Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

11 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

lies. he was having a very good season 18 months ago

18 months ago was the start of last season. And people were definitely having a pop about him at that point. Flick through from here. 

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/123630-maddison/page/96/#comments

(you'll also find plenty of moaning in the months prior to this) 

• Like 1

Got to learn our lesson from Tielemans where we were too soft when he wasn’t signing.

Give Maddison a deadline. If he hasn’t signed by then, on the transfer list.

Sign his replacement this summer and make him feel that if he doesn’t move ahead of next season then he’ll be out of the side and wasting a season on the sidelines.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Got to learn our lesson from Tielemans where we were too soft when he wasn’t signing.

Sign his replacement this summer and make him feel that if he doesn’t move ahead of next season then he’ll be out of the side and wasting a season on the sidelines.

They'll be way too much interest in Maddison in the summer for there to be any chance of a Tielemans situation. 

There's still a big question over Tielemans even for 25-30m for teams. There is absolutely no doubt over Maddison.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Everyone knows we can’t afford to do that - we just can’t bluff that. it would be fine if his replacement was great but if he isn’t, then madders knows we have to play him.  The only edge we have on that if he isn’t playing to begin with then he won’t keep his england squad place.  I think he will definitely leave in the summer - I just think we’ll be disappointed with what we get. 

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I don't necessarily think we'll be disappointed with the amount but more how the situation has played out.

Given he's not signing I'd prefer him to go to London or Manchester for about £30 million than Newcastle for £40 million. 

Why? If he’s leaving, the only thing of interest is how much we get so that we can afford a replacement.

10 hours ago, FoxOnWheels said:

Tbf with how good he is he needs to be playing champions league football for his own sake, if I was him I’d go

Absolutely. 18 months ago there were some serious question marks about his form and wether he had peaked or not but he’s proven a lot of people wrong including me. 

I’ll be sad to see him go but he needs to be testing himself at the highest level now. He’s good enough and needs to be able to showcase that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Arsenal/ Spurs/ Man City aren't really "rivals" for us and I do think clubs should make a bit of a statement to Newcastle that they won't sell to them. 

Might be wrong, but the reality is Newcastle will surpass us in the next few years through money alone. It’ll take a bit longer than previously with Chelsea/Man City who became awash with (dirty) money due to FFP rules (which are a joke) but it’ll happen. As much as I’d hate to see Maddison go there, not sure us taking a stand will make a difference to their trajectory. It’s a money play and for me if he won’t sign he goes to the biggest bidder.

12 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

This isn’t football manager. The “transfer list” doesn’t exist anymore. 5 years or 5 weeks remaining on his contract, we aren’t in a position to do this to a player of Maddison’s quality. 

• Like 2

I am pretty sure James likes being a big fish in a smaller pond. You can quickly fade into the background at a club like Man.City. However , he is a pro. and needs to make his money while he can. If we want to tempt him to stay , we have to go to around £200. K a week. That is a major step for a club like ours. Its not the capital expenditure about £25 million over five years , its the risk of wage inflation with the rest of our squad.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

I am pretty sure James likes being a big fish in a smaller pond. You can quickly fade into the background at a club like Man.City. However , he is a pro. and needs to make his money while he can. If we want to tempt him to stay , we have to go to around £200. K a week. That is a major step for a club like ours. Its not the capital expenditure about £25 million over five years , its the risk of wage inflation with the rest of our squad.

And we simply shouldn't be doing that. Love the bloke, and he is a highlight of going to games right now. Loved him being captain, love his goals, love how he deals with the media.

But look at Salah at Liverpool. They break the bank for his new deal, and he becomes bang average. I medium to long term injury (or a drop in form) under a 200k a week deal becomes a noose around our necks that we can't deal with. 

Madders needs to move to climb to the next tier of his career. Whatever he does, i will watch with fondness and I am sure he will always hold Leicester in high regard. 

• Like 2

I wonder if he could be tempted by a big new contract with a release clause between what he would be worth with a year left, and what he would be worth with a long-term contract in place.

For example, in my opinion we will get a maximum of £50m for him in the summer, but if still had years to run I think you’d be looking at £80m. So meet somewhere in the middle at £60/65m? 

He gets a big pay rise now, and we get a higher fee when he moves on. I doubt he’d go for it, but it could be an option worth exploring if we haven’t already.