Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

7 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

based on what? did southgate come out and say he only took him because of media pressure or is it just foxestalk making things up based on absolutely nothing as per usual?

Based on the fact he took him and despite being one of the most in form and exciting players in the Prem (and NOT now injured) has given him not one minutes game time.  And several reporters have mentioned this  ..  and I doubt they are all on foxestalk .. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Apollo said:

Can anyone complain that he isn’t playing? Injured first 2 games and the team is winning games, so tough luck. Some of the responses in here are pathetic! Crying because a Leicester player isn’t playing is bizarre 

What a plonker you are, absolutely unbelievable that people have actually liked, and even thanked you for posting such utter faecal matter!

5 hours ago, Hirsty The Blue 94 said:

Some absolute biased nonsense on here by the way.

This is a World Cup not a Mickey Mouse friendly competition handing out token 15 minute caps for fun. He was injured (which was extremely unfortunate for him) for the majority of the group stage and since then rightfully hasn't featured. The subs Southgate made yesterday were the natural back ups in all the positions that were replaced. Whether you agree or not Mount is ahead of Mads in the pecking order in the attacking midfielder role, and Foden, Saka, Rashford, Grealish and Sterling are ahead of him in the wide areas. So it makes sense to give them the last 20 minutes over Maddison, because if say Bellingham pulled up in training day before the game on Saturday it would be Mount starting in that position, so it's more important to keep him fresh rather than dish out sympathy caps. Same with Phillips and Dier coming on yesterday, the natural next men up in their positions so need to keep them ticking over with game time.

That's not to say I think Mason Mount is a better player and offers more than Maddison would because I really don't, but that's the current pecking order and isn't going to change midway through the biggest tournament in the world. 

Also kinda weird that people actively want England to lose on Saturday to be somehow validated for their opinion that Southgate is crap, lucky, boring etc. 

The point is they shouldn't be ahead of him in the pecking order and that's Southgate problem once he has picked a player once he will stick with them weather they are playing well at the moment or not

5 hours ago, Hirsty The Blue 94 said:

Some absolute biased nonsense on here by the way.

This is a World Cup not a Mickey Mouse friendly competition handing out token 15 minute caps for fun. He was injured (which was extremely unfortunate for him) for the majority of the group stage and since then rightfully hasn't featured. The subs Southgate made yesterday were the natural back ups in all the positions that were replaced. Whether you agree or not Mount is ahead of Mads in the pecking order in the attacking midfielder role, and Foden, Saka, Rashford, Grealish and Sterling are ahead of him in the wide areas. So it makes sense to give them the last 20 minutes over Maddison, because if say Bellingham pulled up in training day before the game on Saturday it would be Mount starting in that position, so it's more important to keep him fresh rather than dish out sympathy caps. Same with Phillips and Dier coming on yesterday, the natural next men up in their positions so need to keep them ticking over with game time.

That's not to say I think Mason Mount is a better player and offers more than Maddison would because I really don't, but that's the current pecking order and isn't going to change midway through the biggest tournament in the world. 

Also kinda weird that people actively want England to lose on Saturday to be somehow validated for their opinion that Southgate is crap, lucky, boring etc. 

The point is they shouldn't be ahead of him in the pecking order and that's Southgate problem once he has picked a player once he will stick with them weather they are playing well at the moment or not

4 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Based on what lol

He'd have got game time against Iran/US, ahead of some of the subs that came on and then it'd have been up to him to prove himself and Wales was a game too soon. Very difficult for Southgate to now throw him in when we'll be playing the better teams and he hasn't seen how Madders can cope. 

2 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

based on what? did southgate come out and say he only took him because of media pressure or is it just foxestalk making things up based on absolutely nothing the fine English tradition of enumerative and eliminative induction to derive a conclusion as per usual?

Yeah. I'm procrastinating.

2 hours ago, mad biker said:

What a plonker you are, absolutely unbelievable that people have actually liked, and even thanked you for posting such utter faecal matter!

If you cannot conceive this is not only true, but a cast iron certainty, then you being perhaps a little club centric.  lol

How you can look at all the evidence and think that, Southgate picked a player that doesn't fit into his system, was down to anything other than media pressure I don't know. Andros Townsend is literally more suited to the way England play than Madders is. Would be dreamy if we could get a manager that could find room for Foden, Madders and Saka behind Kane.

• Like 1

People seem to have such short memories. I think that an underlying factor for why we underachieved under our previous golden generation was a general lack of cohesion. If you had two players, say player x and player y, and y had more natural ability, it does not mean that he should be nailed onto start over player x, experience and other factors matter, which I think Southgate understands. Trying to integrate Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard et al, never worked - so why would we attempt it with this current crop?

I have had doubts over Southgate and will admit to criticizing him in the past. However, he has been superb at successfully creating a system that is effective, now, this might not consist of the best players, but has proven to win matches in tournaments and create a good feeling in camp. As I said above, Maddison was unlucky to be injured and subsequently not feature, but there are so many club-centric, and simply absurd views on this thread.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

That’s what international managers do,they set up basics & priorities before a ball is kicked. Then the the flexability comes ,when situations change or problems arise.It was prudent & obvious to take Maddison,but Maddison’s situation meant

he just wasn’t in the mix in the first 3 group games…

So what’s Southgate’s priorities and logical actions….it definitely isnt panicking

because FT is demanding Maddison game time..

Against France,where does he get a look in,even if Saka, AND Foden,got injured

or a virus,only then from the bench…

Circumstance not Southgate has been Maddison’s if you like nemesis..

Everything running right,then that injury ( which we still don’t know if it’s still a problem), then present front 6 players form,plus subs.

Look IMO, I would choose Maddison over Mount,but my preferences don’t make

Southgate wrong or making incompetent descisions…He would be plain stupid

to throw Maddison in. He would be leggy and not game fit…

Unfortunately this Wcup has sailed by for him,but he will have belong to a successfull squad…He will play in games after the Wcup,maybe get in the Euros-squad,but his past & present injuries just came at the wrong time…

One inexperienced player doesn’t define a career of a manager or path of a squad…but a Bellingham,Saka,Foden could be defining both  Southgate’s tenure

and their own individual international career…

1 hour ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Nick picking…aren’t you..?

That’s what managers do,even rekindle past favourites.

So he,Southgate keeps (maybe) a little loyalty to Mount,but at present he’s dropped in the pecking order…So Southgate shows he can drop ‘em as well as

select them…Grealish isn’t what you call a set first choice,but a damn good sub

to bring on…It’s Southgate that has found a balance in using Rashford/Kane/Foden/Bellingham/Saka,and ( before him needing to go home)

Sterling…Then trusting & rekindling Henderson’s resurgence after other injuries

to players like Phillips…

24 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

People seem to have such short memories. I think that an underlying factor for why we underachieved under our previous golden generation was a general lack of cohesion. If you had two players, say player x and player y, and y had more natural ability, it does not mean that he should be nailed onto start over player x, experience and other factors matter, which I think Southgate understands. Trying to integrate Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard et al, never worked - so why would we attempt it with this current crop?

I have had doubts over Southgate and will admit to criticizing him in the past. However, he has been superb at successfully creating a system that is effective, now, this might not consist of the best players, but has proven to win matches in tournaments and create a good feeling in camp. As I said above, Maddison was unlucky to be injured and subsequently not feature, but there are so many club-centric, and simply absurd views on this thread.

In this tournament where England so far haven’t played anything like a top nation. The Nations league venture was awful.

A player as good as Maddison is, has proven to be, should be starting when fit, or at the very least getting lots of minutes to get up to speed. It is insulting to Maddison that the second best English player in the premier league over a 18 month period is being overlooked again and again.

38 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

This teams light years ahead of that so called golden generation. That team back then read off like a premier league fantasy football team on paper but looking back it it now with its rigid 4-4-2, no natural left sided player, right midfielder who didn't go past anyone etc it really isn't hard to see why they never did anything of note. 

Technically forward players now have so much more to their games and Bellingham can do so much more from the middle of the park than any English player I can remember. 

I actually this it's criminal how much the media are playing our squad down this time because of the love in with Southgate. Admittedly in the past we have over hyped shit teams but this has all been a case of lowering expectations so much despite having quite easily the best squad. 

• Like 1