Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

Fookin disgrace ...  no doubt someone will say I am  biased and "do you seriously believe Southgate wouldn't play him due to media pressure in taking him along" ..  (and probably get repped to death for posting it) ...    damn yes I do think that ! ..  Southgate is a petty tw@t and has cost us yet again.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Hang on, I thought it was 'common sense' that Southgate was just managing his injury earlier in the tournament and would play Maddison the first chance he got? And that thinking Southgate genuinely had zero interest in playing him was unreasonable?

If Maddison played for any other club and Southgate had thrown him in *last night* after he'd not played for a month partly due to injury, folk on here would be spitting feathers.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

If Maddison played for any other club and Southgate had thrown him in *last night* after he'd not played for a month partly due to injury, folk on here would be spitting feathers.

it’s not just leicester fans that are saying that though. over rashford? absolutely not in his current form. But over sterling (who wasn’t even with the squad preparing this week and is in horrid form) or grealish (not done anything of note for about a year)  I think it would be fair to want him on the pitch 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

it’s not just leicester fans that are saying that though. over rashford? absolutely not in his current form. But over sterling (who wasn’t even with the squad preparing this week and is in horrid form) or grealish (not done anything of note for about a year)  I think it would be fair to want him on the pitch 

Afraid to tell you that nobody outside of Leicester gave half a shit once he'd picked up the niggle. The Sterling sub last night was wrong but people adamant Maddison should've come on last night are insane.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Afraid to tell you that nobody outside of Leicester gave half a shit once he'd picked up the niggle. The Sterling sub last night was wrong but people adamant Maddison should've come on last night are insane.

The guys I was with at the pub were all begging for maddison, I was actually the one saying that it might not go well as he didn’t get the chance to shake off the ‘i’m playing for england’ giddiness that he should have done against wales. 

His form was fantastic and I think everyone wanted to see if it translated to an england shirt. I don’t think in that moment southgate was 100% incorrect not to play him, but there were definitely people with the opinion he should play … and that’s fair.  But let’s be honest, every pub in the land had different opinions on which players should be used in those moments. 

The manager made a call, it didn’t come off. But personally, as much as i love maddy, I also have seen how he reacts for leicester when we are really chasing a game and his performances sometimes suffer. How many last 10minute goals or assists has he actually produced? 

Maybe someone will prove me wrong but i think he performs better without pressure 🤷‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

The guys I was with at the pub were all begging for maddison, I was actually the one saying that it might not go well as he didn’t get the chance to shake off the ‘i’m playing for england’ giddiness that he should have done against wales. 

His form was fantastic and I think everyone wanted to see if it translated to an england shirt. I don’t think in that moment southgate was 100% incorrect not to play him, but there were definitely people with the opinion he should play … and that’s fair.  But let’s be honest, every pub in the land had different opinions on which players should be used in those moments. 

The manager made a call, it didn’t come off. But personally, as much as i love maddy, I also have seen how he reacts for leicester when we are really chasing a game and his performances sometimes suffer. How many last 10minute goals or assists has he actually produced? 

Maybe someone will prove me wrong but i think he performs better without pressure 🤷‍♂️ 

I agree that the window for him to come on was when we were cruising against Wales, but last night wasn't the time at all. If he hadn't played in a month it's not certain his form translates at the click of a finger (and Rashford actually did alright by and large).

• Like 2

Thoroughly frustrating for me. Yes Saka was good, yes Bellingham and Foden, yes Rashford, Mount & Sterling are all good players. but it was 1 each and we were in the ascendency, without forcing Lloris to make a decent save (bar 1) That to me was the time to play your cards, stick Grealish and Madders on to mix things up. 

Even more so when we went 2-1 down. 

At 2-1 down we had nothing to loose, might as well get beaten 4-1, put AA on for his ability to cross a ball.

AA, Maddison, Grealish can all offer something the others can't and we needed that last night.

For all our endeavour, aggression and good play, we didn't really break them down. We needed something different as they were there for the taking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

I’m confident he would’ve scored from the free kick Rashford choked on.

Scoring from a direct kick is barely over a 10% chance. Converting a penalty however is damn near 80%. The choker is named Harry Kane. Anyone talking about Madders or Rashford is ignoring fundamentals. Fundamentals win football matches, not highlight goals.

Edited by NewEnglandFox

33 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

Scoring from a direct kick is barely over a 10% chance. Converting a penalty however is damn near 80%. The choker is named Harry Kane. Anyone talking about Madders or Rashford is ignoring fundamentals. Fundamentals win football matches, not highlight goals.

That is why Southgate should go, just clueless 

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Didn't seem to make much difference when he had 2 months off from May to July, hit the ground running all season. His form since October 2021 is just obscene.

He's in the top 5 best attacking midfielders in the world now IMO, an absolute travesty he's had to be a glorified cheerleader all month. 

In a system he's familiar with... With players he's familiar with?

I'm not disputing his quality by the way I just think a lot of folk are looking at this through a blue tinted lens.

• Like 1

JM absolutely should have played as much as possible if he was fit.

JM has been our star player for almost 2 years and has proven his quality. Southgate should have made a system which gets his two best players, Kane and JM in the starting team.

Players like Saka, Rashford, Mount, Sterling and Foden are good players but they’re no where near as integral to their clubs as JM has been for us.

Its insulting JM was overlooked so badly.

21 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Do you know what, I don’t think he should’ve played and Southgate got things largely spot on this WC. 

I don’t think any other side leaves such a player out when needing a goal. He is highly creative and also an excellent free kick taker 

Edited by foxes_rule1978