Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

What does ‘strolling over’ for a corner matter? 

Maybe it’s a moment for players to rest and catch their breath.

Stats show that a lot of the time an attacking corner is actually a risk of creating a counter/attacking chance for the opposition. 

So makes sense for the players to be ready to attack the corner/defend a counter. 

As I have stated previously, take a quick one before the other teams defence get set up. Keep them under pressure, we might have more chance scoring then. Not every time but when we’re in the ascendancy it would make sense to do this.

Also it shows the fans that there is urgency there and a will to win and that they care. Not saying that they don’t but it’s a better vibe to give off when we’re losing than half arsed walking. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Amartey was terrible. Thomas was weak. Vardy was ineffective. Tielemans & Evans, considering they were well rested in midweek, were below par. Soumare was lazy at times. Castagne only fancied getting forward properly when we went to a back 4.

Don't think Soyuncu did that much wrong and wasn't as bad as he has been in previous weeks.

Like I said, Maddison wasn't anything special yesterday, but neither were many others. 

To be fair in Evans, he was basically playing on his own at the back yesterday and I thought he wasn’t too bad. Amartey had a poor game after his good start to the season, and soyunco is just not cut out to play in a 3 at the back, positionally he’s all over the place. 

50 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Amartey was terrible. Thomas was weak. Vardy was ineffective. Tielemans & Evans, considering they were well rested in midweek, were below par. Soumare was lazy at times. Castagne only fancied getting forward properly when we went to a back 4.

Don't think Soyuncu did that much wrong and wasn't as bad as he has been in previous weeks.

Like I said, Maddison wasn't anything special yesterday, but neither were many others. 

It’s almost like it’s a team game and that the responsibility doesn’t lie with just one player, shock horror! 

• Like 1

Guest Danny Clender
1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

But just to check, you genuinely think that Maddison (108 apps, 22 goals, 15 assists) is a ‘pound shop’ version of Knockaert (72 apps, 5 goals, 7 assists). 

Also note that Knockaert was deemed not good enough for our premier league team. 

By all means, think that Maddison is poor or not good enough, but your specific arguments doesn’t stand up 

1 pound from Poundland for James Maddison would represent exceptional value and a first for buying a footballer from a high street store as opposed to the traditional buy from a football club method. It would out rank Mahrez as bang for buck.

51 minutes ago, StanSP said:

So it was only Maddison's fault?

Shite he gave the ball away, granted.

But there were at least 2 or 3 other times we could have stopped their move, got a block in, put a tackle in etc.

Don't get me wrong, Maddison's consistency needs to improve. He's had a good few weeks and while he wasn't the worst (by far) yesterday, he could have been better and imposed himself on the game. The free-kick was brilliant and more often than not that goes in. He's not solely to blame for us losing the game yesterday - but some people can't hop off their agenda to point out that there was more wrong in the team than what he did. 

Soumare and Amartey were deadly slower to react or at least get in the way of Smith-Rowe's shot. Thomas lazily just getting a foot in on the ball across the box, not being strong enough in the tackle in general.

Basically my point is - Maddison could be better, of course. There were others to 'blame' for yesterday's defeat moreso than him.

This does completely gloss over the main point you were responding to.

Given he's just given the ball away I'd like to think he'd put in an extra bit of effort to make amends. 

Watch him just let Lacazette drift to the edge of our box (the two players nearly touch in the clip, and Lacazette was closer to Arsenal's goal when Maddison lost the ball) 

https://youtu.be/d0m3H28tqb8?t=29

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

That's all great but I was specifically talking about the 2nd goal. 

3 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Given he's just given the ball away I'd like to think he'd put in an extra bit of effort to make amends. 

Watch him just let Lacazette drift to the edge of our box (the two players nearly touch in the clip, and Lacazette was closer to Arsenal's goal when Maddison lost the ball) 

I agree - he should have made more effort in that instance. Additionally we had enough players back there to avoid the goal at various points.

4 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Smith Rowe is completely free. Castange doesn't look back to once to see who's coming.

I don't know about poundshop Knockaert but he's becoming as disappointing Demarai "potential" Gray. He's been left behind in the competition for England places, and I'd probably put someone like Smith Rowe ahead of him right now too. For a supposed match-winner he simply doesn't win us many matches at all. 15 assists in 105 games is about one every seven and it's not good enough, especially for a guy who spends his social media effort pushing the JM10 nonsense as if he's the new David Beckham. He's closer to being the next David Bentley remembered more for being a clothes horse who scored the odd pearler than a quality international footballer.

• Like 4

He seems to have lots of attributes of a top modern footballer;

Good looking

Well groomed

Insta friendly

Extremely trendy

Always aware that there's a camera on him

Socially active

Great at interviews

Maybe I'm just old fashioned wanting him to burst his lungs to get back and tackle when he loses the ball, or when attacking their box. Sprinting doesn't seem to be in his repertoire.

He's a great fit for Arsenal, maybe less so for Leicester

Edited by 5waller5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Me too, what a nob 😅

40 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

He has a lot of frustrating attributes but nothing beats him strolling over to take corners at 2-0 down, rattles me beyond belief 😂

And clapping fans before taking corners, save that for the end of the match if we win.

• Like 2

Think a few other players need looking at before knocking Maddison's performance yesterday. In his defence it looked like he was pulled out from his basic No. 10 role midway through the first half in a tactical move by Rodgers as Arsenal were ripping into Thomas. It made a difference? We lost that game with a pitifully slow start as a team and another badly defended corner. Not sure why Maddison is due any more criticism than any of the others. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, adam said:

He seems to have lost the ability to run. Looks so laboured in midfield when we don't have the ball. He also wasted more time yesterday than the arsenal goalie with his corners. 

I watched him on Saturday and he actually looks like an old player that’s legs have gone, he can’t seem to get around the pitch anymore almost like he’s running through water

• Like 1

Came on to post pretty much what two posts above say. He has no explosive movement and seems to slow down forward play too often. I can read what he’s about to do most of the time and therefore fellow pros see it a mile off. Everything is that second too slow for this level 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, adam said:

He seems to have lost the ability to run. Looks so laboured in midfield when we don't have the ball. He also wasted more time yesterday than the arsenal goalie with his corners. 

I said this yesterday. He was on his haunches a couple of times in the second half and it wouldn't surprise me if the hip issue is still a problem. Maybe it's a similar thing to Andy Murray but whatever it is, it still seems to affect him.

12 hours ago, Blue-fox said:

To be fair in Evans, he was basically playing on his own at the back yesterday and I thought he wasn’t too bad. Amartey had a poor game after his good start to the season, and soyunco is just not cut out to play in a 3 at the back, positionally he’s all over the place. 

...so, if all these players are ineffective in these positions, why is Rodgers setting us up this way!!!

Half arsed run back after he lost the ball for their second and could have got to Lacazette who was totally unmarked and became instrumental in the lead up to Smith Rowe’s goal 

You wouldn’t have seen that from a West Ham or Leeds player. The overall team mentality needs to sharpen up. We are too pedestrian with and without the ball at the moment 

• Like 1

Arsenal was a bad game all around. But I have to admit Madders has stepped up recently. I think my greatest fear is that the injury is much more long term than we thought, with a massive knock to his confidence. 

I can't blame the lad for that. Having had an injury that set me back months, I know the feeling. You do pull your punches, so to speak. 

But what I can blame him for is making silly errors and not trying to either adapt himself to the game or pushing for the time he's on the pitch. 

As a 10, his position is under threat from Perez, which should not be happening.