Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

Just now, ealingfox said:

How is that common sense? He would have to be a usual starter for that to be the case.

You can hope that the plan all along has been for Southgate to unleash him on this tournament as England's known unknown brought out from the shadows, and he has been cursing his rotten luck in Maddison's injury leaving him unable to do that.

But based on what we know, that's wishful thinking, not common sense. Clearly, I hope it is the case though.

Because he has only just begun training again and it was not worth risking him with a last 16 game coming up? 

Unsure why anyone would think otherwise.  I know we all want to see a Leicester player in an England shirt at the World cup but common sense says don't risk someone who has just come back from a knee injury when we are leading 3-0....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Because he has only just begun training again and it was not worth risking him with a last 16 game coming up? 

Unsure why anyone would think otherwise.  I know we all want to see a Leicester player in an England shirt at the World cup but common sense says don't risk someone who has just come back from a knee injury when we are leading 3-0....

The counter-point is that he isn't going to play him at all beyond a token 5 minutes, at best. Not that he's waiting for the right moment or managing his injury, because that implies Southgate plans on using him in a substantive way.

It was easy for Southgate to leave him out. Just imagine if he had come on for the last 20 mins and played outstanding. People would be clammering for him to play from the start which would have given him a real headache with Southgate's favourites to appease. Easier to leave him out totally.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StevieH said:

It was easy for Southgate to leave him out. Just imagine if he had come on for the last 20 mins and played outstanding. People would be clammering for him to play from the start which would have given him a real headache with Southgate's favourites to appease. Easier to leave him out totally.

Yeah because Southgate would rather lose the World Cup than play Maddison :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

The counter-point is that he isn't going to play him at all beyond a token 5 minutes, at best. Not that he's waiting for the right moment or managing his injury, because that implies Southgate plans on using him in a substantive way.

Injuries aside, my assumption would be that Southgate might use him as a shit or bust option if we're losing a game by more than one goal with 10-15 minutes to go, or maybe(ishnotreally) if we're struggling to break down Senegal on Sunday. But these wouldn't be 'token' minutes. I think we ran out of available token minutes when we got into the knock out phase

Playing a 'last minute' addition to the squad (an 'ooh fancy' one at that) in the knockout phases of the World Cup, without being in some way forced to, would be a fairly gung-ho move for any manager, and Southgate is clearly not that. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Playing a 'last minute' addition to the squad (an 'ooh fancy' one at that) in the knockout phases of the World Cup, without being in some way forced to, would be a fairly gung-ho move for any manager, and Southgate is clearly not that. 

agree with all of this, but the madness is that maddison wasn't a (to some useful degree at least) tried and tested option already !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

This is my take as well and I was actually worried that Southgate would bring him on, not fully fit, and his injury would be exacerbated.

Broader than this, as much as I want to see Maddison playing and ripping it up for England, I genuinely don't see how he plays except in an absolutely desperate situation.  The pecking order across all the attacking positions is very much embedded, and he is way down the list.

Not saying he's worse than the players in front of him, as he's not, just that for right or wrong he's the new boy and manager's naturally prefer the tried, tested and trusted. 

Can't really see him getting any minutes in the normal course of events, which will be a shame but probably the reality.

I also don't hold with the narrative that things would be different if he played for a bigger club.  His status would be the same.

At least he'll come back with a nice sun tan and be well rested!

3 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Being purely City-focused: maybe him getting to the WC but not really playing is a blessing for us. He proves he can get into England without needing to go to a "big" club but he's been scuppered by injury, which means when he doesn't play there's a legit reason.

In short - please sign a new contract

Disagree. He got into this squad because Southgate was pressured by the media to take him. He won't get a game for England while he's still at little old Leicester. But I'm predicting that he'll play in the first England game that's played after his move to a "bigger" club.

Same thing happened with Drinkwater. Couldn't even get into the England euros squad after playing almost every minute the year we won the league, but the second he moved to Chelsea he was selected for the next england squad despite barely kicking a hall for Chelsea (he did withdraw from that squad though if I remember rightly?)

I'm obviously looking at this with a tin foil hat and blue tinted specs on, and there's obviously a couple of notable exceptions (Vardy, Maguire), but i can't shake the feeling that there's some sort of Anti-Leicester agenda when it comes to England squads 

7 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Disagree. He got into this squad because Southgate was pressured by the media to take him. He won't get a game for England while he's still at little old Leicester. But I'm predicting that he'll play in the first England game that's played after his move to a "bigger" club.

Same thing happened with Drinkwater. Couldn't even get into the England euros squad after playing almost every minute the year we won the league, but the second he moved to Chelsea he was selected for the next england squad despite barely kicking a hall for Chelsea (he did withdraw from that squad though if I remember rightly?)

I'm obviously looking at this with a tin foil hat and blue tinted specs on, and there's obviously a couple of notable exceptions (Vardy, Maguire), but i can't shake the feeling that there's some sort of Anti-Leicester agenda when it comes to England squads 

This just is not true.  Chilwell did, Maguire was at Leicester while playing a Semi-Final for England.  The only one who was under used was Vardy and that is because Kane was in front of him.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

From memory I think Wilshire was preferred to Drinkwater. A Wilshire who'd played about 6 minutes of football in the preceding 2 seasons!

Although, didn't Drinkwater drop out or make himself not available for an England squad? Perhaps in our 2016-17 season when he started well, but faded badly, carrying an injury but still playing, until we were safe? Possibly the injury was the reason he had dropped out?

• Like 1

Madders is very unlikely to make an appearance before England is losing by at least 2 goals with a few minutes to go. So, it'll be a cameo appearance at most unless he scores two and set up a third in 10 minutes of play.

Southgate would rather play his pet players first, second and third. Those players that bore the most and deliver the least, but the ones that he feels comfortable with. 

3 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

Injuries aside, my assumption would be that Southgate might use him as a shit or bust option if we're losing a game by more than one goal with 10-15 minutes to go, or maybe(ishnotreally) if we're struggling to break down Senegal on Sunday. But these wouldn't be 'token' minutes. I think we ran out of available token minutes when we got into the knock out phase

Kang-in Lee in Korea 

Maddison's form meant he should have been going straight into the starting 11 but he may as well be a 12 year old who won a competition to be in the squad.

Whilst our non world cup players have been in training camp and others have actually played, what are the chances of us getting a match fit Maddison back for when the premier league is back?

2 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Maddison's form meant he should have been going straight into the starting 11 but he may as well be a 12 year old who won a competition to be in the squad.

Whilst our non world cup players have been in training camp and others have actually played, what are the chances of us getting a match fit Maddison back for when the premier league is back?

If he’s training with England then he’ll be as fit as the boys at seagrave 

and even a fit madders would not have gone straight into the starting 11 - players don’t go straight into the tournament starting eleven when they haven’t featured for years 

I’d like to see Maddison play just for his own satisfaction.

Purely from a Leicester point of you I’m still not sure whether him not playing is a good thing for Leicester, a bad thing - or doesn’t make a blind bit of difference either way 

Edited by Jobyfox

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

If he’s training with England then he’ll be as fit as the boys at seagrave 

and even a fit madders would not have gone straight into the starting 11 - players don’t go straight into the tournament starting eleven when they haven’t featured for years 

I doubt training whilst in a tournament is anything above light but hopefully im just overthinking/paranoid.

33 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

This Ben Jacobs is the world's biggest cvnt. Olympic Gold medalist cvnt. Grade A absolute tw4t of the highest order. Know  nothing, no mates, no info, no ITK cvnt. 

Supposed Leicester fan too

Got sacked from the BBC for misconduct about a decade ago but still clings to some sort of relevance 

Edited by MattFox
  • Like 1