Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

Just now, lifted*fox said:

i think you can argue he has the right definitely, but i think a truly quality player there spots barnes, squares it and sets the team into the second leg 2-1 up. 

im a fan and think he had a good game, but you've got to be making the right decision there. 

Yeah I get that, difference between good and great. 

I was just getting at when youve been scoring goals you want more and only have eyes for goal in that position. Can't blame him but yes, he should have squared it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

1 tame shot on target out of about 11 attempts and an unbelievable decision to shoot instead of squaring to Barnes. Tidy on the ball (but you know, this is a bare minimum expecation of a player of his talent), but not a good game from James tonight. I like that he's willing to have a pop, but to miss to badly and so often, you've got to be marked down for it. Another night he'd have his eye in early and probably have a couple of goals.

4 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

i think you can argue he has the right definitely, but i think a truly quality player there spots barnes, squares it and sets the team into the second leg 2-1 up. 

im a fan and think he had a good game, but you've got to be making the right decision there. 

2 minutes ago, browniefox said:

Yeah I get that, difference between good and great. 

I was just getting at when youve been scoring goals you want more and only have eyes for goal in that position. Can't blame him but yes, he should have squared it. 

If an  already recognized top Player ,doesn't square it, you Let it ride...Its football ,should's do not exsist on Football fields

If he had scored...No questions asked..I

We Enjoy those who take on those questions that Open up the game. Some work,some dont..Front 6 Player must be allowed Space in such moments..

Not forgetting Maddison through the season as given the ball & seen them wasted..

Both ways..a normal game moment, some win that coconut,some dont..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

If an  already recognized top Player ,doesn't square it, you Let it ride...Its football ,should's do not exsist on Football fields

If he had scored...No questions asked..I

We Enjoy those who take on those questions that Open up the game. Some work,some dont..Front 6 Player must be allowed Space in such moments..

Not forgetting Maddison through the season as given the ball & seen them wasted..

Both ways..a normal game moment, some win that coconut,some dont..

Do "square it ya mutton chopped b*llend" exist, definitely did in my living room lol :D

Agreed on the sentiments though, I'd rather he's got it in his mind that he wants to try and make something happen. It's a rare thing in a team as passive as ours.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Corky said:

Probably tried to be too cute at times but he always wants to be involved, you can't fault his enthusiasm. 

Even his less effective displays this season haven't been terrible.

yep worked very hard and maybe a bit to hard at times. will be key next week.

7 minutes ago, Stephen Hughes said:

I’m watching a different game to some, best player on the pitch.

Not the worse but far from being the best. I think KDH, Fofana and Lookman were better by a distance.

Edited by sm1
  • Haha 1

Excellent tonight, he helped us tick. Always offering himself as an option, always trying to make space. Should have passed to Barnes to make it 2-1, but I just think there was pressure on him and he over-thought it.

He's going to make the difference next week.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Not having that. Maddison was giving Roma massive headaches around their 18 yard box. He was our best attacking option with Lookman. KDH did some nice bits but for me his was a 6/10 performance today. 

...he did cause them problems in the #10 role, as he was dropping deep and effectively in the #8 role within the game!!!

Roma has struggled with a 3-4-1-2 and we did have the opportunity to switch to that format, by taking Albrighton off and Soyuncu on, Lookman alongside Vardy upfront, with Maddison in the #10 role feeding two players running into space for him to service.

I thought Roma looked threatening on the break and perhaps they will not have to change so much (in the return leg) as wait and set traps for us, when we opt to push forward.

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Not having that. Maddison was giving Roma massive headaches around their 18 yard box. He was our best attacking option with Lookman. KDH did some nice bits but for me his was a 6/10 performance today. 

KDH had a good first half putting in a great through ball for Lookman and was a  constant menace to Roma on the Left. Granted he was quiet in the 2nd half. Maddison by contrast, I think was in one of his selfish moods, just felt like he was trying too hard for some reason. He saw alot of the ball but was just taking pot shots from all angles, most of which ended in the stands. The one time he really could've influenced the game he decided to take a shot, when Barnes could've got an easy 2nd goal. His game was perfectly summed up in the end, when he was in a good attacking position, but dived on the ground and held the ball waiting for a free kick, but instead he got penalised for hand ball. I just feel he needs to calm down alittle and he'll be far more influential in the away game.

8 hours ago, sm1 said:

Not the worse but far from being the best. I think KDH, Fofana and Lookman were better by a distance.

Dewsbury-Hall? Thought he was very mediocre and kept struggling to keep the ball in tight areas. Maddison on the other hand completely ran the game and almost everything good we were doing was going through him.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Dewsbury-Hall? Thought he was very mediocre and kept struggling to keep the ball in tight areas. Maddison on the other hand completely ran the game and almost everything good we were doing was going through him.

Would tend to agree, but felt KDH might need a rest (Which he cannot really get right now)

• Like 1

Maddison showed his quality tonight but I feel he tried to be too cute with his long shots! Sometimes just put your foot through the ball, he needs to prioritise getting his shots out of the area on target.

Saying that tho I really enjoyed his performance and we need this guy as our number 10 as much as possible.

I believe Maddison is tasked with having a pop. Or at least that's how I've read his comments. It's noticeable that some players won't, or rarely, take it on. Team orders? Dunno but it's certainly noticeable that Madders will let fly in positions where other players would be knocking it square.