Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

3 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

Ideally we get him locked down on a new contract before the shit 6 remember he exists

Newcastle & Co were never gonna tempt him, can't let Manure, Chelsea, Spurs sniff around too strongly though

Nope. We're seeing with Chelsea a contract means nothing, greedy 6 will still offer us 40M and expect us to be grateful.

45 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

None of them really play with a 10 so I don’t see madders being a target with the current managers

Quality always sells, Especially that he's now added Goals to his performances.

We need to tie him down to a new Contract so as we can demand big money when the elite teams come in for him which they will do.

I just hope the Club make it contingent on conditions that in return bring in more revenue. So for instance, A big bonus based on final league position.

That way we shouldn't get ourselves into the same position as this Summer. 

6 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Quality always sells, Especially that he's now added Goals to his performances.

We need to tie him down to a new Contract so as we can demand big money when the elite teams come in for him which they will do.

I just hope the Club make it contingent on conditions that in return bring in more revenue. So for instance, A big bonus based on final league position.

That way we shouldn't get ourselves into the same position as this Summer. 

I was never a fan of Arsene Wenger but he talked about more players running down their contracts and suggested that it would become the norm not just to see players sold in the last year of their contracts for vastly reduced fees but also top players who know that there is a big deal on offer elsewhere running down their contracts to the last day

They will know that  if available on a free they can get a deal, a deal that will include not just  a massive signing on fee but also a significant wedge for their agent’s and even then the cost to the new club would be significantly less than paying a massive fee and a very decent fee 

The balance for clubs like Leicester is that wages have to be kept to a level but without pushing the boat out for the top players just won’t sign without guarantees such as a buyout clause because they will see just how shackled they are if they sign long deals.

Maddison if he were at say Liverpool/Chelsea/ Utd/City  would be on £200k a week maybe even more. Can Leicester pay him that ? Should Leicester pay him that ? 

Edited by Terraloon
  • Like 1

My concern is that if we throw a big contract at Maddison, if he slips back into his half-arsed mindset that we're then stuck with a talented player on big money that only shows up for a few months a season.

I hope we can give him a contract that's heavily incentivised by him performing well. If he plays well he earns bucket loads, if he goes into half arse mode, then we're covered.

Hopefully we've learned lessons from the past few years.

Edited by filbertway

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

My concern is that if we throw a big contract at Maddison, if he slips back into his half-arsed mindset that we're then stuck with a talented player on big money that only shows up for a few months a season.

I hope we can give him a contract that's heavily incentivised by him performing well. If he plays well he earns bucket loads, if he goes into half arse mode, then we're covered.

Not seen that one on football manager.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Terraloon said:

I was never a fan of Arsene Wenger but he talked about more players running down their contracts and suggested that it would become the norm not just to see players sold in the last year of their contracts for vastly reduced fees but also top players who know that there is a big deal on offer elsewhere running down their contracts to the last day

They will know that  if available on a free they can get a deal, a deal that will include not just  a massive signing on fee but also a significant wedge for their agent’s and even then the cost to the new club would be significantly less than paying a massive fee and a very decent fee 

The balance for clubs like Leicester is that wages have to be kept to a level but without pushing the boat out for the top players just won’t sign without guarantees such as a buyout clause because they will see just how shackled they are if they sign long deals.

Maddison if he were at say Liverpool/Chelsea/ Utd/City  would be on £200k a week maybe even more. Can Leicester pay him that ? Should Leicester pay him that ? 

Yes I remember Wenger talking abut that contract siutation developing.  I blame the Clubs and the FA. They've let agents into the game and now they walk all over them. Football is a unique industry and so should have a unique set of rules.

Clubs need to get smarter and introduce walk away clauses into Contracts where by if the the player runs down his contract he pays the club back for the privalage. 

Holding players to contract is a difficult one, because you don't want an unhappy player around the place.

Maddison in current form is easily worth close to 100 million. A crowd pleaser who now scores lots of Goals. Can we afford not to improve his contract no we cant.  But we need to get more creative in how we do it.  Instead of increasing the wage bill without any return to the Club.

12 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Yes I remember Wenger talking abut that contract siutation developing.  I blame the Clubs and the FA. They've let agents into the game and now they walk all over them. Football is a unique industry and so should have a unique set of rules.

Clubs need to get smarter and introduce walk away clauses into Contracts where by if the the player runs down his contract he pays the club back for the privalage. 

Holding players to contract is a difficult one, because you don't want an unhappy player around the place.

Maddison in current form is easily worth close to 100 million. A crowd pleaser who now scores lots of Goals. Can we afford not to improve his contract no we cant.  But we need to get more creative in how we do it.  Instead of increasing the wage bill without any return to the Club.

Good trick if you can pull it off!

8 minutes ago, PaulW said:

The trouble is you can’t.

The whole player contract thing isn’t within individual FAs remit it remains and will continue to be controlled by FIFA.

Bosman, Webster and going back to yesteryear George Eastham fought to get to where players are in terms of freedom of movement and there ain’t no reversing that.

Webster is the clause within the rules around players contracts that has rarely been exploited by players but once one or two of the real big boys start the ball rolling there will a shockwave sent through Football , a shockwave that will make Bosman look like a sneeze by comparison.

Anyways back to Madison. Of course every Leicester supporter wants him to sign a new deal but if I were him or come to that his agent there os now way I would be telling him to sign for anything like £150k I would want the sort of levels  that the top clubs pay and that is closer or past £200k a week and I just can’t see how Leicester will or could  get close to that. The trouble is that once this window closes your into two January windows ( a notoriously difficult time to buy or sale a player ) and one summer window where he will be well into the last 12 months of his contract.

15 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This is where we have a dilemma. How do we long term compete and adhere to these hideously restrictive UEFA FFP rules. I've got my thoughts on it, you simply have to have an exceptional academy producing a plethora of young talented players and a set up that is tasked with playing them and they compliment a core 18-20 first team players where every season 1-2 successful high value players on big wages are sold and the funds used to reinvest at a lower salary and start the process of establishing themselves at the club. All contracts for new players are progressive based on success. 

I think many clubs strive for a similar model but getting even a couple of PL players through the academy each year will be incredibly difficult and even more a problem is that the you will now see more and more promising academy players in England be poached from the likes of Leicester and the compensation paid will be insignificant or relatively so.

32 minutes ago, Terraloon said:

I think many clubs strive for a similar model but getting even a couple of PL players through the academy each year will be incredibly difficult and even more a problem is that the you will now see more and more promising academy players in England be poached from the likes of Leicester and the compensation paid will be insignificant or relatively so.

It will be difficult but it's got to be our priority, with the best facilities in the world and with the changes in transfer rules, its essential to produce and recruit young domestic talent to bring through. We've done quite well but we can absolutely be better.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It will be difficult but it's got to be our priority, with the best facilities in the world and with the changes in transfer rules, its essential to produce and recruit young domestic talent to bring through. We've done quite well but we can absolutely be better.

Imagine where we would be if we hadn't produced the likes of Chilwell, Barnes and KDH and Thomas. 

We have done pretty well, but we need to maximise every ounce of potential out of the academy, not just to develop PL-level players but also players who we can sell to the Championship, League 1 etc for profit.

We need to be putting money into getting the best coaches and improving our younger recruitment.

I'm excited by our current crop but we need to be getting them out on loan or around the first team squad asap. 

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Eh? What half arsed mindset?! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PaulW said:

It only takes a bit of imagineation. For instance each league finishing position is reported to be worth 30 mil. pay an increasing bonus based on league our position at the end of the season. That way if they players perform and we finish high they get a better bonus and the Club also gets more money.

Isn't that better than paying out money we can ill afford as the wage bill is too high already.

Edited by Clever Fox

15 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

It only takes a bit of imagineation. For instance each league finishing position is reported to be worth 30 mil. pay an increasing bonus based on league our position at the end of the season. That way if they players perform and we finish high they get a better bonus and the Club also gets more money.

Isn't that better than paying out money we can ill afford as the wage bill is too high already.

If every player on the team didn’t have a deal like that, I could see locker room issues pop up quickly.

If one players pay is dependent on league position, what happens when that player feels someone else is not playing up to standard?  

It’s hard to hear and even harder to accept, but we will not be able to hold onto exceptional players for very long.  We will find the occasional one who doesn’t care about bigger clubs, or money (Vardy, Kasper) - but most will see us as a stepping stone.  

Edited by marbles