Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

Yep. If Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Sancho, Lingard or Gallagher are selected ahead of Maddison in the next England Squad then i'm afraid i'm done with Southgate. 

His numbers are unreal. His ability to unlock weak teams particularly and supply and score goals is pretty much unrivalled by English attacking midfielders. A lot off them struggle without their international superstar clubmates to bail them out. 

The thing about Maddison and Barnes is that they are the major creative forces in our team alongside Vardy and Dewsbury-Hall. When Grealish, Sterling and Foden are in the england team you can see how much they miss the support of Silva, De Bruyne, Gundogan and Mahrez and end up playing the same football but without the X Factor in front of goal. That's why i'd have Maddison definitely and would try and get Barnes in the squad as well - because they just deliver threat on their own.

I think it's only right that he gets in the Nations League squad. The World Cup squad is a different matter but he's earned the chance to show what he can do in an England shirt and to show he can get Southgate's trust.

• Like 2

The only positive about Southgates omissions of the lad is that it seems entirely personal for some reason. He's got an opinion of Maddison and thats not going to change even if he moved to Man City, Liverpool or Real Madrid. The positive is that it means Maddison will not be as pushy for a move because someones told him he needs to be playing for a bigger club.

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Pleased for him, he does seem to have knuckled down a bit. Know there was some statpadding in the last few games but deservedly our POTY. Hope he can keep it up - when he plays well generally the whole team does.

Yes since that spell on the sidelines it’s like he has taken a look at himself and come out with a new attitude and desire. His work rate has notched up significantly and really contributes much more in and out of possession. My missus whispered in my ear that he doesn’t fall down as much. Really has become the player we all wanted him to be. I got a great photo of him and KDH together with the baby. He really has become the main man over the last six months or so. 

Guest Col city fan
32 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Yet he'll be picked by Southgate in a heartbeat

Don’t you just know it…

Personally though I’m not bothered. I’d rather Maddison rest up and come back firing for Leicester next season

Im really not bothered about the England team 

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Don’t you just know it…

Personally though I’m not bothered. I’d rather Maddison rest up and come back firing for Leicester next season

Im really not bothered about the England team 

Internationals don’t really interest me, all about club footy. Madders being in the team is the only way I’ll give a crap. I want him to get in the squad because he deserves to be. 

• Like 3

On 22/05/2022 at 21:04, tom27111 said:

Southgate is the reason that a lot of English fans have fallen out of love with watching England.

But dull football has got them to a final and a semi.

I guess this opinion is for another topic, but England have the potential to play sensational football AND get results.

Unfortunately, the coach dictates they don't.

Before the last tournament I felt the same, we got to the final so admitted that I was in the wrong. But I still feel the same now and I can’t control that, I’ve always enjoyed the success of Leicester more than England but I still always got up for England, especially in tournaments.

I don’t think it’s just the dull football though, it’s the player selections again, overlooking players in great form for average or underperforming favourites, when at first I thought he was going to be different in this regard. His reason for not picking Drinkwater, “he’s not been through the system” says all you need to know about the England set up. 

1 hour ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

It's Southgate so Maddison won't be picked. 

Tomori been a rock at CB for AC Milan and won the league.

He won't be in. It'll be same old Maguire, Mings, Coady rubbish.

Southgate originally said he'd pick players on form but he never has done and never will.

I wonder why Southgate relates so much to players that f**k penalties in the Euros :ph34r:

To be fair, I get why England would be wary of using Serie A as a guide, Lukaku was a world beater there and Tammy Abraham, Marko Arnautović and Gerard Deulafou are amongst the top scorers in the league. I’m not convinced Smalling is any better than he was at ManUtd. Tomori is a bit different as he’s a youngish player and his competition is Mings who even most Villa fans seem to think is crap.

Edited by Sampson

2 minutes ago, NasPb said:

If i were Maddison id switch to Ireland. I'm not English mind you but I'd rather play than not internationally. Southgate is a biased manager we all know this 

I agree with you, but Maddison’s cap was in a qualifier so he can’t. Also not really sure how much connection he feels to his Irish roots.

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

To be fair, I get why England would be wary of using Serie A as a guide, Lukaku was a world bearer there and Tammy Abraham, Marko Arnautović and Gerard Deulafou are amongst the top scorers in the league. I’m not convinced Smalling is any better than he was at ManUtd. Tomori is a bit different as he’s a youngish player and his competition is Mings who even most Villa fans seem to think is crap.

Lukaku had put up good figures here before though, also Arnautović and Deulofeu are bottom end of the top 10 scorers level with a few others. It would be comparable to saying the Premier League isn't a good guide as Zaha and Toney are amongst them.