Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

32 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20780368/newcastle-leicester-offered-james-maddison-transfer-january/

MAD-PIE 

Newcastle ‘set to be offered James Maddison transfer in January’ after failing in £50m summer pursuit

Can you honestly see this?

1. We're a team flirting with relegation and hardly likely to relinquish our best player. 

2. Wait until summer and I'd suggest there'll interest from a number of sources.

• Like 3

Guest Col city fan
10 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

I don't really get the Newcastle love-in on here. Yes they've spent some money and bought relatively well, but people are forgetting the absolute dross they had previously. I'd say the player's they've brought in are of the quality that the likes of ourselves and West Ham possess and we've both shown that it's possible to be in and around anywhere between 4th to 8th over the past few seasons so long as you have a few players who are above average. As such it's relatively easy to make big strides when you're very poor in the first place but maintaining that level of progress year on year is virtually impossible so no one should be getting carried away. 

Furthermore you also have to remember that Mike Ashley's model of trying to run a PL football club on a very tight budget has given them significant headroom to spend the levels of cash that they have since the takeover but that won't last forever and they'll be at a point soon where they'll have to reign it in to keep within FFP and the UEFA sustainability rules. Whilst they have a relatively decent fan base on Tyneside their appeal beyond the North East is pretty limited and they're a million miles from the global brand's that the established Top 6 are, especially when you factor in that they will inevitably face a degree of backlash in some key markets due to their links to Saudi Arabia. 

As we know full well ourselves along with many other clubs in this league, it doesn't really matter how much money your owner has in the bank, if you don't have the commercial revenue streams to sustain the spending then whilst you may flirt with disrupting the top 6 for a season or two eventually those clubs just go up a gear in order to restore their place in the pecking order. 

They may in principle be the richest club the world but all the top teams have deep pockets too, whilst all of the clubs they aspire to compete with have rich histories and reputational pulling power. 

Finally, Newcastle as a City may well be a very good playground for a young single man with plenty of money in his back pocket but as soon as you start introducing players wives and partners who expect a particular lifestyle into the equation then suddenly Newcastle really isn't so attractive versus the likes of London and Manchester. 

I may well be proven wrong with them going on to displace one of the existing top 6 and fair play to them if that proves to be the case. However, I'm not convinced that the cabal that exists at the current time are just going to roll over and let the new kid on the block stroll in on the party unchallenged, so let's see what happens once others genuinely start to feel threatened. 

I’m pretty much the opposite re Newcastle. I think they’d be an amazing club to play for at the moment.

Really good manager, home gates of 50/60k, a club in development. 
I love Newcastle and the NE too. Amazing countryside, great night life, yet not as mad as London and Manchester. Compare this to the shite-hole that Leicester has become. In terms of the City I mean. There’s no comparison.

Whether right or not, playing for Newcastle at present must be a very exciting time for any footballer.

Edited by Col city fan

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I’m pretty much the opposite re Newcastle. I think they’d be an amazing club to play for at the moment.

I love Newcastle and the NE too. Amazing countryside, great night life, yet not as mad as London and Manchester. Compare this to the shite-hole that Leicester has become. In terms of the City I mean. There’s no comparison.

Whether right or not, playing for Newcastle at present must be a very exciting time for any footballer.

Ultimately it'll be down to what wages Newcastle'll be offering. You're right about it being an extremely pleasant area and I reckon Geordie fans'll be second-to-none in supporting players, team and club - after all, they've endured years of Ashley's antics and still kept the faith.

I'd think it would be an excellent place to keep yer WAG out of bother, although they mostly live via their smartphones anyway.

It will be v. interesting to monitor what happens at St. James's Park over the next few years. 

16 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Can you honestly see this?

1. We're a team flirting with relegation and hardly likely to relinquish our best player. 

2. Wait until summer and I'd suggest there'll interest from a number of sources.

Plus we'll be working very hard to try and convince him to stay. We'll let him go very reluctantly.

• Like 2

Just because we have had to tighten our belts and had a poor start doesn't mean our long term objectives have changed.

It will still be to disrupt the top 6 and get in Europe.

We have never sold one of top players cheap, even with YT with 1 year left in the summer we had no intention of letting him go cheaply. 

I'd expect the board to want a Mahrez size fee for Jimmy with the majority up front.

Not sure Newcastle have as much flexibility with FFP to build to quickly as Man City did.

Next summer we'll free up a considerable amount of salary headroom with departing players. The incoming ones (I believe BR is looking for 3/4 quality ones I.e. LB/DM/RW/CB) should leave sufficient headroom for a big push for a new contract for madders pushing £200k p/w on a 6 year deal imo. I think he'd do it for the club even if he moves on for a sizeable fee or he becomes a city legend and gets rich doing it anyway. 

7 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Love it up there, but im not sure there is that much draw for a 20 something high profile foorballer. Not many top end places for multi millionaires, compared to London or even Manchester/ Chesire

I'm veering off topic here, but this notion about cities being appealing/unappealing for young millionaires is woefully outdated. Same as the suggestions that the ''wife' demands some kinda elite City so she can clothes shop at Gucci, Luis Vuitton then pick up dinner from Harrods food hall 

Players' time is heavily structured. They train, they travel, they play, they rest at home. Plus add on sponsor promo work, media work and increasingly social media 'work'.  That's about it. When they do have a window of free time, they've lined up private driver to whisk them off to the airport for a trip to the states, Dubai, Ibiza etc etc for elite level international partying. 

I think a lot of us have this 1990s image of players heading out after a match into Newcastle / Leeds / Liverpool city centres for a few jars at Yates wine lodge and pull birds at the local meat market club

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Just because we have had to tighten our belts and had a poor start doesn't mean our long term objectives have changed.

It will still be to disrupt the top 6 and get in Europe.

We have never sold one of top players cheap, even with YT with 1 year left in the summer we had no intention of letting him go cheaply. 

I'd expect the board to want a Mahrez size fee for Jimmy with the majority up front.

Not sure Newcastle have as much flexibility with FFP to build to quickly as Man City did.

mahrez size? either I'm deluded, or the price grealish and coutinho went for are a benchmark of where we should be aiming. 

8 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

Now the world cup is over I would expect the big 6 to really push for the European places which should see Newcastle drop out, they have had a good run but we have seen this before from teams and after Christmas they drop off.

They will finish outside the top 6 imo.

I nominate this for funniest post of the year @mods

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm veering off topic here, but this notion about cities being appealing/unappealing for young millionaires is woefully outdated. Same as the suggestions that the ''wife' demands some kinda elite City so she can clothes shop at Gucci, Luis Vuitton then pick up dinner from Harrods food hall 

Players' time is heavily structured. They train, they travel, they play, they rest at home. Plus add on sponsor promo work, media work and increasingly social media 'work'.  That's about it. When they do have a window of free time, they've lined up private driver to whisk them off to the airport for a trip to the states, Dubai, Ibiza etc etc for elite level international partying. 

I think a lot of us have this 1990s image of players heading out after a match into Newcastle / Leeds / Liverpool city centres for a few jars at Yates wine lodge and pull birds at the local meat market club

That ran well into the 00’s to be fair but you are correct.

And even if you weren’t Leicester as a city wouldn’t have much pull over any player capable of playing top level football. Not exactly Monaco is it.