Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

46 minutes ago, enmac said:

What annoyed me most about the Southgate interview is when asked about Maddison he replied that "he's had a good end of the season." He's had SEVEN MOM on Fotmob since November 25th!

Now, I like Ian Wright but he made a similar comment on the final MotD of the season until Gary corrected him. Now, Wrighty is just one bloke so can be forgiven for overlooking Maddison. I know he's a big fan of Vardy but he probably isn't paying too much attention to our games. Southgate on the other hand, must have a whole team of people watching players play and analysing them. If they can't see how good Maddison has been since he properly got over his injury, then he has no hope.

Even the excuse that 'he's only a #10' doesn't wash anymore. He's played in various positions and he's excelled. Yes, he's at his best centrally but he could easily play on the right of a front three and with the talent in the squad  there are all manner of combinations available to Southgate in that front three and midfield. With four games coming up, Maddison deserved a go, to see what he can do in the event that someone like Foden or Mount is injured for the World Cup.

I like Southgate generally. He's led England admirably and reached heights I'd never before witnessed in my lifetime. He's also a responsible coach whose grasp of social issues is spot on and who empowers his players to be responsible and generally good people. But, I really don't agree with the decision to omit Maddison after the season he's had.

• Like 3

Southgate is the ideal yes man and FA puppet, he’ll be manager for sometime now and Maddison won’t get a sniff 

It seems just the same as Izzet and Zaha, if the manager doesn’t like you then you have no chance no matter what you do, he needs to start checking if he has any Irish or welsh ancestors

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

I looked it up, and there's scope for "one cap wonders" to switch countries. Would love him for Ireland. Kenny plays a passing game and all, so he'd be well suited to it 😁

You'd think they'd be really pushing for that right now, using the Nations League to get him up to speed for the next round of qualifiers to try and make the difference...  Could be a big choice for Madderz to make...

8 hours ago, Facecloth said:

What impression do you lot get from fans of other teams about what they think of Maddison? My mates a Newcastle fan. Talking to him earlier, he said he's glad he missed out as he thinks he's a knob. I asked why he thought that, he said he'd done stupid things. When pressed on that he could name anything he'd done.

I think he seems like a very likeable lad. Come across well in interviews, has slight cheeky humorous side to him, plays with a smile on his face, rarely in the papers for doing anything wrong apart from his fashion. Bias aside I think he's one of the most likeable players in the league.

I’m in the England Supporters Travel Club, on the FB pages they all said the same, said he hasn’t been picked because Southgate wants harmony in the dressing room, doesn’t want idiots and wants players he can rely on. 

12 months I might have agreed slightly, but this season he’s been completely different, absolute tragedy he hasn’t been picked. 

• Like 1

Really don't know what he has got to do to get a place in the England set up. The most in form attacking midfielder of the year so far. Absolute joke. 

The tragedy is that he will be wondering if the bigger club is the only way for him to go to get fully noticed which could potentially disturb our summer. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

I looked it up, and there's scope for "one cap wonders" to switch countries. Would love him for Ireland. Kenny plays a passing game and all, so he'd be well suited to it 😁

Only if you played friendlies. Declan Rice had 3 friendly caps for Ireland.

Maddison got his cap in a qualifier so can’t switch.

• Thanks 1

This is exactly why we will never win a trophy under Southgate.

Claims to pick players on form but clearly has his favourites.

If 30 goals & assists isn’t good enough then it’s quite clear there’s an agenda.

Gallagher hasn’t had any goal contributions for 3 months but has somehow made the squad lol 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, shiv said:

This is exactly why we will never win a trophy under Southgate.

Claims to pick players on form but clearly has his favourites.

If 30 goals & assists isn’t good enough then it’s quite clear there’s an agenda.

Gallagher hasn’t had any goal contributions for 3 months but has somehow made the squad lol 

Exactly ..  any manager that ignores a form player is not the type you want. Prehistoric blinkered thinking. 

Guest Col city fan
5 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

If the best group of players ever include Maguire and Stones as CBs , Moore and Charlton must be spinning in their graves. Only Kane and possibly Sterling are genuinely world class.

I think picking Maguire over Chris Smalling (on currrent form) is ridiculous tbh

Maguire has been dog-shit this season 

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

If Southgate is not going to pick Maddison now, I doubt that he will ever pick him again. On how well Southgate has led England, and the heights he's got England too, there is a valid argument to say has we had someone other than Southgate in charge of that group of players, that England would now be current World Cup holders and Europeon Champions. Personally I think Southgate is too cautious as a manager, doesnt learn from his mistakes, and is wasting the best group of players at his disposal since 1970. It would have been controversial but I would have sacked him after the Euros, for those very reasons. Too cautious, don't learn from mistakes he's made, and scandalously wasting such talent 

I agree with you to an extent. There are a lot of games where Southgate could loosen the shackles by not using a double pivot. We don't need that in every game. But, on the other hand, I look at the previous 'Golden Generation' of players that were completely mismanaged by Sven, McClaren, etc. Those players were lighting up the Premier League and being involved in teams that won European titles. Yet, when they came together it was as if they didn't know each other.

I can see why Southgate has his tactics. Controlling a knockout game is super important because of how crucial and unpredictable the games can be. But, I do think he goes too far sometimes. We don't need Rice and Phillips or Rice and Henderson in every game. We could just use Rice as the screen in front of the defenders and play with two more forward-thinking midfielders instead. Sven's reign was completely the other way. Gerrard and Lampard in the middle didn't work. Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes in the same team in a 4-4-2 definitely didn't work. Carrick (or, later, Hargreaves) should have played a lot more for England and created a lot more balance to the team. As it was, Gerrard and Lampard could never really master the 'while one goes, the other sits' theory and opposition teams had far too much space to play in between midfield and defence.

I'd say Sven's mismanagement of England was far more heinous than Southgate's. That group of players we had should have made it beyond a quarter-final. But the animosity between the players because of their club rivalry and the lack of balance and the correct system to suit the players cost us. Joe Cole was another criminally underused player, for example. With Southgate, I agree he is overly cautious at times and with the array of attacking talent we have, he should be letting those players express themselves more and forgoing the double pivot in some of the games. However, he's got all the players buying into what he's doing and to a man they all say how much they enjoy going away to play for England. Having the players enjoy international breaks is half the battle won, in my opinion.

Yes, under a different manager, we could have won one if not both of the tournaments Southgate has been in charge for. But which manager? Allardyce, the guy Southgate replaced? I doubt it. Hodgson? I wouldn't bet on it. Mourinho? Possibly, but if you're looking for all-out attack with him, you'll be waiting a long time. Wenger? Maybe, it's impossible to say. Southgate took over at a time when the team needed him and I think he's done a really admirable job at getting a proper team together and making everyone from the youth teams up feel like they're involved. I think he's done a great job. But he definitely should have picked Maddison for this squad.

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

Only if you played friendlies. Declan Rice had 3 friendly caps for Ireland.

Maddison got his cap in a qualifier so can’t switch.

The highlighted part is incorrect. 

The FIFA 2020 Congress rules changes permits players to switch, even if they played in a competitive game (up to 3 games) - but only provided it was before they turned 21 (so wouldn't apply to Madders).

Edited by NaijaFox

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I think picking Maguire over Chris Smalling (on currrent form) is ridiculous tbh

Maguire has been dog-shit this season 

Smalling also has experience in winning trophies.

Would love him at Leicester to be honest.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I agree with you to an extent. There are a lot of games where Southgate could loosen the shackles by not using a double pivot. We don't need that in every game. But, on the other hand, I look at the previous 'Golden Generation' of players that were completely mismanaged by Sven, McClaren, etc. Those players were lighting up the Premier League and being involved in teams that won European titles. Yet, when they came together it was as if they didn't know each other.

I can see why Southgate has his tactics. Controlling a knockout game is super important because of how crucial and unpredictable the games can be. But, I do think he goes too far sometimes. We don't need Rice and Phillips or Rice and Henderson in every game. We could just use Rice as the screen in front of the defenders and play with two more forward-thinking midfielders instead. Sven's reign was completely the other way. Gerrard and Lampard in the middle didn't work. Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes in the same team in a 4-4-2 definitely didn't work. Carrick (or, later, Hargreaves) should have played a lot more for England and created a lot more balance to the team. As it was, Gerrard and Lampard could never really master the 'while one goes, the other sits' theory and opposition teams had far too much space to play in between midfield and defence.

I'd say Sven's mismanagement of England was far more heinous than Southgate's. That group of players we had should have made it beyond a quarter-final. But the animosity between the players because of their club rivalry and the lack of balance and the correct system to suit the players cost us. Joe Cole was another criminally underused player, for example. With Southgate, I agree he is overly cautious at times and with the array of attacking talent we have, he should be letting those players express themselves more and forgoing the double pivot in some of the games. However, he's got all the players buying into what he's doing and to a man they all say how much they enjoy going away to play for England. Having the players enjoy international breaks is half the battle won, in my opinion.

Yes, under a different manager, we could have won one if not both of the tournaments Southgate has been in charge for. But which manager? Allardyce, the guy Southgate replaced? I doubt it. Hodgson? I wouldn't bet on it. Mourinho? Possibly, but if you're looking for all-out attack with him, you'll be waiting a long time. Wenger? Maybe, it's impossible to say. Southgate took over at a time when the team needed him and I think he's done a really admirable job at getting a proper team together and making everyone from the youth teams up feel like they're involved. I think he's done a great job. But he definitely should have picked Maddison for this squad.

I agree with much of what you say, but I stilk think we could have got a much better and more competent manager than Southgate, although given its the FA that would be choosing that manager, i dare say they would balls it up anyway to be fair

• Like 2