Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

1 hour ago, blueharmie said:

I'm glad he's not been called up, then he can't get his head turned like Chilwell and the rest of the nobheads that play for England. 

He should of been in the squad but basically Southgate is beaver faced Dickhead. 

This is an excellent point, Chilwell had his head turned on England duty.

31 minutes ago, Sampson said:

People should represent any country they like. Don’t understand why in this day and age they need to feel an “affinity” to a country to play for it.

I don’t feel any particular affinity to England or the UK despite it being the only nationality I qualify for, it’s just a set of imaginary lines I had no choice being born between. I’d still play for them at football though. If I had some Irish grandparent I’d never met I’d also feel no problem playing for them.

It’s just a game, it shouldn’t be an exercise in proving how patriotic you are.

Really? I find that incredibly weird. 

I'm not some raging patriotic but I wouldn't play for any other country than England just because I could. I've lived here my whole life and supported them in tournaments since I knew what footie was. To go and play for another nation would be super weird and robotic in my opinion.

To not want to represent a country that means something to you is quite sad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

I'm not some raging patriotic but I wouldn't play for any other country than England just because I could. I've lived here my whole life and supported them in tournaments since I knew what footie was. To go and play for another nation would be super weird and robotic in my opinion.

I disagree. You can have a connection with more than one country if it's part of your family. You can be patriotic to more than one country IMO. 

23 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Why is it robotic? Why is it sad? Why does any country need to “mean” anything to you? Why do you need to *feel* any connection to a set of imaginary lines on a map to play a football game in which you represent them?

What’s the difference between a player who didn’t grow up supporting Leicester or not from Leicester like say, Kasper Schmeichel, Wes Morgan or Jamie Vardy representing Leicester to a great level for many years than someone representing Ireland when they’ve never visited there and didn’t know their grandparent who came from there?

Maybe they are good friends with their teammates and enjoy the working environment. I remember Wes Morgan once said he loved the players and made lots of great friends playing for Jamaica. I can guarantee he rarely visited there and felt little connection to the country before playing for them. Doesn’t mean he still didn’t enjoy his job or make great friends or have a good time representing Jamaica.

The only difference is some weird traditions we give internationals in football. Especially in the UK where England has very little actual meaning as a legal entity and is essentially just a cultural “country” than a real one. Even though people in Liverpool are probably a lot closer culturally to people in Wrexham or Dublin than the people of rural Devon (I mean they even basically speak in Scouse accents in Wrexham).

It’s just a job at the end of the day. Find it really weird people demand that footballers should have some loosely defined “sense of attachment” to a place to play for them in international football, especially when they really don’t care about it in club football.

Edited by Sampson

27 minutes ago, filbertway said:

He wants to play international football, if he's not getting a chance with england, he has every right to take his talents elsewhere.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, enmac said:

I disagree. You can have a connection with more than one country if it's part of your family. You can be patriotic to more than one country IMO. 

This is why I was careful to say a country you have an affinity to. I have a friend that has an French mum, Irish dad and born and raised in England, they were the example I was thinking of when I posted that :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

He wants to play international football, if he's not getting a chance with england, he has every right to take his talents elsewhere.

Of course he does, I'm not denying him that right.

To you and @Sampson that's just my take on it. Club football is up for grabs, I'd play for Forest if it paid well.

International sport for me is about showing the best talent that the country can produce and I think it should be special to represent a country. Whether that be your dad, I'm sure Mahrez chose Algeria because it was what his dad would have wanted. You visited Romania because your mother is from there. Or just wanting to represent the country you were born in.

It's just my opinion on the matter chaps, I don't control players actions or have a say in what they do, so you can rest easy :D 

Choosing to play for a team because "it's allowed in the rules" and not because you've got an affinity for the place is daft to me. It's not a day job, it should be a priviledge to represent your nation, not a career move.

17 minutes ago, filbertway said:

To you and @Sampson that's just my take on it. Club football is up for grabs, I'd play for Forest if it paid well.

International sport for me is about showing the best talent that the country can produce and I think it should be special to represent a country. Whether that be your dad, I'm sure Mahrez chose Algeria because it was what his dad would have wanted. You visited Romania because your mother is from there. Or just wanting to represent the country you were born in.

It's just my opinion on the matter chaps, I don't control players actions or have a say in what they do, so you can rest easy :D 

Choosing to play for a team because "it's allowed in the rules" and not because you've got an affinity for the place is daft to me. It's not a day job, it should be a priviledge to represent your nation, not a career move.

It absolutely is a day job though. Most supporters have a warped view of thinking all footballers are obsessed with football and have no life outside the game. Remember Robert Huth saying after he retired he realised what a bizarre bubble football is and how so many fans forget it’s just a job and doesn’t matter when it comes to it.

I just don’t really understand your argument, it doesn’t make any sense. You’ve not really given any reason why you distinguish the need to feel “affinity” to the part of the map you’re representing in international football but not football. It’s all well and good saying “it’s just my opinion”, but I don’t understand the logic or reasoning behind your argument.

Most Northern Irish athletes in track and field, even strong unionists will choose to represent Ireland over Great Britain because they have a lot more chance of going to the Olympics representing Ireland where they’re competing with 5 million people than GB where they’re competing with nearly 70 million. 

Edited by Sampson

3 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Seen some odd takes but Sampson's is one of the oddest, almost makes it more hilarious that his Ava looks like a robot 

What’s strange about it? Again, no one is giving any actual reasons as to why you have to feel you have to demand “affinity” to the part of the map you represent at international football but don’t care about it club football. Most people wouldn’t care one iota who represented England or why if it brought them success. We saw that in cricket through the likes of Kevin Pieterson who had very little connection to England and just chose us because he couldn’t get into the national sides of his birth at the time.

It is a robot yeah. What’s robotic about not thinking people should have to have some weirdly ill defined affinity to who they represent at international football when that doesn’t matter at club football though? Seems like questioning people just accept ting that as some weird tradition even though they can give no real explanation for it is the opposite of robotic to me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It absolutely is a day job though. Most supporters have a warped view of thinking all footballers are obsessed with football and have no life outside the game. Remember Robert Huth saying after he retired he realised what a bizarrely bubble football is and how so many forget it’s just a job and doesn’t matter when it comes to it.

I just don’t really understand your argument, it doesn’t make any sense. You’ve not really given any reason why you distinguish the need to feel “affinity” to the part of the map you’re representing in international football but not football. It’s all well and good saying “it’s just my opinion”, but I don’t understand the logic or reasoning behind your argument.

Most Northern Irish athletes in track and field, even strong unionists will choose to represent Ireland over Great Britain because they have a lot more chance of going to the Olympics representing Ireland where they’re competing with 5 million people than GB where they’re competing with nearly 70 million. 

It's just how I've always known it. Countries compete against each other. You represent the country you've lived in most of your life or one of your parent's if you feel an affinity to them. There's a pride in representing them that surpasses professional pride.

I've never thought about it too much which is why I don't have a logical answer for you to be honest.

International football shouldn't be about profession or money, it should be representing your nation, the nation your grew up supporting as a kid. It shouldn't be seen as a career move to your agent can tag on "international footballer" to your profile.

I assume you don't follow a particular nation in sporting events?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It should, but top sports people aren't motivated by money, that just comes with being at the top, they want to test themselves at the highest level and international football is the highest level in football.

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It's just how I've always known it. Countries compete against each other. You represent the country you've lived in most of your life or one of your parent's if you feel an affinity to them. There's a pride in representing them that surpasses professional pride.

I've never thought about it too much which is why I don't have a logical answer for you to be honest.

International football shouldn't be about profession or money, it should be representing your nation, the nation your grew up supporting as a kid. It shouldn't be seen as a career move to your agent can tag on "international footballer" to your profile.

I assume you don't follow a particular nation in sporting events?

But it used to be the same in club football and that changed. It still is in clubs like Athletico Bilbao. It used to be that you could only have managers from that nation or play from the nation you were born, that changed too. It’s just tradition and that’s it. It will change eventually in international football too.

I’m a plastic England fan who cheers on England in tournaments but doesn’t watch friendlies or qualifiers, but I accept that I only support them for the exact same reason I support Leicester - because it’s who my friends and family supported when I was a kid, not because I have any connection to the country of England. I haven’t lived in Leicestershire for over a decade and feel zero connection to the county of Leicestershire anymore, I still support Leicester though because my dad took me to Filbert Street growing up and it’s hard to shake the bug once you have it. If I got into a new sport now, I’d support Portsmouth or Hampshire as my local team I could go and watch rather than a Leicester or Leicestershire team. If I moved country I imagine it would be exactly the same process.

Edited by Sampson

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

But it used to be the same in club football and that changed. It still is in clubs like Athletico Bilbao. It used to be that you could only have managers from that nation or play from the nation you were born, that changed too. It’s just tradition and that’s it. It will change eventually in international football too.

I’m a plastic England fan who cheers on England in tournaments but doesn’t watch friendlies or qualifiers, but I accept that I only support them for the exact same reason I support Leicester - because it’s who my friends and family supported when I was a kid, not because I have any connection to the country of England. I haven’t lived in Leicestershire for over a decade and feel zero connection to the county of Leicestershire anymore, I still support Leicester though because my dad took me to Filbert Street growing up and it’s hard to shake the bug once you have it. If I got into a new sport now, I’d support Portsmouth or Hampshire as my local team I could go and watch rather than a Leicester or Leicestershire team. If I moved country I imagine it would be exactly the same process.

Fair play man. You've not swayed me but I totally get where you're coming from and respect it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It should, but top sports people aren't motivated by money, that just comes with being at the top, they want to test themselves at the highest level and international football is the highest level in football.

I'd disagree on it being the highest level, I think playing in the one of the top European leagues is probably the highest level these days.

43 minutes ago, FLINTHAMFC said:

International football should be scrapped. 

When anyone can represent any country they choose, or choose them, that's pretty much league football so what's the point? We've already got that product.

You can’t just represent any country you choose. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, FLINTHAMFC said:

International football should be scrapped. 

When anyone can represent any country they choose, or choose them, that's pretty much league football so what's the point? We've already got that product.

Not your finest hour here, chap..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Not your finest hour here, chap..

What makes you say that? I'm not sure how anyone can disagree with that to be honest.

If it comes to a point where you can pick and choose who you represent, then it ceases to become international football and becomes club football

Were obviously not quite there yet, but I get the point.

42 minutes ago, filbertway said:

What makes you say that? I'm not sure how anyone can disagree with that to be honest.

If it comes to a point where you can pick and choose who you represent, then it ceases to become international football and becomes club football

Were obviously not quite there yet, but I get the point.

so who exactly is picking and choosing who they pick for? 

might sign up to play for Brazil if that’s the case.