Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

12 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Same thing happened with Drinkwater. Couldn't even get into the England euros squad after playing almost every minute the year we won the league, but the second he moved to Chelsea he was selected for the next england squad despite barely kicking a hall for Chelsea (he did withdraw from that squad though if I remember rightly?)

I could be wrong...but im pretty sure Drinkwater was selected and played for England whilst a Leicester player... and never aftr leaving?

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

I could be wrong...but im pretty sure Drinkwater was selected and played for England whilst a Leicester player... and never aftr leaving?

He did play a couple of games for England while he was here. I was mainly referring to the baffling decision to omit him from the 2016 Euros despite being practically ever-present for us that season). He got called up 2-3 times while at Chelsea (despite barely playing at club level) but withdrew himself from the squad each time.

Which all kind of proved (at least in my eyes) that you have more chance of getting in the England squad if you sit on the bench of a big 6 club than if you play regularly for one of the "other 14"

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

He did play a couple of games for England while he was here. I was mainly referring to the baffling decision to omit him from the 2016 Euros despite being practically ever-present for us that season). He got called up 2-3 times while at Chelsea (despite barely playing at club level) but withdrew himself from the squad each time.

Which all kind of proved (at least in my eyes) that you have more chance of getting in the England squad if you sit on the bench of a big 6 club than if you play regularly for one of the "other 14"

I think that was when they took Jack Wilshire, who’d played about 90 mins football in six months or something like that, instead of an in form Danny. 

• Like 2

I think it's safe to say that Maddison isn't going to get on the pitch in this World Cup. We always play with a front three, and Maddison is 7th choice. Even if the entire front three are subbed, Maddison doesn't get on. If he was fit for the group matches then it would have been a maybe, but the fact that he has not been available, and all of the players that share his potential positions have scored or performed well, there's no way that Southgate will give him his first WC during a knock-out round.

He's competing for a spot with Grealish, Saka, Stirling, Mount, Fodden, Rashford, and all six are ahead of him in Southgate's thinking.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

I think it's safe to say that Maddison isn't going to get on the pitch in this World Cup. We always play with a front three, and Maddison is 7th choice. Even if the entire front three are subbed, Maddison doesn't get on. If he was fit for the group matches then it would have been a maybe, but the fact that he has not been available, and all of the players that share his potential positions have scored or performed well, there's no way that Southgate will give him his first WC during a knock-out round.

He's competing for a spot with Grealish, Saka, Stirling, Mount, Fodden, Rashford, and all six are ahead of him in Southgate's thinking.

That's if he plays him in he front 3 and not in Mount's role?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim5000 said:

Maddison's best position in this squad would be ahead of Bellingham and Rice and behind the front 3. Or replacing Mount as part of a flat 3 in midfield. 

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 3

He was injured the first two games. Why risk him?  Rice came off, leaving Henderson and to a degree Phillips as the holding mids, and with other subs (all pretty logical), he wouldn't be suitable had Phillips/Henderson got injured.

It made sense to me.......and I agree he might not get a chance, but, if we are 2 up or 1 down with 20 minutes to go on Sunday, then he might well do.

England are undefeated without him......can you imagine the Brendan meltdown on here if he tinkered with an unbeaten side?

Southgate doesn't need to take a risk, and will be grateful to have him in his locker if needed....fully fit and raring to go.....

• Like 1

Southgate has already said that he has no intention of handy caps out during the world cup.  Madders is way down the pecking order and there'll need to be a fair few injuries in training before he gets anywhere near, unfortunately.

Southgate has shown that he bows to media pressure, hence why Maddison was in the squad in the first place, and note how Foden started the last game after universal media outcry.  What's been really weird for me is that given the media attention before the world cup, they have absolutely gone awol about Maddison now that it's underway.  He's barely mentioned anywhere.  It's almost like the FA have told the press not to talk about him.

Putting my objective hat on for a minute, England are playing quite well without him (although not as well as the media are making out) and even though we all know that Madders would enhance the team further, it's not like England haven't been able to deal with what's been put in front of them.

Now we're at knock out stage, it could all be over very quickly and I'm still hopeful that we'll see him on the pitch against Senegal.  I won't hold my breath though.

• Like 1

If this thread helps highlight anything then it's that Club Bias really does hold us back as a Footballing nation. Southgate once again comprehensively gets us into the knock out stages, yet there's ridiculous criticism, even though we've looked better than almost any side at the tournament.

Topped the group, 9 goals scored....Southgate has proven that his decision to not play Maddison has been the correct one.

1 hour ago, FoxyLeon said:

If this thread helps highlight anything then it's that Club Bias really does hold us back as a Footballing nation. Southgate once again comprehensively gets us into the knock out stages, yet there's ridiculous criticism, even though we've looked better than almost any side at the tournament.

Topped the group, 9 goals scored....Southgate has proven that his decision to not play Maddison has been the correct one.

I agree with almost everything you said, then totally disagree with the conclusion. Club bias absolutely holds us back, and Southgate again comfortably beats people we should comfortably beat. 

Hammering Iran and beating Wales were lovely achievements, maybe 10% better than expected outcome. Drawing with the US on the surface isn’t a catastrophe, except we looked toothless and uninspired, and they are not a good side.

Southgate has consistently failed when faced with good sides in tournaments, the exception being a fading Germany at the Euros. Villa edition Grealish never got a sniff in incredible form when we were struggling for inspiration. We could improve if he didn’t stick with big club players. 

Mount is a ‘pretty passes that lead nowhere’ sort of player, fine when you’re dominating, no use when you’re not. Maddison would make the team stronger.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MrSpaM said:

I don't see what Mason Mount has done to deserve starting every game tbh

He hasn't 

On Maddison has been injured first two games he's not going to walk  into the starting 11 and maybe not fit enough to risk any further injury for a game that was won, I'm sure he will get on but he's never going to start 

Edited by whoareyaaa