Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

22 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Yeh I bet he’s thrown on as a Hail Mary against Senegal in the dying minutes as we’re chasing the game. Probably will use all 5 subs. Sad but we all want to see madders play. 

Still will not pick him, I just do not think Southgate really rates him, he likes his solid, no thrills dependables over flair.

7 hours ago, StevieH said:

All the stats say he is better than Foden and Co but he won't get a game. At least he'll come back injury free.

If he was not injured, he will be in good contention. But it is hard to replace Foden in the team - he has been doing well. Hopefully Maddison does not try to force playing through injury and he does come back injury free.

7 hours ago, Cincinnati Fox said:

He won’t play a minute 

southgate is a clown.

on form he is better than grealish, mount and sterling 

i

have no interested in England. Roll on Milton Keynes 

I think Sterling is a different type of player than Madders. Sterling is better on the wing cutting in. Sterling is invaluable - and he scored against us again this season. Mount used to be better than Madders but Madders have definitely caught up and overtaken him. I don’t want to underrate Grealish - Madders was not as good two years ago but he has certainly caught up.

Edited by Tom12345

Whilst I don’t hold much faith In Southgate’s appetite to play him even in emergency, in all fairness he’s trained in the squad for circa 3 days and probably wasn’t worth risking his knee in the Wales game so early in him coming back.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t get on having missed the group stages now as he really needs a half hour chance to shine and prove himself without the pressure of us needing a goal with 8 minutes to go in a last ditch effort. Hopefully he’ll get a game against Senegal in the second half when we are 3 up with 30 mins to go and build his case from there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Whilst I don’t hold much faith In Southgate’s appetite to play him even in emergency, in all fairness he’s trained in the squad for circa 3 days and probably wasn’t worth risking his knee in the Wales game so early in him coming back.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t get on having missed the group stages now as he really needs a half hour chance to shine and prove himself without the pressure of us needing a goal with 8 minutes to go in a last ditch effort. Hopefully he’ll get a game against Senegal in the second half when we are 3 up with 30 mins to go and build his case from there.

All makes sense, except that I wouldn’t underestimate Senegal. They are African champions and they have Mendy in their starting eleven! At least their coach knows a good player when he sees one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

All makes sense, except that I wouldn’t underestimate Senegal. They are African champions and they have Mendy in their starting eleven! At least their coach knows a good player when he sees one.

Ha, absolutely - hence ‘hopefully’ ! 🙂

Rashford and Saka have scored 5 goals in 3 games from RW, Sterling, Grealish and Foden have scored another 3 off the left. The annoying thing is we have such an abundance of talent in the attacking areas that it isn't as big a scandal him not playing as it has been in the past.

I hope he can be viewed as the option to bring on behind Kane or Wilson rather than competing with those 5 for a spot out wide. Mount shouldn't get a gig again this tournament, he's too ponderous and his touch is naff. I get Maddison won't start right now as that will be the midfield 3 that started last night in knockout games but he has to be the go to 8/10, HAS TO BE.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

If Southgate felt giving Grealish those final 15mins was more beneficial than giving a run to Madders. Then he's got no chance. Bar a tsunami of the trots running through the squad!!!

Or he thinks Maddison still needs more training. Is annoying nonetheless, it's hard to envisage a more ideal scenario to give him minutes to prove his worth and fitness.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Or he thinks Maddison still needs more training. Is annoying nonetheless, it's hard to envisage a more ideal scenario to give him minutes to prove his worth and fitness.

If he can be on the bench. He's got 15 mins in him surely? We will never know how this would have all panned out for Madders had the WHU injury not occured. My instincts say - not much different. 

4 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

We do not do common sense on this thread. Only hysteria.

How is that common sense? He would have to be a usual starter for that to be the case.

You can hope that the plan all along has been for Southgate to unleash him on this tournament as England's known unknown brought out from the shadows, and he has been cursing his rotten luck in Maddison's injury leaving him unable to do that.

But based on what we know, that's wishful thinking, not common sense. Clearly, I hope it is the case though.