Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

1 hour ago, Supergray22 said:

Kyle walker will miss the first game due to injury and Calvin  Phillips has only played 40 minutes post injury. Depends how bad Maddison injury is. It sounds like they are just resting him up ready for Monday. If there was one game they are likely to feature him in it would have been this one. Depends how he looks over the weekend should he train. 

Don't be surprised to see Phillips start. 

Southgate seems him as one of his most important players 

40 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

I feel like he’s probably got a knee injury that during the regular season would keep him out for a week or two.  

Because it’s the World Cup though, he’s pretending it’s fine and he’ll try and play anyway (if GS gives him any minutes). 

My only worry is if he aggravates it and ends up out for a while when he returns. 

He said in his interview that he had a scan and that the results were positive, but that he would need to do extra work with the physios. I imagine its one of those where they have said the best thing to do is as rest it as much as possible and to be careful to avoid impact during that rest period, hence light training away from the group. 

2 hours ago, goose2010 said:

Don't be surprised to see Phillips start. 

Southgate seems him as one of his most important players 

If he is fit I would be surprised if he didn’t. Of course he plays a different role to madders and is very good at it. I was just answering the question as to whether james would get in the squad and if they are carrying two injured players at the start then that likelihood is enhanced. 

31 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Talksport (yes, I know, not always reliable) just reporting as breaking news Maddison will not be fit for Monday.

That’s not a surprise  if he hasn’t trained 

if they don’t think he can be fit for Friday then surely they will replace him ?  It’s not like players aren’t fit enough to just come in 

Edited by st albans fox

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

That’s not a surprise  if he hasn’t trained 

if they don’t think he can be fit for Friday then surely they will replace him ?  It’s not like players aren’t fit enough to just come in 

They have until Sunday to make substitutions. I guess it depends on if they think it will improve. Walker was selected with them, knowing he'll not be ready for Monday.

11 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

They have until Sunday to make substitutions. I guess it depends on if they think it will improve. Walker was selected with them, knowing he'll not be ready for Monday.

He hasn't trained properly from what I can make out for two weeks, the week leading into West Ham and this week, it's not ideal being away from the group on your first major call up.

1 hour ago, Beachyboy said:

He hasn't trained properly from what I can make out for two weeks, the week leading into West Ham and this week, it's not ideal being away from the group on your first major call up.

If Southgate has any longer term interest in keeping madders in the squad, then he may well decide not to rock the boat and to allow him to recover his fitness out there. But it won’t look good if he is unable to train, day after day with a squad place effectively unused. 

I really think him being in the England squad is a bit of a lose-lose situation for us.

If he plays and does well the pressure to sell in January will be huge. Especially as he's one of the few players we have of any significant value, and we need the money. If he plays and is poor, then he will come back feeling disillusioned.

Also, it appears he's quite clearly not fit to play. He didn't train for week before our last game and couldn't finish the match. Now he can't train properly with England. Must be a good chance he will be replaced in the squad as he's not a core member of it and it would make Southgate's decisions easier yto make.

Alternatively, he trains and plays and aggravates an injury and is then out for several weeks.

If this was a normal season, we would all be complaining right now about Brendan playing and training a player who is carrying an injury etc etc. and saying he should be rested until properly recovered.

if he's not fit, I'd prefer he was replaced and sent back so he can recover properly and then play for us rather than risk him aggravating an injury training for a tournament he's not likely to feature much in anyway.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

I was just about to ask that. Can’t see any news on that. 

scratch that. Just seen he will likely miss the Iran match. 

22 minutes ago, ThurmastonFox said:

That was yesterday wasn't it? Heard nothing today.

24 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Lets be honest the entire midfield could get injured and he still wouldn't get in the starting XI

16 minutes ago, sm1 said:

He was only likely to get 5 or 10mins at the tournament, so from Southgate's perspective, not a great loss.

The question isn’t now how much time he gets on the pitch but whether he gets replaced tomorrow ! 

25 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The question isn’t now how much time he gets on the pitch but whether he gets replaced tomorrow ! 

I suppose that depends on how fit he is. By the media reports he's not even fit enough to train yet, let alone play. If that continues Sothgate hasn't got much choice.