scratch, that you don't start jeering them!

That said, though I rate him, I can't accept that Maddison is getting a raw deal. An out-and-out boo boy is a lousy fan, but is that the case with everyone who ever boos? The impact of a negative reception on the form of highly-paid, under-performing sportsmen hasn't been thoroughly analysed. It could go either way. For most of this period of poor form, Maddison hasn't been booed at all, and that didn't help either. So I'm not sure those fans are doing anything terribly counter-productive.

If people boo, it may be because they don't agree that sportsmen are such self-effacing high-level pros that they don't need to hear negativity. On the contrary, participants at the top end of the game are becoming increasingly disconnected and self-entitled. The evidence points towards top players becoming more powerful in the game than they should be. Booing is a boorish way of going about it, but negative feedback is vital in this climate.

And how do the top clubs' fans react when they're seeing something sub-standard? Those occasionally-hostile receptions are part and parcel of a big club mentality, aren't they? On this point, for what it's worth, I remember McGhee once calling on fans to make more noise, even if it was negative. He said good players need both encouragement and a reminder that they're not doing enough.

I'm not saying impatience is a virtue. If Vestergaard were to be booed after a handful of games, and playing with an injury, I'd be uncomfortable. But on the other hand, I understand why others have been given a hard time in the past. In hindsight, it might not have been a bad thing for them. It's a wake-up call - sometimes for the player, sometimes for the person selecting him. After eight or nine months of poor form, you've got to be expecting that, if your club expects to compete with the top six.

As for Maddison's private life being dragged into it, you can't complain about this and then say 'go easy on him, he's just become a daddy'. I wish teachers, doctors, nurses and other vital, less handsomely-paid professionals were given the same consideration when their work is deemed sub-par. Rodgers said he needed to put more into his 'life as a footballer'. We know he's been disciplined for misconduct relating to his private life. People aren't exactly putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5000.

The truth is, he's a fine player (if not a top player) who has been awful for ages. So, predictably, people are getting on to him. The trick is for him to get his head down and stop being awful, at which point everything will be hunky dory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Madders is - on his day - a really great player and he's obviously a giddy young lad. I'll not forget the way he cheered the FA cup goal.

But he's been absolutely dreadful for ages. I would never boo him but I would say "come on Madders, either get your fvcking head down or work out this injury thing"

Genuinely, some time away is probably the best thing for him. 

It’s got to a point now where we shouldn’t vent on madders he’s taken quite enough heat. Any frustration needs to be aimed at Rogers who keeps throwing him into the firing line ffs. Put him out of his misery the kid needs therapy and some pressure relief. Move in to plan b.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruzFOX said:

It’s got to a point now where we shouldn’t vent on madders he’s taken quite enough heat. Any frustration needs to be aimed at Rogers who keeps throwing him into the firing line ffs. Put him out of his misery the kid needs therapy and some pressure relief. Move in to plan b.

It's alright, we've moved on to Vestegaard for a bit now. :D

I agree it is more Rogers that should take the heat more than individuals, if he keeps picking out of form players.

Edited by Vardinio'sCat
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

It's alright, we've moved on to Vestegaard for a bit now. :D

I agree it is more Rogers that should take the heat more than individuals, if he keeps picking out of form players.

Although I would personally we played without James for a bit, how does he get back into form if he isn’t playing?  :dunno:

We can guess there are non form related issues at play, but it’s just guesswork

Edited by Dahnsouff

40 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Although I would personally we played without James for a bit, how does he get back into form if he isn’t playing?  :dunno:

I get your point but I think a break helps, when your out of form it hangs heavy, you think about it all the time, its what you think of first when you wake up, when your not playing for a couple of games the fear and weight drop away slightly and when you start playing again your starting with a clean slate if that makes any sense.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yup, match fitness is a problem but a supersub role with cup games would be a way of waiting for him to find confidence, without ruining us.

• Like 2

Maddison is a top player.   He is not at his best level currently but showed some good touch as a sub on Saturday.

I would rather he was in the team.  But f he is not fit, we have options.

Anyone booing our own players is a bit of a jerk,  being entitled to an opinion should not lead to diminishing players.  It makes our fan base look pathetic too.

I would say we have ad two players not look good enough for our squad this season   I am not including Maddison.  One is new and may need players around to adapt to him.   The 9ther has 9ffered little over time.  Maddison, however, has shown how good he can be.   I , for one, am right behind him.  I think he will show his class again this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Hearing TalkSport do a piece on our fans booing Maddison and Brendan was embarrassing. Absolutely disgrace from our fans. Make more noise at a sub than the rest of the game. 

The comments from fans under the Talksport video on twitter and youtube saying Rodgers should be sacked for underperforming at Leicester were equally embarrassing. 

• Like 3

I actually wonder if not losing a 'name' this summer has somewhat worked against us.

Season after season we've had to watch our 'best' player leave for big money and found ourselves littered with exciting replacements.

As much as it would of been rubbish to see Youri, or indeed at the time Madders, go... I wonder if it's exactly that happening that has given us the determination and edge to prove doubters wrong,

Similarly you wonder whether having two or three in the dressing room who might have expected a big bid to come in for them and then seeing that not happen to be downbeat and struggling to motivate themselves.

If I go far in a recruitment process but just miss out it's always tricky to get back into the swing of things at an existing job, whilst it's very different i've no doubt footballers experience similar.

Also losing one of those two would have meant a need to rethink formations and bed in new players quicker, which might well have aided the starts for Daka and Soumare.