Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

1 hour ago, Hamilton Fox said:

Can’t argue with southgates results but it annoys even more because Maddison would have been able to anything any of those subs did today and wouldn’t have been any worse so he really should have at least been given some minutes.

With a back four that would struggle to keep up with a snail as soon as they come across a quick and quick passing side it'll be game over. I think that will be France, that sluggish defence is really going to be chasing shadows and slipstreams. I cannot see madders getting any minutes with flip flop hairstyle preferred even though all he does is fall over.

15 minutes ago, Big_Nige said:

Southgate doesn’t trust Maddison, the same way he doesn’t trust Trent. It’s a real shame because no player in England has consistently played at his level for the last 14 months. But until there is a new man in charge of England Maddison won’t get a sniff. Genuinely don’t think it’s anything to do with big club bias, and is certainly nothing to do with “little old Leicester” syndrome (can we all agree that’s a banning offence just saying that phrase). Under Southgate players have generally had chances regardless of who they play for, and for all my frustrations with Southgate’s England he hands out caps like confetti and has a very good tournament record. However it appears very difficult to earn his “trust” and for players he doesn’t trust you’ll get very limited opportunities in games that matter 

in this tournament there is a core of 17 players

Pickford

Walker

Trippier

Maguire

Stones

Shaw

Rice

Phillips

Henderson

Bellingham

Mount

Saka

Sterling

Rashford

Foden

Grealish

Kane

The rest are to make up the numbers, and unfortunately Maddison is one of them. After not getting on against Wales I’ve made my peace with him not playing. Let him come back fit and firing ready for Boxing Day 

The problem is that madders motivation over the last few months has been England. If he doesn't get a sniff after getting into the squad then he may just think 'what's the point?' then either leave for a 'big 6 club' or just lose that drive. I doubt it's the later as he clearly is desperate to play for England so that only leaves one option.. 

49 minutes ago, Big_Nige said:

Southgate doesn’t trust Maddison, the same way he doesn’t trust Trent. It’s a real shame because no player in England has consistently played at his level for the last 14 months. But until there is a new man in charge of England Maddison won’t get a sniff. Genuinely don’t think it’s anything to do with big club bias, and is certainly nothing to do with “little old Leicester” syndrome (can we all agree that’s a banning offence just saying that phrase). Under Southgate players have generally had chances regardless of who they play for, and for all my frustrations with Southgate’s England he hands out caps like confetti and has a very good tournament record. However it appears very difficult to earn his “trust” and for players he doesn’t trust you’ll get very limited opportunities in games that matter 

in this tournament there is a core of 17 players

Pickford

Walker

Trippier

Maguire

Stones

Shaw

Rice

Phillips

Henderson

Bellingham

Mount

Saka

Sterling

Rashford

Foden

Grealish

Kane

The rest are to make up the numbers, and unfortunately Maddison is one of them. After not getting on against Wales I’ve made my peace with him not playing. Let him come back fit and firing ready for Boxing Day 

Thank you Lord an ally to have that phrase banished. It's a phrase reserved exclusively for Omega males. 

• Haha 1

Won't get anywhere near the pitch unless we are 3 nil down with 5 minutes left perhaps....other than that despite Sterling going home I'd even say Connor Gallagher is ahead of him....England don't play a system that suits Madders TBF and right now he might as well just jump on a private jet with Papy....doubt Southgate would even notice he'd gone 😅

59 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Can anyone complain that he isn’t playing? Injured first 2 games and the team is winning games, so tough luck. Some of the responses in here are pathetic! Crying because a Leicester player isn’t playing is bizarre 

Nail on head.

BuT BrO ItS aLL a BiG CoNsPirAcy!

1 hour ago, shailen said:

If he hadn't come into the squad with an injury he'd have played but that's the fine margins and England have put out some really dominant displays so can't see him getting any time. 

This comment is far too balanced and sensible for this thread.

Shame on you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hejammy said:

The problem is that madders motivation over the last few months has been England. If he doesn't get a sniff after getting into the squad then he may just think 'what's the point?' then either leave for a 'big 6 club' or just lose that drive. I doubt it's the later as he clearly is desperate to play for England so that only leaves one option.. 

Its fairly obvious he will leave in the summer regardless of whether or not he plays for England.

Southgate has pissed him about but he is the manager and thats that.

Its boring now and if it ever gets to the point where we need a goal and Maddison is the best option it would be extra twattish of Southgate to throw him on and expect an instant impact.

• Like 1

It sure is now looking like madders chance has gone. The deeper we go and the better we do with the regulars the less likely SG is even gonna think he needs to try someone different. Also feel like introducing a player half way thru the tournament who hasn’t even played 1 min with his team mates in a high stakes game environment is super risky. I blame SG as he could have brought madders back into the fold months before the tournament. Such a shame a we all know madders could enhance this team even more.

1 hour ago, cruzFOX said:

It sure is now looking like madders chance has gone. The deeper we go and the better we do with the regulars the less likely SG is even gonna think he needs to try someone different. Also feel like introducing a player half way thru the tournament who hasn’t even played 1 min with his team mates in a high stakes game environment is super risky. I blame SG as he could have brought madders back into the fold months before the tournament. Such a shame a we all know madders could enhance this team even more.

He was stuffed as soon as he got injured.  Now unless we are in extra time and half the team is injured, he won't get any minutes.  Still, I hope he has enjoyed the experience.

Southgate has very rigid views on where players can fit into his system. For example, he sees Foden as a wide player only when everyone else knows that he can play centrally as well. Similarly, he has picked Maddison as a wide forward, hence why he is listed as an attacker. In that position he is behind Foden, Saka, Sterling, Rashford and Grealish. In fact, I suspect that Mount would also be brought on in a wide position ahead of him, if it came to it. 

The system Southgate's deploying is not a 4231 with a 10 but a 433 with a 6 and two 8s. For the 8 positions, Southgate prefers Bellingham, Mount,  Henderson and probably even Gallagher to Maddison. 

So in summary Maddison is a 6/7th choice wide forward and a 5th choice 8. As a result he is the outfield equivalent of the 3rd choice keeper. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Apollo said:

Can anyone complain that he isn’t playing? Injured first 2 games and the team is winning games, so tough luck. Some of the responses in here are pathetic! Crying because a Leicester player isn’t playing is bizarre 

Spot on. The team seems to be doing OK without him. Also he may still not be 100%.

The reaction on here would be golden if he wasn't, came on, aggravated the injury and misses a chunk of the proper football to follow.

In any case if he was carrying an injury into the tournament he probably shouldn't have gone anyway.

Edited by Brizzle Fox

8 hours ago, Apollo said:

Yeah they've won games against 4 average to good sides, it does seem weird he hasn't used him despite being out of sight in the past two games to get some minutes under Maddisons belt. Especially as we're about to start going up a level in terms of opposition, it would make sense to have given some time to a different option off the bench, should we need him.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

9 hours ago, hejammy said:

I think that’s one of his motivations for sure. Hopefully he’ll see this as getting his foot in the door, getting Southgate to see him every day in training, show he’s a good traveller etc. He’ll get game time in the nation league and qualifiers and that’s where he can earn that trust, but unless there’s a few injuries to forward thinking players he’s not getting on

Problem with England is they finish bottom in a Nations league when they are up against 2 good nations (Italy and Germany) but most of the time over the past several years they play cannon fodder until they eventually meet a good nation where they will lose.

You have to bed in quality players like Maddison in all games, the lad is quality and what you need when you’re playing the top nations. England haven’t played anyone good yet but still looked unconvincing against a very poor Senegal team, I think all 3 goals came from them losing the ball very cheaply in Englands half, top teams rarely do that and that’s when you need quality like Maddison in your team.

Southgate don’t have the vision to see this.