Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

He didn't. He signed for us as we, and I remember the quote from someone at Norwich or saints, 'blew Southampton out of the water' with an offer. 

He came for money and career progression,.like most players would 

Bang on. He was literally just about to sign for Southampton before we ‘nearly’ doubled their offer to him 

The thing that strikes me with Maddison and any move to Newcastle is it limits his options.

He is good enough to play for a top CL team, if he goes Newcastle he's not going to find it easy to leave there for someone else.

There is no guarantee he see success at Newcastle, it took Man City 4 season to win the league. In 4 seasons he's 30.

If it was a Man C, Liverpool I think he would be gone, but I'm not sure Newcastle is the same.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

If it was a Man C, Liverpool I think he would be gone, but I'm not sure Newcastle is the same.

...and if it boils down to us or them? Which way do you jump then?

Maybe the Newcastle boat won't come in, but it'd make no difference if he's not on it (sorry, over extending my metaphor!) Point is, you call it as you see it at a given point in time. Bird in the hand etc. If Newcastle do come in with a decent offer then it's decision time. Tbh, I don't think that we're looking the better proposition right at this moment. But let's see how this one plays out. 

8 minutes ago, taupe said:

I think that really is the salient issue. Sure, money's a factor (more so at the tail end of your career, when you're looking for those final pay cheques) but it's part of a package. As I said, Newcastle are an attractive proposition at the moment (whatever one might think of them morally/ethically) and they look like they'll be in Europe next season - on the bigger stage. As a young player, with the bigger stage on offer, what's not to like? That's what it's about innit?

That's where we differ. Newcastle don't offer any major career progression on us in these next 3 or 4 years - and, tied to a 5 year deal - that's it. Never played for a 'big club', a la Shearer. 

The lad has big club written all over him. The skill, the charisma, the handling of TV media, his social media presence. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

The lad has big club written all over him. The skill, the charisma, the handling of TV media, his social media presence. 

Agreed, and I can't see that the majority of clubs would be of interest to him - but if they don't come in for him? For whatever reason. What does he then do? Sign a one year extension and play a waiting game? Hope Youri does the same? Hope that we find some funds to get "fresh" players in? That's the question for me. Not one of his talent nor of who would be a more suitable club for him, but what does he do if there's an offer on the table? If he has to weigh things up as they stand at that point.

How 'tied' would he be to Newcastle in reality? If Maddison backs himself to succeed, then a 'bg club' could pluck him from Newcastle obscurity just as easily as from us. For me, it's just not a given that he stays should an offer come in.

53 minutes ago, taupe said:

...and if it boils down to us or them? Which way do you jump then?

Maybe the Newcastle boat won't come in, but it'd make no difference if he's not on it (sorry, over extending my metaphor!) Point is, you call it as you see it at a given point in time. Bird in the hand etc. If Newcastle do come in with a decent offer then it's decision time. Tbh, I don't think that we're looking the better proposition right at this moment. But let's see how this one plays out. 

I think we would be willing to pay him big money, at the point he is becoming our new figure head as Vardy come to the twilight of his career.

We have in the pasted paid Vardy and Kasper big 6 club money.

I think his decision will be football based, at current Newcastle have been in the top 4-6 for 4 months but done nothing yet, we did it for 2 seasons and a FA Cup but a 12 month blip and every seems to think our standing has plummeted . As Everton have showed spending 500m is no guarantee of success.

I can't see him moving in January, but Newcastle would be a different proposition if they have secured CL footy. 

It will boil down to what the club are saying behind closed doors and our ambitions and whether he still believe they match his own.

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think we would be willing to pay him big money, at the point he is becoming our new figure head as Vardy come to the twilight of his career.

We have in the pasted paid Vardy and Kasper big 6 club money.

I think his decision will be football based, at current Newcastle have been in the top 4-6 for 4 months but done nothing yet, we did it for 2 seasons and a FA Cup but a 12 month blip and every seems to think our standing has plummeted . As Everton have showed spending 500m is no guarantee of success.

I can't see him moving in January, but Newcastle would be a different proposition if they have secured CL footy. 

It will boil down to what the club are saying behind closed doors and our ambitions and whether he still believe they match his own.

There are variations in big six wages too

spurs won’t pay him much more than we would.  Liverpool a level higher around 170k. The others would easily chuck £200+ per week at him.  

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

There are variations in big six wages too

spurs won’t pay him much more than we would.  Liverpool a level higher around 170k. The others would easily chuck £200+ per week at him.  

Yes I know, I'm just not sure he goes to Newcastle just for wages at this point of his career.

Man C, Liverpool I think he would gone without a shadow of a doubt as they guarantee trophies and maybe Chelsea. Man U would be a massive draw for him with Beckham as his Idol.

I am not sure he would be as keen on Spurs or Newcastle.

1 hour ago, alanf0x said:

Through a mutual friend that was with him during the World Cup. He would jump at any of those clubs now. Just pointing out that those saying he wouldn’t because of being away from the family due to distance is incorrect. He is ready to make the next step up in his career and we wouldn’t stand in his way

We're in trouble here guys.

Alan's best friend who is also Maddison's best friend and was with him throughout the world cup and definitely told him that he'd jump at the chance to join one of the big clubs in the North.

Alan's best friend then got straight in touch with Alan so he could let us know on here, we should be honoured. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Yes I know, I'm just not sure he goes to Newcastle just for wages at this point of his career.

Man C, Liverpool I think he would gone without a shadow of a doubt as they guarantee trophies and maybe Chelsea. Man U would be a massive draw for him with Beckham as his Idol.

I am not sure he would be as keen on Spurs or Newcastle.

Newcastle would surprise me as they won’t pay him anything like the others - but it we have to sell him and they are the only offer on the table then I think he probably sees out his contract if it’s only got a year to run. 

But I’d be surprised if none of the six make an offer for him - depends what we’re asking I suppose. presumably the tielemans experience will have educated us ! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Alan's best friend who is also Maddison's best friend and was with him throughout the world cup and definitely told him that he'd jump at the chance to join one of the big clubs in the North.

Alan's best friend then got straight in touch with Alan so he could let us know on here, we should be honoured. 

not really an outlandish statement

36 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Alan's original statement said he'd "jump at the chance" to go to either Manchester club, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal. 

I don't think you'd need to be Alan, or his friend, to assume that this would be the case. I think almost any of our players would go in these circumstances (Vardy excepted). 

The second part of the statement was: "Spurs or Newcastle - dependent upon the package" - Again I think realistically that these teams might be a bigger draw than us - even if it pains me to say it. 

Alan and his friend (whether in the know or not) are probably only confirming what we'd likely deduce for ourselves. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Alan's original statement said he'd "jump at the chance" to go to either Manchester club, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal. 

I don't think you'd need to be Alan, or his friend, to assume that this would be the case. I think almost any of our players would go in these circumstances (Vardy excepted). 

The second part of the statement was: "Spurs or Newcastle - dependent upon the package" - Again I think realistically that these teams might be a bigger draw than us - even if it pains me to say it. 

Alan and his friend (whether in the know or not) are probably only confirming what we'd likely deduce for ourselves. 

If you somehow can't tell I'm being sarcastic or you believe that Alan and Maddisons' friend exists then god help you.

Maddison with one year left will have the pick of any top club in this country. Wouldnt surprise me even if Man City came in for him tbh judging by their recent signings of Grealish and Phillips. He is not going Newcastle United unless they finish top 4 and nobody else is interested 🤣

Edited by South Shire Fox

26 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

If you somehow can't tell I'm being sarcastic or you believe that Alan and Maddisons' friend exists then god help you.

I don’t think many will get what your post was about really. Blame it on the Milton Keynes beer. Take some paracetamol, drink lots of water and hopefully your day gets better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

If Newcastle come in for him, so will others. He’s too good for them at this point. 

If Newcastle want him and want to build a team around him then he will go.  They can and will offer far more than we can and he will walk into a team that will be going places.  We all need to face reality.  Maddison is not a Leicester fan.

2 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

If Newcastle want him and want to build a team around him then he will go.  They can and will offer far more than we can and he will walk into a team that will be going places.  We all need to face reality.  Maddison is not a Leicester fan.

Agreed. But this whole project Newcastle thing would still be a big gamble come the end of this season. 

Likewise its a big risk to go to a big six club and face possibly just being another player. 

I said it in another thread but it's so sad we are where we are because if we still had Europe ans/or were still competing for top 4, being the main player for us vs just another player for a big club would be a genuine choice to be made. 

As it stands its a no brainer for him to move. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

Don't care either way. 

What I was saying is that whether Alan's friend or even Alan exist in this, or any other, universe his intervention was rather a statement of the obvious. 

You seem a bit touchy - are you ok? 

• Haha 1

Maddison has won a major trophy so he can afford to take a gamble and go to Man Utd, Spurs or Newcastle and possibly not win another trophy during the rest of his career. He'll get £250k a week though and he probably has now outgrown us. We are on the decline and he is one of the best attacking midfielders in the world.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Maddison has won a major trophy so he can afford to take a gamble and go to Man Utd, Spurs or Newcastle and possibly not win another trophy during the rest of his career. He'll get £250k a week though and he probably has now outgrown us. We are on the decline and he is one of the best attacking midfielders in the world.

Merry Christmas 

• Haha 1