Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

56 minutes ago, shailen said:

He will find it hard to break in as in all fairness, England's front line were on fire today including subs. He could come on and make an impact from the bench but only Mason Mount's position is up for grabs imo. 

Your right. Can see him only getting minutes when nothing to play for. Unless lots of absentees.

3 minutes ago, John12345 said:

Your right. Can see him only getting minutes when nothing to play for. Unless lots of absentees.

A fit Maddison would have been very useful coming on today. Bellingham was excellent though and he is probably Maddison’s main natural competition for a starting spot. So you’re probably right that he will need a few absentees to create a place for him. He has flexibility on his side though so he could play a few roles which could be crucial. 

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

It's an art in itself. I've worked with a lot of people like that. Great if you can get away with it. 

To be fair a lot of the work he does off the ball is very important. He has a level of athleticism and intensity that is right up there. He can play a bit too and chip in with the goals. I think it will be Phillips who is likely to contend for mounts place  when we play against some of the better teams. 

7 hours ago, Supergray22 said:

A fit Maddison would have been very useful coming on today. Bellingham was excellent though and he is probably Maddison’s main natural competition for a starting spot. So you’re probably right that he will need a few absentees to create a place for him. He has flexibility on his side though so he could play a few roles which could be crucial. 

Surely Mount is Maddison's direct competitor? Bellingham is great but he's a box to box midfielder who plays deeper. In the 4231 formation we played yesterday Maddison would be perfect in behind the striker. He's so much more creative than Mount and Foden is better out wide in my view. But I expect Southgate to remain loyal to Mount. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Surely Mount is Maddison's direct competitor? Bellingham is great but he's a box to box midfielder who plays deeper. In the 4231 formation we played yesterday Maddison would be perfect in behind the striker. He's so much more creative than Mount and Foden is better out wide in my view. But I expect Southgate to remain loyal to Mount. 

I get what you are saying but you can make a case for him being up against both (plus possibly Phillips who will come back in against stronger teams in sacrificing an attacking talent for solidity).  Bellingham is just such a talent, so creative and good on the ball. Maddison is better on the ball, creative and aware IMO than mount but not as athletic or pacey. In that way Maddison is more akin to Bellingham with that magical touch, but the latter can do the dirty work better. Southgate also likes that resilience and athleticism that mount offers. If he proves his fitness I think Maddison will get a chance either through rotation, fitness doubts or in game management. When he gets a chance he needs to be ready to take it and show the sparkle he brings. 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hmmmmm dunno why his missus and little lad would be out there though if his injury was going to keep him out for the majority of it. Hopefully something will be confirmed in the coming days on what's happening.

I think they’d want to be there to support him no matter what.  I’m sure there’s at least a hope he’ll be fit but it’s not looking good 

2 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I think they’d want to be there to support him no matter what.  I’m sure there’s at least a hope he’ll be fit but it’s not looking good 

It’s very strange - he said words to the effect that the scan showed nothing of any significance and it was very positive. 

to not be able to train outdoors for over a week after that sort of says that the word significance has a wide spread of meaning! 

if we’d not had the break then we would be looking at missing him for 2 weekends, possibly more  

whilst the team is performing well, no one in the press will make much of this 

45 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s very strange - he said words to the effect that the scan showed nothing of any significance and it was very positive. 

to not be able to train outdoors for over a week after that sort of says that the word significance has a wide spread of meaning! 

if we’d not had the break then we would be looking at missing him for 2 weekends, possibly more  

whilst the team is performing well, no one in the press will make much of this 

He does spend a lot of time with Brendan......fingers crossed he's fit by Boxing Day :ph34r:

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hmmmmm dunno why his missus and little lad would be out there though if his injury was going to keep him out for the majority of it. Hopefully something will be confirmed in the coming days on what's happening.

"Hey babe, I've got to go to Qatar for a month.  Do you want to come or stay at home in the freezing rain?"

• Haha 1