Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

I think Madders already knows he is on that plane IF he’s playing for one of the big 6, no question. This is what I meant a few months ago when I said England managers play into the big 6 eco system. They refuse to pick certain players and those players then have to move to get the gig. It’s sickening. 

Anyone you speak to from any club pretty much ALL say Madders should be picked for the World Cup. Doubt he will. Probably sees him leave in January and then picked immediately in the next England squad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

I think Madders already knows he is on that plane IF he’s playing for one of the big 6, no question. This is what I meant a few months ago when I said England managers play into the big 6 eco system. They refuse to pick certain players and those players then have to move to get the gig. It’s sickening. 

Anyone you speak to from any club pretty much ALL say Madders should be picked for the World Cup. Doubt he will. Probably sees him leave in January and then picked immediately in the next England squad. 

I certainly think it’s much easier to get picked if you play for one of the greedy six. There have been exceptions even from our club but it certainly does help feed that status quo. Totally inequitable and ultimately harmful for the game. 

Edited by Supergray22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

So true

So corrupt

So sickening

It's what has turned me off football.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

in the past few weeks, Southgate came to see our games twice. The last time was palace at home where he hardly shone and ended the game with that ignominious dive ….

Yeah he really fluffed his lines that night. I think Southgate was there to see him. But despite having a few pot shots. That was one of his weakest performances this season. Bad timing!

1 minute ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Yeah he really fluffed his lines that night. I think Southgate was there to see him. But despite having a few pot shots. That was one of his weakest performances this season. Bad timing!

As manager of the England team, if he isn’t watching full re-runs of all PL games, I’d be very very surprised. 

But he won’t be will he unless his golden boys are featuring :ph34r:

Maddison surely has to go now. Putting aside the rose tinted glasses. His sustained performance over the past 12 months or so are backed up by hard statistics and any doubts about his temperament have surely been quashed after recent performances in tough matches. His control of the game and ability to progress the ball forward and create chances has made even our fans raise an eyebrow. He ticks all the boxes and must be included. If Southgate picks players who are returning from long term injuries with questionable form and fitness over Maddison and England don’t deliver then he will be gone. Even Southgate is not that blinkered. 

• Like 1

I do have a little sympathy with international managers when they have to plan with a certain group of players and it might be difficult to add new players into the mix so soon to a tournament. However, Southgate should've included Maddison ages ago. 

You might change it up slightly against the big boys but England in the group should be:

Pope (but will be Pickford)

Trippier

I really don't know who to pick centre back, much of muchness. Probably Stones and Maguire

Shaw

Rice

Bellingham

Saka

Maddison

Foden 

Kane

25 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I do have a little sympathy with international managers when they have to plan with a certain group of players and it might be difficult to add new players into the mix so soon to a tournament. However, Southgate should've included Maddison ages ago. 

You might change it up slightly against the big boys but England in the group should be:

Pope (but will be Pickford)

Trippier

I really don't know who to pick centre back, much of muchness. Probably Stones and Maguire

Shaw

Rice

Bellingham

Saka

Maddison

Foden 

Kane

You lost me at Maguire :ph34r:

• Haha 1

There is plenty of room for Maddison in the squad, whether he gets game time or not. There is a lot of talk about those attacking midfielders who will go and how he doesn't displace them, but from watching those players I think Maddison offers something none of the other attacking mids do and he should go for that reason alone. He doesn't have the pace that most of those attacking mids in the squad have, but he is more comfortable on the ball and can turn a player and find himself between lines and pick a pass. He's probably not in England's plan A, rightly or wrongly, but he should absolutely be a part of the plan B.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

We can't really afford to sell anyone in January while our league position is so perilous. 

Even YT, I mean look his goals are literally keeping us in the league at the moment. What's the cost of relegation? 

Same with Madders, he's worth far more to us seeing out this season than he is to Newcastle. And frankly, he's playing himself in to such good form that bigger clubs than the Toon will be eyeing up a punt tbh. I said in the summer I can't see Madders ever winding up there and I can see it less now regardless of Newcastle's purple patch. 

I suppose it depends on how deep Newcastle want to dig in to their pockets for him, they would need to put in a monster offer to tempt him. No chance he goes in January, those kind of signings never happen midseason anyway.  Agree on Youri - we would get about £10m max which doesn't seem worth it versus risk of relegation. It's in his best interest to stay at City - playing the way he has been he will get his choice of clubs and can get a huge signing on fee too. Hope he doesn't stay in England and goes to Italy or Spain.

2 hours ago, mancunianfox said:

Agree on Youri - we would get about £10m max which doesn't seem worth it versus risk of relegation. It's in his best interest to stay at City - playing the way he has been he will get his choice of clubs and can get a huge signing on fee too. Hope he doesn't stay in England and goes to Italy or Spain.

I do wonder if Arsenal would be tempted to get ahead of the other clubs in January on Youri though. They will see it as the kind of transfer that would sure up their top 4 hopes and maybe give them a shot at the title? If they could get him for £20m then I think it would be decent business for them in navigating the remainder of the season. They look a different proposition to what many thought in the summer, and so may be more tempting to Youri as an option too.

Does anyone remember the World Cup some years ago where England were out shone by Italy. Pirlo was the master mind of that team and how he orchestrated that team with his vision for pin point passes, free kicks and all round creative play. Critics were foaming at the mouth that England needs a creative midfielder of that caliber. How do we create one?

Well by golly wow we flippin have one now.

the only way it can be more obvious for southgate is if pirlo called him and said “listen you idiot - take madders and put him at the center of your team!”

the noise is getting deafening now in the media, on radio shows even rival fans are crying out for him to go to the World Cup.

if waistcoat doesn’t take him he will pay for it when we come against a tough opponent and realize if only we had a creative wizard to unlock that defense. I’m not gonna watch England if madders isn’t in that squad and playing period. Every successful tournament team needs a game changing wildcard and madders will be ours.

• Like 2

I don’t understand the whole Southgate watching in the stands thing. Yes, Maddison hasn’t shone when Southgate has watched him recently but he can’t ignore his stats and I don’t believe Southgate or his team aren’t able to watch him on TV.

A few positives if Southgate doesn’t pick him would be he’s well rested for us and also the backlash Southgate will get. This feels similar to Grealish being on the bench at the last Euro’s when at the time he was arguably one of our most exciting players. Leicester aside, I think Maddison is a top lad and conducts himself really well, for that reason I’d love him to get a go at a World Cup when he’s arguably in his prime.

Just now, Trumpet said:

I don’t understand the whole Southgate watching in the stands thing. Yes, Maddison hasn’t shone when Southgate has watched him recently but he can’t ignore his stats and I don’t believe Southgate or his team aren’t able to watch him on TV.

A few positives if Southgate doesn’t pick him would be he’s well rested for us and also the backlash Southgate will get. This feels similar to Grealish being on the bench at the last Euro’s when at the time he was arguably one of our most exciting players. Leicester aside, I think Maddison is a top lad and conducts himself really well, for that reason I’d love him to get a go at a World Cup when he’s arguably in his prime.

Southgate is a defensive minded coach - whilst we watch what players are doing with the ball, he will want to see what he’s doing when he doesn’t have it and the play isn’t anywhere near him 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Southgate is a defensive minded coach - whilst we watch what players are doing with the ball, he will want to see what he’s doing when he doesn’t have it and the play isn’t anywhere near him 

Completely agree. The problem is and was evident in our Euros final, going ultra defensive on a goal lead doesn’t always work. I get it’s his philosophy but you need players like Maddison that are going to create those few chances to win the game.

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Can't understand anyone wanting him to go anyway. I'd infinitely rather he have his mini pre-season and come back firing for us. **** Southgate and lets be honest he'd be picked because of pressure anyway and never get on the pitch.

Leicester, Boohoo, England. In that order.

I think people are worried that not being picked is another tick in the box to start thinking about moving to a bigger club.

• Like 1