Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

14 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

IMO our player of the season!

It's definitely between Vardy and Maddison for me. Vardy was our best player up until early November and Maddison has been our best player since early November.

Now Vardy's back, I think it's whoever performs best out of those 2 for the rest of the season should win it.

Just now, Devonfox1884 said:

Was that not Riyad? He’s scored against Huddersfield, Burnley and Southampton and that’s it as far as I can remember.

It possibly was Mahrez I was thinking of. I do remember Maddison scoring a few free-kicks in his first couple of seasons but feels like it was a long time since he scored one.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
31 minutes ago, Corky said:

Don't know why but his interview encouraged me. Hopefully the acknowledgement of the performances and results will lead to a collective desire to improve.

Hes definitely got his arse in gear this year. Literally.

11 goals now. Most in one season for us I think.

7 hours ago, katieakita said:

His game has not been helped by a clear easing of the laws of the game and he gets far less protection from Refs than before. How many times in a game has he turned or tricked a player to find a bit of space then been fouled or pulled back. In some games he gets fouled 4 or 5 times by the same player with no further punishment. If the opponent is on a yellow already they are going to leave him a little more space and time to create something. Some of the fouls are soft some are far more cynical, not watched much of him but probably a reason Grealish has struggled also this season.

...he goes down far too easily, he does not look to stay on his feet, their are players who are fouled wildly and seek to stay on their feet!!!

He does receive a few professional fouls and the paradox is that if a referee has a player on a yellow, there is a tendency not to give another booking as it would mean a sending off. For some teams (like ours) keeping your discipline is not rewarded but are indirectly punished when a referee seeks to keep all the players on the pitch when the rules show that a player should have been handed his second yellow.

I am sure Grealish is not playing in the way that he has previously, pretty much a settling period for next season. Mahrez went through the same process.

7 hours ago, eblair said:

anyone checked when he has scored free kicks for us

ones i can remember huddersifeld, randers and southampton all inconsequential; just waiting for him to score one at a big moment will be mega 

He also got one vs Newcastle in the League Cup once which was deflected and scored last season at home vs Liverpool.

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

All this talk of Grealish being on another level to Maddison is crap. Their numbers were always similar.

He had that purple year last year where everything went brilliantly. But since then, he's been below average. But since he's gone for £100m, too many pundits put him above everyone

5 hours ago, Corky said:

All this talk of Grealish being on another level to Maddison is crap. Their numbers were always similar.

....Grealish has grown up at least on the pitch, compared to Maddison!!!

Maddison has come on recently, being more consistent and producing goals and assists, but Grealish is above him in the pecking order rightfully. Look at Mahrez first season at Man. City, he did not get a look in and seemed an appendage. It is a transition that he (Grealish) is going through, Pep asking him to push his own boundaries, and it will have him hitting the ground running next season.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Maddison has come on recently, being more consistent and producing goals and assists, but Grealish is above him in the pecking order rightfully. Look at Mahrez first season at Man. City, he did not get a look in and seemed an appendage. It is a transition that he (Grealish) is going through, Pep asking him to push his own boundaries, and it will have him hitting the ground running next season.

Very good comparison with Mahrez both being big fish in small ponds and then struggle when that pond becomes a lake. Grealish will improve just because of the quality fish around him but not sure he will be the influence he was for Villa where as Mahrez has pulled some strings on and off for Man C in his following seasons.
Just not sure Grealish has anything other than being able to carry the ball prior to going to ground he needs to find some tricks otherwise he’ll find he’s being outplayed by Maddison due to game time and team influence.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

But he's still not a level above after all that.

Under Guardiola I think Maddison could improve too.

1 minute ago, Corky said:

But he's still not a level above after all that.

Under Guardiola I think Maddison could improve too.

....last season you would not even attempt to compare the two, one was leading his team to top half football and the other was floundering!!!

I see this season for Grealish as a transition and although Maddison has picked up recently and Grealish may be looking out of sorts, there is for me a marked difference. Grealish carried Villa for a few seasons and Maddison now and again has patches of play which brings him back into the conversation of an England place, but it is always a short lived occurrence. There is a marked difference between their maturity on the pitch, and Maddison needs an extended period of quality to prove himself.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
36 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Grealish needs to improve his end product significantly which for a £100m player is pretty mesmerising but I've little doubt that he won't improve. Pep will turn him in to a machine.

I said in the summer grealish was overrated but because he didn't play for one of the big boys, everyone fawned over him. Hes good but not that great. Mount is the best of the lot for me. ESR has a chance too.

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I said in the summer grealish was overrated but because he didn't play for one of the big boys, everyone fawned over him. Hes good but not that great. Mount is the best of the lot for me. ESR has a chance too.

There's something off with Mount too IMO. Certainly for England, not seen him have a good game for us when it's mattered.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Do not be surprised to see Maddison go on one of his goals and assists sprees again after last week, with England squad announcements in the coming weeks he knows he has to be in peak form to get a chance which he's missed out on too often.

He is a bit of a flat track bully... so it will depend who we are playing.

Edited by foxinsocks