Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

1 hour ago, Shane said:

Smalling also has experience in winning trophies.

Would love him at Leicester to be honest.

Said this for a while. Really good player. Was Man Utds best defender for a long time and they shoved him out. But shirt sales over performance I guess. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I know this sounds a bit tin hat. But do you think the FA encourages England managers not to pick players from “smaller” clubs to encourage the players to move to one of the big 6? 

Puts them in a smaller pool of players training amongst themselves. Convenient to not have to scout teams outside the 6. Yes it's what the FA do unfortunately 

Edited by TK95
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shiv said:

This is exactly why we will never win a trophy under Southgate.

Claims to pick players on form but clearly has his favourites.

If 30 goals & assists isn’t good enough then it’s quite clear there’s an agenda.

Gallagher hasn’t had any goal contributions for 3 months but has somehow made the squad lol 

Yeh but Gally ticks Gareth’s big 6 box being a Chelsea player. Why he’s so obsessed with those teams when he never played for one in his career I don’t know. 

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I think picking Maguire over Chris Smalling (on currrent form) is ridiculous tbh

Maguire has been dog-shit this season 

To be fair, even if Maguire has been out of form for Man U, he always performs for England so cant really argue with his selection unless he starts playing badly for England too.

15 hours ago, MalletFox said:

Let’s be about right, if Maddison can’t break into an England squad after providing 30 goal contributions this season, then quite frankly, the poor lad hasn’t got a chance under this manager.

Grealish is out on the p!ss in Ibiza now, so if it’s a “character” related call then it’s a load of old tosh quite frankly. He’s got his favourites and that’s that. Even the likes of Gallagher at Palace has fell out of form, he was hopeless down here a few weeks ago but waltzes into an England squad.

I’m not normally one to get too hyped up about anti-Leicester type viewpoints, but it seems pretty clear Southgate has a red mark against Madders for whatever reason(s).

Absolutely bang on

• Like 1

4 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

If the best group of players ever include Maguire and Stones as CBs , Moore and Charlton must be spinning in their graves. Only Kane and possibly Sterling are genuinely world class.

Trent, Walker, James, Foden, Rice not world class then? 

5 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I know this sounds a bit tin hat. But do you think the FA encourages England managers not to pick players from “smaller” clubs to encourage the players to move to one of the big 6? 

I doubt it, otherwise, James Justin would not be in or Ward-Prowse.  It looks to me blatantly there is a personality clash there.  Picking Gallagher, JWP a load of right backs and not Maddison is an absolute disgrace.

What makes it worse is because of the cap in a qualifier, he is nullified in playing international football while Southgate is there.  He would undoubtedly be Irelands star player if he was allowed to play for them.  You have to feel sorry for him.

5 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

If the best group of players ever include Maguire and Stones as CBs , Moore and Charlton must be spinning in their graves. Only Kane and possibly Sterling are genuinely world class.

People have vastly overplayed how good this England squad is, the golden generation is much better on paper, we've just had a manager with a clear system and played people mostly to their positions rather than shoehorning in stars even if it didn't work. We've got a good young up and coming promising 11 but it's by no means the level people tout it at, probably even more credit to Southgate that it is viewed like that 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Find it weird people saying he should switch to Ireland, he'd go down in my estimations if he did that 

Why? He deserves to be an international footballer and England under Southgate will not give him that chance.

8 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Why? He deserves to be an international footballer and England under Southgate will not give him that chance.

You don't play international football for the sake of playing international football, it's to play for your country. He clearly has no significant feeling that he's Irish else he'd have tried to declare for them beforehand. It would show he's got a weak mentality to take the easiest option and play for the England b team rather than carrying on this form into next season and continue to give Southgate a headache .

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

You don't play international football for the sake of playing international football, it's to play for your country. He clearly has no significant feeling that he's Irish else he'd have tried to declare for them beforehand. It would show he's got a weak mentality to take the easiest option and play for the England b team rather than carrying on this form into next season and continue to give Southgate a headache .

I agree that a player should represent a country they have a close affinity to, not just as a career move.

That being said, I would love him to just post on twitter "Southgate's a bellend" or something though.

• Like 1

People should represent any country they like. Don’t understand why in this day and age they need to feel an “affinity” to a country to play for it.

I don’t feel any particular affinity to England or the UK despite it being the only nationality I qualify for, it’s just a set of imaginary lines I had no choice being born between. I’d still play for them at football though. If I had some Irish grandparent I’d never met I’d also feel no problem playing for them.

It’s just a game, it shouldn’t be an exercise in proving how patriotic you are.

24 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

You don't play international football for the sake of playing international football, it's to play for your country. He clearly has no significant feeling that he's Irish else he'd have tried to declare for them beforehand. It would show he's got a weak mentality to take the easiest option and play for the England b team rather than carrying on this form into next season and continue to give Southgate a headache 

Southgate has shown incredible hypocrisy singling out Maddison and not applying the same standards to Maguire, Walker, Grealish etc.

Maddison may not be in line for a starting position which wouldn't be objected to as much but he is worth a call up to the squad at the very least. 

Decisions like this will only lead to players getting seriously disgruntled and they may look to the other home nations.

25 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I can almost guarentee that there are lots of players who do this. Aymeric Laporte is about as spanish as Shinji Okazaki

13 hours ago, Luttfox said:

Southgate is the ideal yes man and FA puppet, he’ll be manager for sometime now and Maddison won’t get a sniff 

It seems just the same as Izzet and Zaha, if the manager doesn’t like you then you have no chance no matter what you do, he needs to start checking if he has any Irish or welsh ancestors

Maddison, I believe, has an Irish grandparent and so he could definitely play for them. If I was him I'd wait to see what happens in the World Cup. If England have a disastrous tournament, there's a small chance that Southgate gets the push. If not, he'll be there for another 4 years at least. In that event Maddison should switch. 

15 hours ago, Silverfox14 said:

Was not really intending to fully engage with this World Cup for wider reasons than player selection but ……..now looking like selection will be further issue.

I'll be watching the England games hoping they lose. 

26 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Southgate has shown incredible hypocrisy singling out Maddison and not applying the same standards to Maguire, Walker, Grealish etc.

Maddison may not be in line for a starting position which wouldn't be objected to as much but he is worth a call up to the squad at the very least. 

Decisions like this will only lead to players getting seriously disgruntled and they may look to the other home nations.

It's not hypocrisy though, the three you've mentioned have credit in the bank and have delivered for him and he trusts them based on that. Maddison doesn't have that yet and all he can do is keep performing because he should be looking at Gallagher now and saying I want that spot for Qatar 

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

It's short term thinking, Southgate will be long gone before long and Madders will get his opportunity. If he switches to Ireland then it's like playing for a championship team (no disrespect intended) for the rest of your career as you can't switch to another country again.