Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

13 hours ago, mozartfox said:

From that very reputable source Leicester News Now, it seems Trippier is tapping up Madders.  Only to be expected I suppose.

Jimmy's agent knows that Newcastle will pay him 200 grand a week , form and injury allowing , he is 26 next birthday.  What would you do?

Edited by An Sionnach

12 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Jimmy's agent knows that Newcastle will pay him 200 grand a week , form and injury allowing , he is 26 next birthday.  What would you do?

Well if I was 28 or 29 I'd go for it . But at 26 I'd be hoping for an established Champions League team . 

38 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Well if I was 28 or 29 I'd go for it . But at 26 I'd be hoping for an established Champions League team . 

He'll be a focal point for a team that will be on a big upward trajectory and likely to be in and around the top 4 for the forseeable. Easy decision in my eyes. At the larger clubs he would risk becoming another spare part that can be plugged and played as needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

They can't. That's Newcastles problem and partly the reasoning Youri/Maddison haven't left. 

The new FFP rules stop Newcastle from being able to carry that wage bill. Unless they make the CL this season. 

Youri and Maddison are on an absolute packet here - to the point that big six clubs could probably only equal their wage. Biggest obstacle as to why Youri hasn't left and that's come from someone well connected. 

• Like 2

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2022-maddison-dad-tears-england-b1040451.html

James Maddison reveals dad’s tears of joy at World Cup 2022 call-up as England ace’s soul-searching pays off
VIEW COMMENTS
By Dan Kilpatrick@Dan_KP

James Maddison says he never gave up hope he would play for England again but has admitted he questioned himself during his spell out in the cold.

Maddison was last week rewarded for his superb Leicester form with a surprise call-up to Gareth Southgate's World Cup squad, having not been included since winning his only cap in 2019.

The 25-year-old faces fierce competition for places with the likes of Jack Grealish, Phil Foden and Mason Mount in Qatar but only Harry Kane can better Maddison's 24 goal involvements in the top flight in 2022.

The Foxes playmaker says there is no bitterness towards Southgate for ignoring him for so long and insists he always believed he would earn another chance.

“I never felt like it had gone,” Maddison said at England's World Cup training base in Al Wakrah, south of Doha. “There were obviously times where you might feel like you were playing well and weren't selected, which was the case a couple of times.

“But it’s about having the right mindset and staying hungry to achieve and not thinking it’s a closed door.

“I don’t think at any point I thought the opportunity had gone. It was just about almost using the rejection of not getting called up in previous camps as motivation to try and get back in and force my way back in.

“There's no bitterness, I know Gareth’s the England manager and he’s got a lot of talent at his disposal. But just keeping that mindset of staying hungry, scoring, assisting, affecting games and showing I can be an asset for him at this level.

“There was definitely times where you question certain things and [think], 'What am I doing that's not getting me in the England squad?’," Maddison added.

“I think you have to because otherwise it might almost be a little bit arrogant of not improving.

“The pinnacle is playing for England, right? And when you feel like you're playing well, and you might be deserving of a call and you don't get it, you’ve kind of got to tell yourself ‘how can I do better to get in?’ instead of having the arrogance of ‘I should be in’.

“I think I did that and I worked very hard behind the scenes at Leicester on how I can score more, how can I assist more to almost try and force the manager’s hand so he can't leave me out.”

Maddison has been on dazzling form the Foxes, scoring seven times in the first half of the campaign, but he said he admitted he was “preparing for the worst” ahead of last week's big announcement.

“I was kind of braced for both [good and bad news],” he said. “Like hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I hadn’t been in a squad for three years and I’m not naïve.

I had a missed call off Gareth Southgate, so the heart starts beating.

“But I also had that hope, that I was playing, I was in good form, I was in goalscoring form. I’ve been a threat for a little while now on the pitch and was hoping for the good call instead of the bad call. Thankfully I was on the receiving end of a good phone call from Gareth and one that I’ll never forget.

“I was in Brendan [Rodgers'] office having a chat with him about stuff, about the day, and he asked me if I had heard anything, and I hadn’t at that point. We were talking through it.

“He was just being a good man-manager and putting his arm around me if I didn’t get the call and how it would look and how to stay motivated for Saturday’s game and enjoy the break. Went back down to the changing room afterwards and had a missed call off Gareth Southgate, so the heart starts beating.

“I had his number saved still. I went up and called him back, he gave me the good news and it was all a bit of a blur. After the call finished and he told me I was in, it was a big of a head on the wall moment, big deep breath and called my parents.

“My Dad actually cried – and he is not a crier! I don’t think I have seen him cry for years! They were happy tears, of course. Your family, your parents… they are on this journey with you.

“When, in previous years, I have been left out of squads and had that disappointment, it is spread across the family. Now it’s the opposite end of the scale with the happiness.

“On the day of the announcement, after training I wanted to go back and see them in Coventry. I had dinner at home with my mum and dad, my little boy and my partner. I wanted to see them.

“That’s a moment I will cherish forever. I wanted to go back and see my mum and give her a big hug. It was a special day for all of us, one I will never forget.”

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

They can't. That's Newcastles problem and partly the reasoning Youri/Maddison haven't left. 

The new FFP rules stop Newcastle from being able to carry that wage bill. Unless they make the CL this season. 

Youri and Maddison are on an absolute packet here - to the point that big six clubs could probably only equal their wage. Biggest obstacle as to why Youri hasn't left and that's come from someone well connected. 

I was working on a plausible argument that they will make top 4 this season. I have heard that Tielemans is on less than 100,000 a week at the moment. FFP or not ,he will be offered much more than that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

God damn it, the whole country are going to realise what a top lad Madders is now aren't they. The pundits wiill be itching to sell him in Jan lol

Nah. It'll be fine. When Gareth hasn't played him at all in the next 3 weeks, they'll have forgotten all about his lovely interviews...

Cue, he's picked for the first match and scores a worlie and the pundits have him transferred by December :doh:

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

I was working on a plausible argument that they will make top 4 this season. I have heard that Tielemans is on less than 100,000 a week at the moment. FFP or not ,he will be offered much more than that.

I don’t believe newcastle are paying the kind of salary that we’ve offered youri. 

pretty sure that arsenal will be offering 170/200k. Newcastle would max out around 140k and I would think that would make him their highest earner.  Youri is on his original deal here which is 70/80k (unless he had a ticking increase inserted when he signed). 

1 hour ago, FoxInTheBox89 said:

Such a charismatic man and it is so refreshing not having to listen to robotic footballers. He sounds like one of the lads! :)

Great interview, as expected.

But I hate that there's no mics on the journos for when they ask lol 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Stay at Leicester…cos he might meet me one dark night…

To wish him happy Birthday…:D

2 hours ago, FoxInTheBox89 said:

Such a charismatic man and it is so refreshing not having to listen to robotic footballers. He sounds like one of the lads! :)

Imagine Madders v Kane in a communication contest ...  no contest  :)   What a great captain/team spokesman Madders would be.  We can only hope he'll be given a chance on the pitch (but not betting on it :mellow:)

The Newcastle fans have become utter entitled twunts. They're all over the place thinking they can snap their fingers and sign Maddison. Oh, and then have him on the bench to bring him on as an impact sub, ffs... They're utterly convinced that Maddison is desperate to join them. 

5 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2022-maddison-dad-tears-england-b1040451.html

James Maddison reveals dad’s tears of joy at World Cup 2022 call-up as England ace’s soul-searching pays off
VIEW COMMENTS
By Dan Kilpatrick@Dan_KP

James Maddison says he never gave up hope he would play for England again but has admitted he questioned himself during his spell out in the cold.

Maddison was last week rewarded for his superb Leicester form with a surprise call-up to Gareth Southgate's World Cup squad, having not been included since winning his only cap in 2019.

The 25-year-old faces fierce competition for places with the likes of Jack Grealish, Phil Foden and Mason Mount in Qatar but only Harry Kane can better Maddison's 24 goal involvements in the top flight in 2022.

The Foxes playmaker says there is no bitterness towards Southgate for ignoring him for so long and insists he always believed he would earn another chance.

“I never felt like it had gone,” Maddison said at England's World Cup training base in Al Wakrah, south of Doha. “There were obviously times where you might feel like you were playing well and weren't selected, which was the case a couple of times.

“But it’s about having the right mindset and staying hungry to achieve and not thinking it’s a closed door.

“I don’t think at any point I thought the opportunity had gone. It was just about almost using the rejection of not getting called up in previous camps as motivation to try and get back in and force my way back in.

“There's no bitterness, I know Gareth’s the England manager and he’s got a lot of talent at his disposal. But just keeping that mindset of staying hungry, scoring, assisting, affecting games and showing I can be an asset for him at this level.

“There was definitely times where you question certain things and [think], 'What am I doing that's not getting me in the England squad?’," Maddison added.

“I think you have to because otherwise it might almost be a little bit arrogant of not improving.

“The pinnacle is playing for England, right? And when you feel like you're playing well, and you might be deserving of a call and you don't get it, you’ve kind of got to tell yourself ‘how can I do better to get in?’ instead of having the arrogance of ‘I should be in’.

“I think I did that and I worked very hard behind the scenes at Leicester on how I can score more, how can I assist more to almost try and force the manager’s hand so he can't leave me out.”

Maddison has been on dazzling form the Foxes, scoring seven times in the first half of the campaign, but he said he admitted he was “preparing for the worst” ahead of last week's big announcement.

“I was kind of braced for both [good and bad news],” he said. “Like hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I hadn’t been in a squad for three years and I’m not naïve.

I had a missed call off Gareth Southgate, so the heart starts beating.

“But I also had that hope, that I was playing, I was in good form, I was in goalscoring form. I’ve been a threat for a little while now on the pitch and was hoping for the good call instead of the bad call. Thankfully I was on the receiving end of a good phone call from Gareth and one that I’ll never forget.

“I was in Brendan [Rodgers'] office having a chat with him about stuff, about the day, and he asked me if I had heard anything, and I hadn’t at that point. We were talking through it.

“He was just being a good man-manager and putting his arm around me if I didn’t get the call and how it would look and how to stay motivated for Saturday’s game and enjoy the break. Went back down to the changing room afterwards and had a missed call off Gareth Southgate, so the heart starts beating.

“I had his number saved still. I went up and called him back, he gave me the good news and it was all a bit of a blur. After the call finished and he told me I was in, it was a big of a head on the wall moment, big deep breath and called my parents.

“My Dad actually cried – and he is not a crier! I don’t think I have seen him cry for years! They were happy tears, of course. Your family, your parents… they are on this journey with you.

“When, in previous years, I have been left out of squads and had that disappointment, it is spread across the family. Now it’s the opposite end of the scale with the happiness.

“On the day of the announcement, after training I wanted to go back and see them in Coventry. I had dinner at home with my mum and dad, my little boy and my partner. I wanted to see them.

“That’s a moment I will cherish forever. I wanted to go back and see my mum and give her a big hug. It was a special day for all of us, one I will never forget.”

So - How many minutes is Gareth going to give him???

2 minutes ago, Diffco said:

That is such a great interview, for a player that's been out of the fold for so long. Relaxed, astute, modest and detailed. Hope he gets enough time to show his worth, James is one of a kind. Fair play to him. 

Just watching now… the bit that made me laugh was Madders calling Southgate, Gareth. Seemed weird.

11 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Ask Top for a rise.  To replace him will cost the Club how much?   

6 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Hopefully his hip issue doesn't flare up, which has been the case a few times in the past.

Think we should talk about that  very loudly and at great length.....might sow seeds of doubt in the minds of the money men.

12 hours ago, FoxInTheBox89 said:

FFS when will these fvcking press conferences arrange it so we can hear the (interminable) questions.