Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

13 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

He shouldn’t just be going to the World Cup he should be starting for England too. What a player, another top performance 

This is why the whole debate is a bit pointless. Even if he's on the plane there is no way Southgate gives him minutes let alone starts him. 

His place in the squad being so in doubt is all the proof you need.

11 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

This is why the whole debate is a bit pointless. Even if he's on the plane there is no way Southgate gives him minutes let alone starts him. 

His place in the squad being so in doubt is all the proof you need.

you say that but grealish was in the same boat before the world cup and ended up getting a good amount of action 

Absolute quality again. The crazy thing is that was by his standards only a 7/10. He could / should have scored a few himself!

I genuinely think he's at the same level as Mahrez. Maybe not peak Mahrez who deservedly won POTS, but Riyad was very good not just that season but in others too. And I would say he's better than Riyad's last season where he was also pretty good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iran said:

8 on that list are going to the World Cup (maybe not Bowen but maybe he will) and the one at the top isn’t. It is ****ing funny you know lol he’s such a willy puller Southgate. It’s not even like it’s an agenda he can play off as something else. He’s just a stubborn arsehole. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corky said:

I'll be honest, wasn't convinced by him for a long time. Felt he was a luxury player who tried to showboat and do it for the cameras too much.

Delighted to be proven wrong. Still a luxury player because he produces quality virtually every week, and has done for a year.

Yep, same with me - I would have sold him had somebody come in with more than about £40m in summer 2021 but without him we’d have struggled to stay up last season let alone finished top half. No arguing with his last 12 months and having 6 goals this season in a struggling side is excellent. Sensational numbers that are up there with anybody in the PL and certainly any other English players.

Southgate needs to swallow his pride and get him in the squad. You can imagine he’d be very useful in the group stage in particular.

At this stage the stats are so skewed in Maddison's favour (even Merson says he has to go) that I can only assume there's a personal issue between Southgate and Madders or Southgate knows something that everyone else doesn't - a personal issue or a BTS problem that would affect the camp.

No-one with any credibility in the game can say he's not the best creative player in that position in the PL right now. For me it's Saka Foden and Maddison playing behind Kane. Grealish, Mount and Bowen are so woefully out of form that they should be the ones looking in. I personally couldn't give a toss about this world cup but for the player's sake, he deserves a stage to perform at this phase of his career.

1 hour ago, Iran said:

This would be even more stark if you made it the last 12 months, he did very little until November last season. Must have done 28 (?) goals and assists in the last year which is superb.

2 hours ago, Corky said:

I'll be honest, wasn't convinced by him for a long time. Felt he was a luxury player who tried to showboat and do it for the cameras too much.

Delighted to be proven wrong. Still a luxury player because he produces quality virtually every week, and has done for a year.

I’m in exactly the same boat. I think a combination of maturing on and off the pitch and getting rid of niggles has made the world of difference.

He could have easily sulked but he hasn’t and he’s put the work in and is now reaping the rewards. Southgate needs to drop the prejudice, its not 2019 anymore. Times change. 

Happy to be proven wrong on this. The lad is top drawer.

• Like 1