Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

3 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

I don’t think the ‘pay him more’ argument works when we’re so close to FFP limits. Let alone the message it sends to other players (current and future). 

FFP aside… the message it actually sends is that you perform well week in week out and carry the team you will be rewarded.

its not as if its an unknown quality from abroad.

literally in this situation no player could argue that he doesnt deserve it and resent him.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It’s not going to make a difference though is it? 

Other clubs can offer him more. Ultimately I don’t think we can make the same mistake we have with Tielemans and let him go for nothing. Realistically, we’re going to have to let him go in the summer

They could, but imagine instead of selling him for 60 million then having to to pay out on a new player as well as the wages, we could up Maddison’s 100 grand wage to 350 grand a week. That’s big money for even the big clubs

Guest Col city fan

He’ll be off in the summer.

I thought he was brilliant today. Really really good.

He tore decent quality Premiership midfielders a new one this afternoon.

The big guns will be queuing I think 

4 minutes ago, les-tah said:

FFP aside… the message it actually sends is that you perform well week in week out and carry the team you will be rewarded.

its not as if its an unknown quality from abroad.

literally in this situation no player could argue that he doesnt deserve it and resent him.

That’s fine and I agree with the sentiment but you can’t divorce it from FFP / sustainability. 

The issue is that when we next go to sign a player that we’re ‘reaching for’ (e.g. arguably out of our league, lots of suitors etc.) they are likely to want to be paid close to the top earners. We’ve then got a decision as to whether we say yes and drive our wage bill up, or say no and risk losing players. 

I just don’t think it’s as easy as ‘pay him more because he deserves it’ and that’s why I think he’ll move on in the summer unfortunately. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, copunk said:

Came to the realisation that this may be his final season with us so I'm just enjoying watching him while I can 

What a player he is for us, his style of play is so hard to replicate 

No matter who he joins in future, he is going to be a massive player for, genuinely deserves to be playing in the champions League 

If we think replacing Riyad was difficult, replacing this man is going to be a nightmare 

When a great player leaves a club, the best option is sometimes not look for a like for like replacement, but change our tactics, formation and approach.  Perhaps Playing Kelechi in that position and buying a striker is an option. 

• Like 2