Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

42 minutes ago, majaco said:

Maddison has done well.

I think Southgate has picked just about every player from the entitled 6 he could.   Players such as Maddison and Coady have to defy the odds to get in.

V Everton he looked clueless. Gave the ball away umpteen times. Tarkowski held the entire Everton back line together and reads the game like a book, always there at the right angle to block a shot. It took 2 marvellous goals to get round Tarkowski (and tbf an excellent Pickford) .....yet Coady gets selected

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

V Everton he looked clueless. Gave the ball away umpteen times. Tarkowski held the entire Everton back line together and reads the game like a book, always there at the right angle to block a shot. It took 2 marvellous goals to get round Tarkowski (and tbf an excellent Pickford) .....yet Coady gets selected

Maybe Southgate now realises our defence is a shambles and we are going to use are attacking players to outscore the opposition. I look at some of the CB options like Dier, Maguire and Coady and I think hmmm what must Tomori and Tarkovski probably even Ben Mee be thinking.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Ffs. I despair. We've never, ever been little. We are one of the top 25 clubs in the country, consistently, for nigh on 80 years. More recently we have developed into perhaps the 8th - 15th biggest club in every.metric,; supporters, turnover, trophies, social media, profile 

How on earth can you use the adjective 'little'? 

Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea I can concede to. But what has anyone else done to be deserving of being the next club mentioned after those clubs more than us? The only clubs that have won all of the major domestic honours possible in the past 30 years are us and them. It's ignorant to say we aren't deserving of 6th place, nobody else has done anything besides win a single league cup/FA cup in 30+ years. The media will tell you it's Tottenham next, but they don't succeed consistently enough. They finish in the top 6-7 every year and they achieve nothing consistently. What Tottenham fan is going to look back in 40 years and think about the glory days of finishing in the European places and then failing to succeed every season? We have succeeded where they have failed and that makes them a bigger deal than us? The idea that Spurs are part of a big 6 is just weird, because LCFC is 6th on merit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Coady is apparently great to have around the camp so I can only assume he's in the squad essentially as a glorified cheerleader like with the Euros. There's certainly no way he's there on ability because you could probably put together a 26-man squad consisting entirely of English centre backs he's worse than.

• Like 1

From a totally selfish point of view, if he has a great world cup then I don't think we'll be able to keep hold of him, but there hasn't ever been anyone more deserving to go to a world cup then him and I hope he goes there and grasps the opportunity. There isn't a better creative player in the world on current form imo. 

• Like 1

Of course like everyone else on here the first name I looked out for was Madders. Having looked through the rest of the squad though I have to eat humble pie and say that overall there are not many inclusions that you could say are not reasonable. Like others have said I really hope Southgate now affords Maddison the game time his ability and fine form deserves despite the fact that from a personal perspective that this will really put him in the shop window. I really think the team will benefit from the creativity and ability to move the ball forward and open up defences that he brings. I really feel he will add to the team and England's ability to progress deep into the tournament. 

6 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Ffs. I despair. We've never, ever been little. We are one of the top 25 clubs in the country, consistently, for nigh on 80 years. More recently we have developed into perhaps the 8th - 15th biggest club in every.metric,; supporters, turnover, trophies, social media, profile 

How on earth can you use the adjective 'little'? 

The answer lies in  counting the number players we have bought in the last 3 transfer windows. 

• Haha 1

Pleased for him but the media has definitely influenced Southgates thinking ..  he’s just covering his arse and probably won’t give him much game time anyway.  Just need Madders to play crap when he does come on and Newcastle might just leave us alone ..  :thumbup:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Great news for Madders and everyone associated with LCFC. Made up for him that is getting the recognition for such a rich vein of form, regardless of wherever his selection is down to Southgate covering his arse or media pressure, the truth is Madders has been n the form of his life and the way he has knuckles down and forced his way into the reckoning is excellent. 

just on a side note, I think Brendan deserves a huge amount of credit for the way Maddison has kicked on and improved in every area of his game. 18 months or so ago Brendan rightly was challenging him to raise his game, improve his professionalism and most importantly start delivering better goal involvement numbers ……18 months later and he is number 1 and this upturn has forced Southgate’s hand.  Whilst it’s Maddison doing the business on the pitch, Rodgers and his team have been instrumental in supporting not only the development of the player but also the development of Maddison as a man. 

Good points

its also amazing what the arrival of a young child can do for someone’s maturity (and that keeping them away from the ‘bright lights’ helps their fitness and concentration) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TK95 said:

If we were in a better position in the table, I'd have rested him at the weekend

Would you rest Ward, Amartey, Faes, Castagne, Tielemens and Mendy too? I understand the temptation, but it might just seem a bit dodgy to wrap our English WC player in cotton wool while leaving the three Belgians and the Welsh, Ghanaian and Senegalese players to fend for themselves..lol

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Would you rest Ward, Amartey, Faes, Castagne, Tielemens and Mendy too? I understand the temptation, but it might just seem a bit dodgy to wrap our English WC player in cotton wool while leaving the three Belgians and the Welsh, Ghanain and Senegalese players to fend for themselves..lol

Some on here are so blinded by England they forget we are a multi national team (and brand) . We have three players in the Belgian squad and they are , apparently anyway , better than England.

Think he's got a good chance of getting some minutes during the group stage too given the fixtures we've got. Delighted for him, he absolutely deserves this for his excellent work over the last 18 months...now if he could sign a new contract that would be great haha.

4 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Great news for Madders and everyone associated with LCFC. Made up for him that is getting the recognition for such a rich vein of form, regardless of wherever his selection is down to Southgate covering his arse or media pressure, the truth is Madders has been n the form of his life and the way he has knuckles down and forced his way into the reckoning is excellent. 

just on a side note, I think Brendan deserves a huge amount of credit for the way Maddison has kicked on and improved in every area of his game. 18 months or so ago Brendan rightly was challenging him to raise his game, improve his professionalism and most importantly start delivering better goal involvement numbers ……18 months later and he is number 1 and this upturn has forced Southgate’s hand.  Whilst it’s Maddison doing the business on the pitch, Rodgers and his team have been instrumental in supporting not only the development of the player but also the development of Maddison as a man. 

Spot on. Not the first time Rodgers has done this, he took players like Coutinho and Suarez to another level at Liverpool too.

Tielemans is also a lot more consistent than previously in his career, though still not as consistent as he should be. Probably why he's still a Leicester player instead of a Real Madrid / Barcelona / Man City.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Spot on. Not the first time Rodgers has done this, he took players like Coutinho and Suarez to another level at Liverpool too.

Tielemans is also a lot more consistent than previously in his career, though still not as consistent as he should be. Probably why he's still a Leicester player instead of a Real Madrid / Barcelona / Man City.

Youri, despite his commitment could well be finding it difficult to focus 100% on LCFC he must be under some pressure to decide on his next move or if decided thinking about how that will pan out.

I genuinely credit the face he became a dad more to do with him growing up and taking his profession more seriously. Rather than Rodgers magically doing something after 2 years of working with the lad.

I'm sure Rodgers will claim the baby said to him "mister wodgers, can you pwease make daddy one the best in the weague"

• Haha 1