Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Instead of which club?

People getting way ahead of themselves with Newcastle.

Any of Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool in a given year.  They have all shown lack of consistency - as will Newcastle no doubt.

Edited by Jon the Hat

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

It's been half a season lol

It's been a year. Last year they balanced the ship and brought in Dan Ashworth and Eddie Howe. They didn't go spunking money on big reputations on their way down.

This year they've signed intelligently again, not gone overboard. All signs point to a club that not only has ridiculous spending power, but actually switched on people running the show. Which means they will likely skip the 3/4 years where a team is crapper than they should be and having to get rid of tonnes of dead wood that they signed.

As I say, my own opinion on the matter. I'd love to hear other peoples logic who don't rate what they're doing though. I'm pretty sure it'll be based on what other cubs have done in the past rather than looking at the situation on it's own merits. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It's been a year. Last year they balanced the ship and brought in Dan Ashworth and Eddie Howe. They didn't go spunking money on big reputations on their way down.

This year they've signed intelligently again, not gone overboard. All signs point to a club that not only has ridiculous spending power, but actually switched on people running the show. Which means they will likely skip the 3/4 years where a team is crapper than they should be and having to get rid of tonnes of dead wood that they signed.

As I say, my own opinion on the matter. I'd love to hear other peoples logic who don't rate what they're doing though. I'm pretty sure it'll be based on what other cubs have done in the past rather than looking at the situation on it's own merits. 

I rate it but I'll also judge with the type of player they bring in over the next few seasons, plus when they do win nothing the likes of Bruno will be off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I rate it but I'll also judge with the type of player they bring in over the next few seasons, plus when they do win nothing the likes of Bruno will be off.

Signing Madders will go a long way to them pushing 70+ season a point mark :D

Their main issue atm is they've got absolutely no squad depth. It'll take 2 or 3 seasons to clear that dead wood that's been accumulated. So I think a lot of their success this season and next will be based firmly on how many injuries they manage to avoid. Juggling Europe and domestic will be a challenge for a couple of years if they qualify this year.

If I'm Madders I fancy Newcastle to be finishing higher than Leicester for the forseeable future whilst challenging for a top 4 spot with 6 other teams, it'll also be the only team of those 7 where he would be a key player. 

I can't think of one team from the big 6 that would be an intelligent move for Madders, he either doesn't suit the managers philosophy or he'll be a bit part player. The only club perhaps worth being a bit part player at is Man City and I just don't think he fits there at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

You're bang on the money here. They'll be challenging at the top in the next 2 years. I was saying this when they got brought that they'll be bigger and better than us in a couple seasons and here we are. 

Nothing to be ashamed of on our side of things though, they have a rich nation state backing them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2022 at 21:11, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

if he can’t get a sniff for england whilst playing out his skin for leicester, he’ll be thinking he needs to be somewhere else 

I agree he is off but for a different reason, the England aquad has proven time and time again a tapping up ground.

Many think its media pressure that got him in the squad, I think it was requested by the club he is about to be sold to.

Might not be in January, but will be by the summer.

Whats funny is everyone acts surprised when it happens like we havent seen it before our players break into England squad and they either leave or at least come back having considered an offer from another club.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 13/12/2022 at 19:06, Tommy G said:

They are chasing the top 4 now - give it another season of investment they will probably be there. Newcastle will win the league in the next 5 seasons.  

On 13/12/2022 at 20:22, Samilktray said:

Not a chance Newcastle win the league in the next 5 years 

Neither of these statements are true.

What is 100% true is that Newcastle have overtaken us and Maddison will go there if he doesn't get a better offer. For the foreseeable future we've had our day in the sun and we'll become a mid table team at the very best. This time next year we'll have lost Tielemans and Maddison and both will be replaced by inferior players.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Neither of these statements are true.

What is 100% true is that Newcastle have overtaken us and Maddison will go there if he doesn't get a better offer. For the foreseeable future we've had our day in the sun and we'll become a mid table team at the very best. This time next year we'll have lost Tielemans and Maddison and both will be replaced by inferior players.

They are 3rd and 5 points clear of 5th taking into account goal difference, won 5 on the spin. They are most definitely chasing top 4, in fact are in the top 4 currently. Whether you like it or not it's happening. They will probably need to win 10 or 11 out of their remaining 23 games to get top 4 - quite achievable, given SJP is now pretty much a fortress. Nonsense to discount them from top 4 this season. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

They are 3rd and 5 points clear of 5th taking into account goal difference, won 5 on the spin. They are most definitely chasing top 4, in fact are in the top 4 currently. Whether you like it or not it's happening. They will probably need to win 10 or 11 out of their remaining 23 games to get top 4 - quite achievable, given SJP is now pretty much a fortress. Nonsense to discount them from top 4 this season. 

I'm not discounting Newcastle, you said they would win the title in five years like it's a given, it clearly isn't with Pep's Man City about and other huge clubs currently ahead of Newcastle.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What Newcastle have so far done is use their wealth wisely, how often have we seen teams waste vast amounts of money on players that don't make an impact? See Everton and Aston Villa in recent years.

Newcastle have actually been more modest than I thought they would and a lot of the signings they have made have been brilliant, at the same time as very mediocre players such as Almiron and Joelinton have hit the form of their lives. 

It's obviously far too early to reliably predict what they will go on to achieve but at the minute the seem to have a plan that's working.

I think going from low end of the table to in around 10th to 6th isn't that difficult we a bit of common sense using us and West Ham as a yard stick. Stay there and going from 6th to top 4 and beyond is the acid test.

It took Man City 4 seasons spending the Abu Dhabi United money to win the league, I think Newcastle are going to find it harder then that. 

Have they been that modest, they have spent 230m in two transfer windows, more then we have spent in 4 seasons (8 windows) 

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think going from low end of the table to in around 10th to 6th isn't that difficult we a bit of common sense using us and West Ham as a yard stick. Stay there and going from 6th to top 4 and beyond is the acid test.

It took Man City 4 seasons spending the Abu Dhabi United money to win the league, I think Newcastle are going to find it harder then that. 

Have they been that modest, they have spent 230m in two transfer windows, more then we have spent in 4 seasons (8 windows) 

Modest in the sense they are the richest club in the world now. Of that £230m, the majority of the signings have made an impact or you'd back them to when back from injury (Isak).

How often do Everton, Villa, Man Utd, Chelsea blow £100m in a year and don't make any tangible difference? 

Newcastle's form since January 2022 through to the break has been top 4 I believe, many clubs have tried to throw money at it and not made much in road. We are the outlier and I suppose West Ham to an extent, who have spent some significant money during that time too. As I say, it's not guaranteed and there have been plenty said about Newcastle and them seemingly not having a clue and will just throw money at it with no real sustained plan, but so far they've surprised me.

I hope they don't succeed may I add. I hope we absolutely annihilate them and if they want Maddison then pay the £100m or so that he is worth.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Modest in the sense they are the richest club in the world now. Of that £230m, the majority of the signings have made an impact or you'd back them to when back from injury (Isak).

How often do Everton, Villa, Man Utd, Chelsea blow £100m in a year and don't make any tangible difference? 

Its a fair point but I think it easier when you are coming from a lower starting point as I said there next jump is harder and like ourselves and other have found difficult to maintain 

Newcastle's form since January 2022 through to the break has been top 4 I believe, many clubs have tried to throw money at it and not made much in road. We are the outlier and I suppose West Ham to an extent, who have spent some significant money during that time too. As I say, it's not guaranteed and there have been plenty said about Newcastle and them seemingly not having a clue and will just throw money at it with no real sustained plan, but so far they've surprised me.

They have had a measured approach whether that stems from the owners or Howe and Dan Ashworth I don't know, the challenge will be how they react to a slow down in progress. 

I hope they don't succeed may I add. I hope we absolutely annihilate them and if they want Maddison then pay the £100m or so that he is worth.

I'm not sure Maddison goes there, if we are willing to sell he will have a decent amount of suitors.

If I was Maddison I'd want a move to a Big 6 side if I was confident of getting decent game time. You're going to double your wage, have a much greater chance of silverware and probably a better chance of England caps. 

If I wasn't confident of significant game time, then Newcastle is a no-brainer surely? They'll still double your wage. They've got much greater chance of silverware/finishing higher than Leicester over the next 3-5 years. Maddison goes there and he's the big fish in a small pond (compared to being one of many great players at a Big 6 side). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Its a fair point but I think it easier when you are coming from a lower starting point as I said there next jump is harder and like ourselves and other have found difficult to maintain 

They have had a measured approach whether that stems from the owners or Howe and Dan Ashworth I don't know, the challenge will be how they react to a slow down in progress. 

I'm not sure Maddison goes there, if we are willing to sell he will have a decent amount of suitors.

well believe it or not, there was actually a big buzz about howe losing his job … this season. Early on where they drew a few games they’d like to win (i want to say before man city) they genuinely had people calling for it. 

if that’s their attitude then the reaction to any significant slump will likely be drastic. I think howe might find himself in a dont win in 3 games and youre gone job. 

Edited by Lambert09

I’m reserving judgement on Newcastle until

after March. This pause in the winter schedule is gonna affect teams in wildly different ways. For us I hope the team is not affected and can kick on from where they left it. Newcastle could start slow it’s very possible. We shall see after a few weeks. They could slum 2nd half of the season.

12 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

When you get offered a massive pay increase , you usually take it. It is a short career.

Short career yes...... But if they average 30k a week for 15 years they still earn a pretax 23m..... 

Hardly buying smart price beans are they, so I don't see that as a valid argument

4 hours ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Short career yes...... But if they average 30k a week for 15 years they still earn a pretax 23m..... 

Hardly buying smart price beans are they, so I don't see that as a valid argument

Your perspective will always change with that sort of stuff. For one, all your colleagues are also all chasing the bag, so there is lifestyle pressure from that end. The difference between 30k and 100k is flying business class for the rest of your life and several holiday homes, this sort of thing means a lot to people when it suddenly becomes an achievable goal in life. 

It's easy for you or I to say we'd not move because our expectations in life are so much lower. I'd be happy to just retire early with enough money to live comfortably. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/12/2022 at 20:53, Chrysalis said:

I agree he is off but for a different reason, the England aquad has proven time and time again a tapping up ground.

Many think its media pressure that got him in the squad, I think it was requested by the club he is about to be sold to.

Might not be in January, but will be by the summer.

Whats funny is everyone acts surprised when it happens like we havent seen it before our players break into England squad and they either leave or at least come back having considered an offer from another club.

That makes no sense… the buying club will pay more for an england international. literally allows us to add on 20m 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Lambert09

Can't see maddison going to Newcastle. Wouldnt be much more than a sideways step at the moment in my opinion, despite their performance over the last 6 months. He will want one of the big six to strengthen his England credentials.

If Maddison is available in the summer which we all assume he will be as won't sign a contract. Then I would say there will be bigger sides in for him - maybe even from the foreign leagues where his game would be well suited.