Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

4 minutes ago, Lets Be having You said:

Just heard on the radio Southgate won't take Madders because he doesn't like him.

I remember when Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham wouldn't talk to each other but still went on to win numerous trophies with Man Utd. That's the professional way to deal with it.

• Like 3

Just now, Lets Be having You said:

It goes back to the days of the under 21s, so much for being kind which Southgate pumps out regularly.

Southgate definitely favours his U21 boys. Said as much about Mount, couldn't wait to get him in the squad, it was decided before he'd even played a PL game that he'd be in the England squad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

Surprised if there is no Toney or Abraham, thought one would go. Toney is in better form this season. Probably means Wilson and I guess Rashford is classed as a striker. 

As soon as the betting thing was leaked it was clear Toney wasn't going. Hope Wilson goes, he deserves it.

6 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Surprised if there is no Toney or Abraham, thought one would go. Toney is in better form this season. Probably means Wilson and I guess Rashford is classed as a striker. 

Getting called up for two games and not getting on the pitch was very telling.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Abraham deserves a spot for his goals. 

Not been watching Serie A this season mun? 

His bubble has burst just like Lingard's did. Both mid table journeymen that had a purple patch. 

Abraham is in honking form, miles behind Wilson and Toney on your list of backups right now. 

Whether he plays or not, the experience of him going with the national side to a world cup is something that would be cruel and heartless to deny.

I can't help but feel he's been motivated by the chance of a call-up. And while he gets a rest by staying at home, I do worry his head will drop when we return. He could not have done any more and deserves his place on merit. What sort of demoralising message does that send out that whatever he does from now on, it's a closed shop already.

Edited by TK95

I'd have Toney as backup. Realistically, Kane is playing every minute unless he's injured (even then I have my doubts) and though he's not exactly a carbon copy I'd say Toney is probably the closest we've got to a like-for-like replacement. He also doesn't strike me as someone who would be at all phased by the pressure of the big stage and is probably the best penalty taker we have. 

34 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

You do realize that even if he feels forced to take Madders he'll never see the pitch, which will just piss everyone here off even more than if he was never picked in the first place.

Exactly, if Maddison goes it's only because of the media pressure that Southgate feels under. He'll probably throw him on with 2 mins to go in a game we're losing, and when we do lose blame Maddison. See I took your guy and he couldn't do anything.