Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

Certainly changed our season around by coming back from injury he’s been an absolute God send since coming back, he not only finds space creates and scores goals himself he makes chances for the rest of the team he seems to increase the positivity in the group of players and giving him the Captaincy Saturday was quality he took it by the horns and lead by example.

Whatever it takes to Keep Madders at the KP is a must for Rudders and Co get him to sign an extension he’s a player that certainly makes the difference in this Leicester team and unless we can if there is another Gem hiding somewhere who’s the next Madders we need to sign him up to a quality contract!

Hopefully , he will give us one more season and see if we are pushing on towards top 4 come xmas , with a bit more quality like this transfer window who knows !  At this point of maddos career its not about money , he deserves to be champions league . I do genuinely believe he loves the club as much as we do . To think a little over 2 years ago he was getting pelters from a lot of the fan base, shameful and embarrassing !  Form is temporary ,class is permanent  

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/james-maddison-contract-admission-made-8140544?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Well that's bloody depressing. I only hope we demand £60m up front minimum even with 1 year left on his deal. 

I've personally always said that I'd like to keep Tielemans and maddison, or at least one of them. If it's Tielemans I'd want him to play in an advanced no.8 role like KDB floating side to side in a 433 formation as I think that's where Rodgers is heading anyway. 

If they both go the players coming in must hit the ground running meaning one of them (or both) being already mature and experienced players and yes, costing more. I understand why Rodgers wanted Harrison as he would fit into KDH's role albeit slightly higher up the pitch.

Here's to hoping.

With how the club was with fringe players last summer I can see the club pricing anyone out of a move for Maddison. 

I get the feeling Tielemans is only the start of big players leaving us on a free.

I would love both of them to stay but we have a huge few seasons on our hands with limited finances, we cant afford to let high value assets walk away for nothing. 

10 minutes ago, Dames said:

With how the club was with fringe players last summer I can see the club pricing anyone out of a move for Maddison. 

I get the feeling Tielemans is only the start of big players leaving us on a free.

I would love both of them to stay but we have a huge few seasons on our hands with limited finances, we cant afford to let high value assets walk away for nothing. 

I agree, but its down to the player - how much do you think he could stick in his back pocket if we walks away at 27 on a free ???

big clubs with v deep squads can say to a player that if they don't leave or don't sign then they will spend a season not playing. we cant.  and if the player has worked out a new club for summer 2024 with their agreement, then we could end up selling him at a price way below what he's worth to avoid that.  

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I agree, but its down to the player - how much do you think he could stick in his back pocket if we walks away at 27 on a free ???

big clubs with v deep squads can say to a player that if they don't leave or don't sign then they will spend a season not playing. we cant.  and if the player has worked out a new club for summer 2024 with their agreement, then we could end up selling him at a price way below what he's worth to avoid that.  

We're in a catch-22 situation now. Rodgers has publicly admitted that Maddison is at least considering his options which instantly drives any price down. 

I still think there's a deal to be done in the summer but we will have to sell below what we think we are due. Its just a hard fact we are going to have to accept if we want to stand any chance of replacing Maddison.

In the past our strength has always been when players have wanted to leave we've managed to lock them into decent deals, we've been sussed in that regard now and need to be more savvy when selling rather than driving a hard bargain with every deal. For all the praise we've got with previous sales this is the knock on effect as our star assets are now refusing to extend contracts. 

37 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Almost certainly will leave but at his age and current stature it's at odds with where we are currently at so don't begrudge him in the slightest.

Just hope we can get £60m and have some clever replacement lined up as huge boots to fill.

Agreed. Maddison has to think of himself/career and his family first. Yes, money counts but a minimum of Champions League football also, he deserves it. He's just not going to get that here whilst Rodgers remains in charge. He, unlike Tielemans, will be a huge loss but I for one wish him well. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Agreed. Maddison has to think of himself/career and his family first. Yes, money counts but a minimum of Champions League football also. He's just not going to get that here whilst Rodgers remains in charge. He, unlike Tielemans, will be a huge loss but I for one wish him well. 

Agreed but don’t know if he’s get the Champions League football with us even if/when we replace Rodgers.

Madders is leaving this summer though and like you say, you have to wish him (and Youri well) but have to hope that Glover has a few more aces up his sleeve?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Agreed but don’t know if he’s get the Champions League football with us even if/when we replace Rodgers.

Madders is leaving this summer though and like you say, you have to wish him (and Youri well) but have to hope that Glover has a few more aces up his sleeve?

Yes, whilst you can never be sure about what goes on behind the scenes, this last batch of transfers can afford us a bit of optimism. Whether that's because Congerton has gone and Rodgers influence has been kerbed somewhat who knows. 

9 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Did you really think that? I remember straight from pre-season thinking we've absolutely nailed this. His real blip didnt come until much later on and it was after the hip injury. 

Theres no doubt he's improved but he's been in our top 3 players from the day he joined. He had a talent that not many have and if you remember had the best ACM stats of an english player from his first season and only dropping out again after that injury. 

If thats not you remembering wrong than perhaps you judge too harshly. 

I really did yeah. It was everything he received the ball, just turned 180 even when he was stood alone. When there was some one near him he would go down at the slightest touch, used to bug the heck out of me.

Judging harshly does sound alot like me though. But when im wrong I will say it.

Put yourself in Maddison's shoes - he knows he's one of the best players in the division. He knows (for whatever reason) he won't get much of a chance for England places, unless he's at a 'big' club. Think he'd want to go to Arsenal/Man U/Man City if he's confident of a decent amount of game time. Likewise Newcastle could still be an option if he fancies being a big fish in a small pond. 

There's no reason to sign a contract extension. And if a move doesn't materialise this summer, then he's even more incentivised to not sign one, because then he can just wait a year and leave on a free. 

Think he'll probably go for closer to £40m than £60m in the summer

8 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Put yourself in Maddison's shoes - he knows he's one of the best players in the division. He knows (for whatever reason) he won't get much of a chance for England places, unless he's at a 'big' club. Think he'd want to go to Arsenal/Man U/Man City if he's confident of a decent amount of game time. Likewise Newcastle could still be an option if he fancies being a big fish in a small pond. 

There's no reason to sign a contract extension. And if a move doesn't materialise this summer, then he's even more incentivised to not sign one, because then he can just wait a year and leave on a free. 

Think he'll probably go for closer to £40m than £60m in the summer

£40m? I appreciate he’s in the last year of his contract, but he’s a premium English creative player. Sigurdsson cost Everton £49m!!!!!. I imagine there will be a keen and competitive bidding war amongst the 5/6 interested clubs.    

Give him what he wants. If that’s not good enough for him then we have no option but to sell if we want any chance to replace him. We’re in for a detrimental summer unless the club pull out two fantastic signings that can fill the massive gap of Maddison and Tielemans.

49 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Likewise Newcastle could still be an option if he fancies being a big fish in a small pond. 

Only reason to go to Newcastle is if you are a greedy money grabbing shite. 

Apart from having a bigger fanbase and new found wonga, there is nothing particularly impressive about them.

We have won way more in the past 40 years, have better training facilities. If Madders is leaving I hope he is sensible enough to go for a propper club. 

If he wants to be a big fish in a small pond, stay here like Vardy did, I guess loyalty like Vardy doesnt exist these days. 

27 minutes ago, Buzzell said:

Give him what he wants. If that’s not good enough for him then we have no option but to sell if we want any chance to replace him. We’re in for a detrimental summer unless the club pull out two fantastic signings that can fill the massive gap of Maddison and Tielemans.

I fully respect Youri but a few have mentioned this and I’m not basing this solely on Saturday’s game but if we continue to have our creative outlet from the FB/wingers then having a more Liverpool style CM who are more athletic than Youri could easily see our shift of style.

Madders will be a HUGE loss but surely the recruitment team have been planning for this day for a long while, perhaps why CDK was so heavily considered?

• Like 1

We've obviously tried to get him to sign an extension and he won't, which is fair enough, he'd be silly to do so.

Take the money this summer and reinvest it, we can't afford another Tielemans scenario where we're throwing 40-50m away just to keep him for one more season. Unless the offers are something silly like 20m (they won't be), then we should give him our best regards, wish him well and move him on.

Fantastic player btw, it's going to be annoying watching him be the first pick for England as soon as he moves club.

I wonder where he'll go if he does leave.

I think either of Spurs/Newcastle are most likely, depending on who makes top 4.

Can't see him at United with Fernandes there.

Man City is possibly an option if Bernardo Silva goes to Barca/PSG - although I think they're more likely to target Bellingham.

Arsenal is a no go with Odegaard there.

Chelsea I think will get Felix permanently.

Liverpool might be an option, but both parties will have to adapt to each other. Could see Mount being more likely for them if he doesn't re-sign for Chelsea. 

58 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Only reason to go to Newcastle is if you are a greedy money grabbing shite. 

Apart from having a bigger fanbase and new found wonga, there is nothing particularly impressive about them.

We have won way more in the past 40 years, have better training facilities. If Madders is leaving I hope he is sensible enough to go for a propper club. 

If he wants to be a big fish in a small pond, stay here like Vardy did, I guess loyalty like Vardy doesnt exist these days. 

I'm not making any sort of value judgement on Newcastle, just trying to speculate where he might go. Whether he goes to a traditional big 6 club or Newcastle, he will double or triple his wages. 

There's probably only Man Utd, Man City or Arsenal who would want him. Not sure Chelsea, Spurs or Liverpool want him, nor would he suit them. With the first 3 there's always the risk that you don't get enough game time, or that a year later they sign another big player who pushes you out. Going to Newcastle he'd be the main man. 

Like it or not they're now one of the richest clubs in the world and you'd have to wager they're more likely than us to qualify for europe/win silverware over the course of his contract with them

I am fine with Tielemans leaving (obviously prefer him to stay) as we have backup. KDH/Mendy/Ndidi can all do well in that midfield. Maddison is my concern. I think we will struggle to replace him in the summer and we haven't sorted it yet.

From an attacking point of view, we need Tete to be made permanent (although a bigger club will likely take him off us too). We also need some more cover on both wings and a playmaker like Maddison.