Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

2 hours ago, paulski said:

It’s a repeat of the vardy situation at the last tournament, in the squad but no real plan to use him unless they get to the point in a game and bring him on when it’s too late. Are we so unorthodox our players don’t fit systems?

Maguire and Chilwell, both fit the system, both played for England regular while they were here. So we aren't unorthodox. It's about the England squad though, not just our players, and people use Vardy as an example but at that time England lacked quality out wide too. I read an interview with Rooney today where he mentioned he would play left midfield at the end of his England career, Daniel Sturridge too, just to get into the side.

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I mean in all fairness, we know Madders had been carrying a knock and we all saw him go down and come off in the last game before the break. It's not like it's completely made up.

Yeah obviously but it’s a thought. Hopefully that isn’t the case and we actually see him make some sort of appearance in the competition.

I don't really get the 'this would have been the game he'd played in' notion anyway. Gareth has decided to play Saka over Foden today apparently so how on earth was Madders ever getting a start??

We should (we wont...) win every game in this group, he was never going to start but probably will get few sub appearances.

• Like 1

It's a long tournament - I am sure he will get a chance at some point, especially with there being 5 subs allowed. It's important England have a good start, so if there's any doubts on his fitness its right that he doesn't play today. He's said himself he needed extra time with the physios but the scan itself was good news. I just think (as per usual) the media wanted to create a story. 

• Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 08:19, st albans fox said:

If Southgate has any longer term interest in keeping madders in the squad, then he may well decide not to rock the boat and to allow him to recover his fitness out there. But it won’t look good if he is unable to train, day after day with a squad place effectively unused. 

Regardless of the injury, his role would probably have been a cameo role, an I'm sure he has enough fitness even now to play 20 mins here and there.

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

It's a long tournament - I am sure he will get a chance at some point, especially with there being 5 subs allowed. It's important England have a good start, so if there's any doubts on his fitness its right that he doesn't play today. He's said himself he needed extra time with the physios but the scan itself was good news. I just think (as per usual) the media wanted to create a story. 

I guess my concern would be that it appears to be worse than initially reported. If he hasn’t trained yet then Southgate would be taking a risk even playing him in the remaining group matches. He must have dropped down the pecking order. Very unfortunate. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Mount was poor, he will get a chance still I'm sure of it. 5 subs, can easily see the go to subs in the heat being Grealish for Sterling, Rashford or Foden for Saka and then Maddison has every chance of starting over Mount, let alone get on as a sub.

Mount produced a master class in looking busy but delivering absolutely nothing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1