Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

On 21/12/2022 at 17:24, lee7 said:

Maddison will go Newcastle all day long. 

It's obvious they are a team heading in the right direction and sooner rather than later they will start to win trophies. 

The wage increase would be massive, they are well supported and they have a good manager. The list goes on...i think for most players now they would be an attractive option.

Maddison always comes across as a knowledgeable when it comes to football. He won't go to Newcastle. He's 26, in his prime/coming into his prime, his time now is to move to a side winning trophies not "sooner rather than later they will start to win trophies".

Also lets see what the end of the season brings. Long time yet. I'm still convinced Newcastle will drop out of the top 4 altogether. They had a good run prior to the World Cup but they haven't beaten a good side yet (and, no, I'm not counting either Spurs or Chelsea as good sides).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Don't personally think he's athletic enough for a Klopp midfield but who knows. 

Think he'd be excellent under Ten Hag though.

I think his work rate and stamina has improved a lot...No chance for Youri matching the work rate of a Klopp, Pep or Arteta midfield though

On 21/12/2022 at 16:37, Ric Flair said:

Maddison has won a major trophy so he can afford to take a gamble and go to Man Utd, Spurs or Newcastle and possibly not win another trophy during the rest of his career. He'll get £250k a week though and he probably has now outgrown us. We are on the decline and he is one of the best attacking midfielders in the world.

I'd argue that we are not on the decline we had a slump that lasted 18 months. However our form over the last 8 games ish has shown how we can play and how good our team is and I am fairly confident that this will show through the rest of the season and we will almost certainly get top half and be pushing for a europa league place. 

2 hours ago, taupe said:

Nub of it for me, without disrespect to Newcastle. The Mahrez comparison is a useful one; Riyad has definitely become a better player since leaving us and that is, in no small measure and with no disrespect to us, due to where he went.

Don't necessarily disagree but it did take quite a bit of time and spent a year hardly playing and a year being a bit part player before he really got to make his mark there

14 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

I'd argue that we are not on the decline we had a slump that lasted 18 months. However our form over the last 8 games ish has shown how we can play and how good our team is and I am fairly confident that this will show through the rest of the season and we will almost certainly get top half and be pushing for a europa league place. 

I'd counter that by saying it's going to be extremely difficult to rebuild a squad when we have financial issues and players worth £50m + walking away on a free at the same time. We need to perform miracles and although we've proven we can do it before, I think we are now hindered too much.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Don't necessarily disagree but it did take quite a bit of time and spent a year hardly playing and a year being a bit part player before he really got to make his mark there

You don't disagree at all! I hadn't meant to imply that it was an immediate process. The point was more about the environment for progression. Pep obviously saw that Mahrez had what it took but knew there was some polishing to do. I think the same is true of Madders; he will add to his game if he goes to the 'right' club. 

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Maddison always comes across as a knowledgeable when it comes to football. He won't go to Newcastle. He's 26, in his prime/coming into his prime, his time now is to move to a side winning trophies not "sooner rather than later they will start to win trophies".

Also lets see what the end of the season brings. Long time yet. I'm still convinced Newcastle will drop out of the top 4 altogether. They had a good run prior to the World Cup but they haven't beaten a good side yet (and, no, I'm not counting either Spurs or Chelsea as good sides).

By that logic they wouldn't need to beat good sides to stay in the top 4.

18 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

By that logic they wouldn't need to beat good sides to stay in the top 4.

Not really, there's only been 14 games played. Not even halfway through the season yet. They haven't even played Arsenal, for example. Not been to Manchester City yet either, I know they bored Old Trafford to death like they tried to Liverpool.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd counter that by saying it's going to be extremely difficult to rebuild a squad when we have financial issues and players worth £50m + walking away on a free at the same time. We need to perform miracles and although we've proven we can do it before, I think we are now hindered too much.

Yes that makes sense. Not sure how many we would let go on a free though. I think we will try to shift soyuncu, vesterguarrd possibly perez in january. Tilemans is the only one that we could have got big money for that could realistically go on a free I think. If maddison doesn't sign a new contract I think we will sell him in the summer and get £50-70 million for him no way we let an asset like that go for free so I think there will be less leaving on a free than maybe mentioned previously which will also free up some big wages which is apparently our main issue. 

There are reports of us planning to spend fairly well this January which suggests (if it happens) we are not quite in the really bad financial situation some people seem to think we are so I think we will be fine and settle into a sort of Everton from 10 years ago position of top half occasionally challanging for europa and champions league places and sit there for a while. 

IF the stadium expansion plan works and all the hotel and shopping areas increase our turnover we might then in 5-10 years be able to push onto that next stage. I don't see us in decline although we probably will have a period of sitting still without huge progression

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

All I'd say to that is that with Tielemans out of the equation then maddison is our only £50m player left. If we lose him, our last star player, then the attraction of players to want to come to play here will be very limited.

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

This is looking at it wrong, IMO. 

It's not whether Newcastle are a bigger prospect than us, it's whether he could do better. 

He's definitely leaving there's no doubt about that. But Man City just bought two objectively, statistically inferior English midfielders for a combined 150m and have signalled their intent to add more British names, Eriksen is a temporary measure at United, Chelsea are desperate for creativity, Arsenal have been a suitor for a while and are ahead of Newcastle in their squad build and that's without looking abroad. 

Maddison's form over the last eighteen odd months has been absolutely phenomenal, he's putting up easily Top Four numbers and just because his national manager is overlooking him it doesn't mean scouts from Champions League clubs are. 

He should really be aiming a lot higher than Newcastle given that he's coming in to his prime and is likely to peak during his next contract. He's more of a match winner now than Mahrez was when he left us and I don't mean that as any slight against Riyad. 

There's a near criminal trend on Foxestalk to under appreciate our own talent. I genuinely don't think half the people in here appreciate at times just how good Madders is. 

Meanwhile, Newcastle are probably four or five years away - at least - from competing for the title by which time Madders will have probably wasted most of his best years being part of their "journey." 

I agree I definitely think he could do better but if they put a big money offer to us and offer to double his wages I think he’ll find that hard to turn down especially if they stay in the form they are in. 

7 hours ago, Fox92 said:

They’ve been bang in form since last January if I recall correctly.

8 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Bruno for Newcastle gets lauded as World Class. Maddison is better than him, absolutely no doubt about it; they’re just flavour of the month.

100% if Maddison was at any ‘top 4/6’ club or Newcastle, the media praise of him would be through the roof. We’re just not fashionable and don’t sell papers/clicks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/12/2022 at 14:48, Fox92 said:

Not really, there's only been 14 games played. Not even halfway through the season yet. They haven't even played Arsenal, for example. Not been to Manchester City yet either, I know they bored Old Trafford to death like they tried to Liverpool.

So they might finish 3rd or 4th! lol

Newcastle is about right, he's not good enough for Man City or Liverpool. Man U and Arsenal don't need him. Chelsea prefer Mount. Then you're into Newcastle , Spurs, us, etc. Sadly I can see it being Spurs. Which makes me feel poorly. I'd probably prefer Newcastle to that 

• Like 1