Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

He won't play ...   and we all know why ..  only there to cover Southgates arse ..  but we have such a wealth of talented players (except at centre half) that we stand an excellent chance of winning this.  If we do then Southgate will get the plaudits and the Maddison situation won't get another mention.   However if we had a better man in charge (I'd say Southgate was championship standard at best) then we would have a better chance of winning and Maddison would play ..  fine margins.  Most likely we'll go out in the semi's or the final and the critics will say how well we have done, and how unlucky we were,  and Southgate will live to fvck things up for a while longer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

He won't play ...   and we all know why ..  only there to cover Southgates arse ..  but we have such a wealth of talented players (except at centre half) that we stand an excellent chance of winning this.  If we do then Southgate will get the plaudits and the Maddison situation won't get another mention.   However if we had a better man in charge (I'd say Southgate was championship standard at best) then we would have a better chance of winning and Maddison would play ..  fine margins.  Most likely we'll go out in the semi's or the final and the critics will say how well we have done, and how unlucky we were,  and Southgate will live to fvck things up for a while longer.

As much as you think he’s not up to it, if you’re making semis and finals of major tournaments then you aren’t fooking anything up.  I don’t think he has the nouse to get us over the line but if he makes the semis then I can’t diss him 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

As much as you think he’s not up to it, if you’re making semis and finals of major tournaments then you aren’t fooking anything up.  I don’t think he has the nouse to get us over the line but if he makes the semis then I can’t diss him 

Errr ...  isn't that what I'm saying ..

1 hour ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

I agree with almost everything you said, then totally disagree with the conclusion. Club bias absolutely holds us back, and Southgate again comfortably beats people we should comfortably beat. 

Hammering Iran and beating Wales were lovely achievements, maybe 10% better than expected outcome. Drawing with the US on the surface isn’t a catastrophe, except we looked toothless and uninspired, and they are not a good side.

Southgate has consistently failed when faced with good sides in tournaments, the exception being a fading Germany at the Euros. Villa edition Grealish never got a sniff in incredible form when we were struggling for inspiration. We could improve if he didn’t stick with big club players. 

Mount is a ‘pretty passes that lead nowhere’ sort of player, fine when you’re dominating, no use when you’re not. Maddison would make the team stronger.

'Club Bias' isn't what you think it is. The perfect example of Club Bias was when we would select Lampard/Gerrard/Scholes/Rooney/Beckham/Ferdinand/Terry etc, because of their Club form. They were always the best in form players in the country in their position....But they were horrid in an England shirt, and a perfect example of why Club form doesn't equal success. In fact, 'The Germans' as we refer to them at every tournament, have been the perfect example over the years of how the International 'Conveyor belt' system is far more successful. 

Harry Maguire is the perfect example to prove this narrative wrong. He got into the England squad on his Leicester form, and remains there on his England form. 

What about Foden too? The fact Southgate hasn't been picking him, once again proves that he has no 'Big Club' bias, as he's leaving him out for players at lesser clubs. Like Sterling and Saka, who once again, are being selected by him on 'England Form'.

I do agree with you that so far Mount has been the weakest area of the Midfield. But Southgate actually spotted the issue, and fixed it during the latter stages of the US game and against Wales. We need someone else in there who offers greater defensive ability, a Henderson/Phillips. Maddison offers even less defensive work than Mount, so much so that Rodgers, who is terrible defensively, doesn't even trust him as an 8 anymore. Maddison just isn't good enough to displace Bellingham or Saka, and they're really only the two positions he could play in this team.

People want us to play like 2010 Spain, without realising we don't have the players. People forget that Spain team had perhaps the greatest defence of that generation in World Football...Not just the midfield. Ramos, Puyol, Pique and Capdevila is three World Class center halves and a very defensive left back...We simply don't have the level of defence to let Maddison play in a similar role to an Iniesta. In fact I seem to recall Iniesta playing a lot of that tournament our wide, and they had Xavi, Xabi Alonso and Busquets all sitting in midfield. We're miles away from that, we can't carry a player like Maddison.

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Yes but you’re also saying he’s a championship level coach and my point is that if we make the last four then that’s disrespectful 

Not in my opinion ...  the two points are not mutually exclusive ..  and I've explained why.

The issue shouldn't be based solely on this tournament but beyond it. What sort of international career will Maddison have? He's had to work exceptionally hard to get into a squad- three years is an incredible amount of time given how freely Southgate calls players up. The next matches are three months away- what if Maddison is injured or loses form? He could easily be lost in the argument about which players should be involved. He's not a Southgate favourite and won't be included come what may.

This World Cup is one thing- what happens after should be of equal importance.

Unless Southgate decides that the knock-out stages against Senegal and likely France are a better time to introduce a new player, better than being three nil up against Wales, at least, god willing, Maddison should have a front row seat to a small ray of sunshine, the exact moment when Southgate’s depressing gray England career comes to a glorious and unceremonial end.

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

Mount (agent) seems to be playing hard ball with his new contract and reported today has rejected the latest offering, I wonder how long it will be before we see the words Maddison and Chelsea very close together in a headline.

Actually seen that( Madders to Chels) on twitter the other day . Can't remember the source though. 😅

On 02/12/2022 at 11:14, FoxyLeon said:

What about Foden too? The fact Southgate hasn't been picking him, once again proves that he has no 'Big Club' bias, as he's leaving him out for players at lesser clubs. Like Sterling and Saka, who once again, are being selected by him on 'England Form'.

Not that I'm agreeing with the big club bias calls, but this is a terrible example surely? He's leaving out a Man City player for a Chelsea and/or Arsenal player. That's your example to disprove the bias?

The arguments and possible southgate thinking for leaving madders out is totally plausible. Being such a late selection to the squad means he wasn’t in Englands long term WC strategy. Saying that SG has to remain some what flexible due to injuries or form of his favourites. Madders I believe is not in the squad just for fun. He’s being kept ready to come on IF southgate needs him. The game and opposition will determine if we see him play or not. 
so fat he has not been needed but as we go thru the tournament an opportunity might arrise and the probability increases.

Madders is Englands Hail Mary card ‘use in emergency!’

will we see him against Senegal tomorrow? Probably not BUT let’s see what happens..,

5 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

The arguments and possible southgate thinking for leaving madders out is totally plausible. Being such a late selection to the squad means he wasn’t in Englands long term WC strategy. Saying that SG has to remain some what flexible due to injuries or form of his favourites. Madders I believe is not in the squad just for fun. He’s being kept ready to come on IF southgate needs him. The game and opposition will determine if we see him play or not. 
so fat he has not been needed but as we go thru the tournament an opportunity might arrise and the probability increases.

Madders is Englands Hail Mary card ‘use in emergency!’

will we see him against Senegal tomorrow? Probably not BUT let’s see what happens..,

Well ...   I've not heard that one before ..  :)

2 hours ago, los dedos said:

Actually seen that( Madders to Chels) on twitter the other day . Can't remember the source though. 😅

Unfortunately I can see our James thinking Newcastle No Chelsea yes.

Chelsea have a lot of clearing out to do and looks like the new owner wants todays names so the likes of Havertz, Ziyech, Pulisic and maybe Mount if trying to pull a fast 1 along will be sold with aging Kante, Jorginho & Kovacic maybe looking for a place in the sun

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Mount (agent) seems to be playing hard ball with his new contract and reported today has rejected the latest offering, I wonder how long it will be before we see the words Maddison and Chelsea very close together in a headline.

Man City by the way Pep was canoodling him after our last game against them, just like when he comforted Mahrez

23 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Ziyech, havertz and pullisich also Koulibaly have had a pretty good WC tournament so far so their value is pretty high compared to the others in the chelsea team.

Pulisic for sure has pulled his name back and if they can overcome Netherlands today it’ll rise further

47 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Unfortunately I can see our James thinking Newcastle No Chelsea yes.

Chelsea have a lot of clearing out to do and looks like the new owner wants todays names so the likes of Havertz, Ziyech, Pulisic and maybe Mount if trying to pull a fast 1 along will be sold with aging Kante, Jorginho & Kovacic maybe looking for a place in the sun

Maddison will be gone this summer, short of some miraculous run from ourselves that ends with a place in Europe. Even then, I'm not sure it will be enough for him to stay, unless its champions league, and there will be plenty of interest too, which I expect he ready knows.  I can see Tottenham, Liverpool, maybe Chelsea being in for him, and of course Newcastle. I actually think he might really fancy Newcastle. Their money means it's just a matter of time before they start winning things and become a regular top 4 team, and he will be idolised almost to the point of sainthood,  by their fans if he does well too, which I think will appeal to him. 

On 02/12/2022 at 11:08, st albans fox said:

He's only making them though due to good fortune ie the luck of the draw. His excellent stewardship thus far has seen us do reasonably well against the likes of the mighty San Marino, Albania, Iran, USA and Wales. He must have been quivering in his shoes trying to sort out tactics and pick a team against that lot. Good job Grimsby and Notts County aren't eligible for the World Cup or he might have been really stretched!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Interestingly in an interview with Phil Foden just played on BBC he said that Gareth Southgate has told all the attacking players that they will get an opportunity. We will see... 

If that’s true then that p1sses me off more than anything ..   you play your best team ..  your best form team ..  not promise players ‘some game time’ ..  you’re in the World Cup ffs ..  in it to win it !!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Interestingly in an interview with Phil Foden just played on BBC he said that Gareth Southgate has told all the attacking players that they will get an opportunity. We will see... 

He also added that he thinks they've all played now. To which I replied NO THEY F******G HAVEN'T lol

Edited by TK95
  • Haha 1