Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

11 hours ago, shailen said:

From a totally selfish point of view, if he has a great world cup then I don't think we'll be able to keep hold of him, but there hasn't ever been anyone more deserving to go to a world cup then him and I hope he goes there and grasps the opportunity. There isn't a better creative player in the world on current form imo. 

How many years are left on his contract? Would be good to get him to resign with a option to sell at the right price as I imagine his stock will go up now and even more if he has a good world cup 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dandy king said:

Just listened to Brendan's press conference where he said that madders, off the pitch,  would show Gareth Southgate his 'whole package' . 

He really has had to do everything to get to this world cup 

So glad I had finished my coffee before reading this comment lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Ffs. I despair. We've never, ever been little. We are one of the top 25 clubs in the country, consistently, for nigh on 80 years. More recently we have developed into perhaps the 8th - 15th biggest club in every.metric,; supporters, turnover, trophies, social media, profile 

How on earth can you use the adjective 'little'? 

Perception isn't it.

Today's pundits and fans of a certain vintage - say 35 years old plus - either saw, played for, or remember being told the stories of Forest, Villa, Everton, etc. being huge clubs winning trophies, including European ones. Having Hillsborough and Villa Park used as neutral grounds in cup semi-finals and suchlike.

We were the nearly men in the FA Cup for so long. We even finished second in the top tier once before too and finished towards the higher end of the table on several occasions.

Imagine when we were good in decades past if we'd have won a league title or two and maybe two of those FA Cups. The perception of the club would be so different now.

But, the spin on this is that we're living through the period that establishes us as a 'big club' now.

I agree with you, we already are one but for a lot of people it's more about a 'feeling' than looking at our record in decades past. We're a part of the national consciousness. If we keep plugging away and winning a major trophy every now and again, the kids growing up today will talk about us being a massive club in 10, 20 or 30 years.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think it's a combination. Brendan has bonded very well with Maddison though, which was never guaranteed and it seems he knew to focus very closely on certain things with Maddison which has undoubtedly helped him progress.

The one non-technical element of the game that I think he led to him being now such a talisman and consistent big game player is his strength and movement, he's no longer a weak and luxury type player. His pressing and speed has increased notably and at a time where he'd had some annoying mid term injuries that many of us were worried he'd never get the robustness to be the type of player we needed him to be.

The last 14 months has been a big transformation in that regard and I hope he can maintain it, he has the strength of character to do so and that's all on him, nobody else can take credit for that in football - only Maddison himself.

That's fair, I'm doing Rodgers a disservice as I've no doubt he will have benefiited Madders understanding of space and movement on the pitch and how he can get himself into dangerous positions as well as the work he has to do off the ball.

I do think it's too much of a coincidence that the consistency and clear change of attitude came at exactly the same time he had a kid. He was never a bad lad, but definitely allowed himself to have long periods of below average performances. The change in attitude/motivation has been massive though and ultimately I think that's what will be the difference in him being a talented player who could have achieved more and the top quality player who goes on to realise his full potential in the second half of his career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an issue with this big club mentality or status that apparently equates to success. If we are measuring success by finishing consistently in the top 6 than whoopy doo!

im sure in the media world being A permanent member of the ‘big 6’ means you get top billing for pre match and post match commentary, publicity etc. we see this blatant bias every week. Even when teams break into that top 6 it doesn’t change the attitude or opinions of those that feel clubs like Leicester don’t belong there. imo success should be measured by achievement not wealth, number of fans or size of stadium. Spurs is a prime example of credit where no credit is due. They will always be talked up more in comparison to Leicester. Seems like we are forever punching above our weight which is rediculous. Even that term irks me like it’s s negative thing. Once again ‘weight’ equates to what? size of stadium, money, fans, branding & marketing, popularity?

why can’t we just focus on ABILITY & ACHIEVEMENT?

3 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Would you rest Ward, Amartey, Faes, Castagne, Tielemens and Mendy too? I understand the temptation, but it might just seem a bit dodgy to wrap our English WC player in cotton wool while leaving the three Belgians and the Welsh, Ghanaian and Senegalese players to fend for themselves..lol

Fair point haha

2 hours ago, Dandy king said:

Just listened to Brendan's press conference where he said that madders, off the pitch,  would show Gareth Southgate his 'whole package' . 

He really has had to do everything to get to this world cup 

Needs to be careful in Qatar, could end up behind bars for that kind of thing. 

• Haha 1

Delighted for him, absolutely deserves his place in the squad. Actually think this will make him (and others) more likely to stay. He's shown you can be involved in the biggest tournaments being at a club like Leicester, and I think from his side that he'll feel an increased connection with the club now they've helped him realise one of his dreams. I wouldn't underestimate the impact of that enthusiasm rubbing off on others too. The likes of Tielemans might now feel he's in good company and question whether he really needs to take a gamble and move elsewhere. I really hope he has a great tournament and shows Southgate how good a player he really is. 

3 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Delighted for him, absolutely deserves his place in the squad. Actually think this will make him (and others) more likely to stay. He's shown you can be involved in the biggest tournaments being at a club like Leicester, and I think from his side that he'll feel an increased connection with the club now they've helped him realise one of his dreams. I wouldn't underestimate the impact of that enthusiasm rubbing off on others too. The likes of Tielemans might now feel he's in good company and question whether he really needs to take a gamble and move elsewhere. I really hope he has a great tournament and shows Southgate how good a player he really is. 

Great post - I totally agree

5 minutes ago, jonathan_ross said:

It’s great news him making the squad but he’s obviously been picked because there’s a big money move lined up for him in January.

So Southgate wasn’t going to select him but then he got tipped off that Maddison is going to move to a big club in January and changed his mind? Because I’m not sure that makes much sense…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomtom said:

Hi guys, anyone know when the squad numbers are announced?? My son wants a shirt with Maddison and his number on for the tournament 

Me too! My kiddo is is big madders fan and we’re holding off on the jersey until the number is announced my guess within a few days. 
Last time madders wore #20 for england

sterling is currently #10 for england

• Like 1

Don’t think anyone seems to understand that he won’t get a game. If he does it’ll be that third group game and he’ll get 20 mins. Picked to not cause outrage, but he won’t play.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think it's a combination. Brendan has bonded very well with Maddison though, which was never guaranteed and it seems he knew to focus very closely on certain things with Maddison which has undoubtedly helped him progress.

The one non-technical element of the game that I think he led to him being now such a talisman and consistent big game player is his strength and movement, he's no longer a weak and luxury type player. His pressing and speed has increased notably and at a time where he'd had some annoying mid term injuries that many of us were worried he'd never get the robustness to be the type of player we needed him to be.

The last 14 months has been a big transformation in that regard and I hope he can maintain it, he has the strength of character to do so and that's all on him, nobody else can take credit for that in football - only Maddison himself.

I think he is now to us what Grealish was to Villa in the end. Now, just like Grealish after last year's Euros, I think it's more a case of being able to hold onto him here now, especially like others have said if he has a good world cup in Qatar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

So Southgate wasn’t going to select him but then he got tipped off that Maddison is going to move to a big club in January and changed his mind? Because I’m not sure that makes much sense…

Maybe so but sometimes I wonder if agents, the fa, the media and the big clubs all work together. Situations like the last World Cup with maguire and selling on fees can benefit a lot of the right people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzFOX said:

Me too! My kiddo is is big madders fan and we’re holding off on the jersey until the number is announced my guess within a few days. 
Last time madders wore #20 for england

sterling is currently #10 for england

Apparently the squad officially goes in on Monday,  so hopefully its then

1 hour ago, Mee-9 said:

Don’t think anyone seems to understand that he won’t get a game. If he does it’ll be that third group game and he’ll get 20 mins. Picked to not cause outrage, but he won’t play.

I bet you're fun at parties

Maybe you don't understand that people are just excited that he's in the squad and happy for him??

14 hours ago, LCFC_Iceland said:

No chance he plays Saturday, can’t risk taking a knock before realizing his dream.

If he doesn't play Saturday it give GS the "out" he needs to not play Madders, can claim he didn't start for his club blah blah blah. Now I'm not saying this is a valid point but I think he will be looking for any excuse not to play him. 

Hope I'm wrong and for the first time in a long time I will be cheering England on (when JM is on the field anyway).