Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

Just now, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

Thats one FA Cup more than Harry Kane

But Kane probably has also given a good case study as why you shouldn’t sign a longer contract  if you want to win stuff. 

Kane effectively priced himself out of a move to ManUtd or ManCity by signing on a longer contract meaning Spurs would only accept large bids for him.

• Like 2

As many have said, he's at an age now where I think he will likely leave this summer. Once you get past 27, the big money fees become far less likely but I can see why we might get one more season out of him and a contract extension with an agreement he goes for big money if it comes in next summer.

I'd have expected the likes of Percy to know if there'd an option of another year on his contract but let's say there is, then the only way this benefits both parties if he were to be sold in the next 18 months is that he gets a big pay rise and we get one more year out of him and a fee that's worthy of his talent. Him not signing a new deal but us having the option to extend means he doesn't benefit from a big ay rise just yet and we eek out another year of him and then ask for £40-50m the year after but maybe that's not the home run and we could lose him for free if there's no longer takers.

I think he's earnt the right to move on this summer, I just hope we get a massive fee but that requires plenty of the above happening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

But Kane probably has also given a good case study as why you shouldn’t sign a longer contract  if you want to win stuff. 

Kane effectively priced himself out of a move to ManUtd or ManCity by signing on a longer contract meaning Spurs would only accept large bids for him.

I think this is where any extension at this stage would need to include a release clause that is worth more than teams would pay with only 1 year left on their deal but not so astronomical that clubs won't take that punt except on very young players with 10+ years left at the top.

A £70m release clause for example ought to mean that even at 27 with next season being as impressive as his last 18 months would likely tempt some of the elite. 

50 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

If he goes to Newcastle its not for footballing reasons. That shower will not win anything, nothing, not even an FA Cup. 

First full season after the takeover and we're 4th and in the League Cup. Our vile owners have access to huge reserves of wealth, our transfers have, thus far been more hit than miss.

Not sure where you get the confidence to assert this. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I might make this wild statement on the next @BSLBPod but is James Maddison now the best player in the Premier League?

I think he might be you know. Who's been better in the last 18 months? 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7h7TYFOqU2jbPnlS7ceB0o?si=8rG9lmfqQcWYRCOmdu4oFA

I love Maddison but come on now…

• Like 1

I might make this wild statement on the next @BSLBPod but is James Maddison now the best player in the Premier League?

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7h7TYFOqU2jbPnlS7ceB0o?si=8rG9lmfqQcWYRCOmdu4oFA

He has been incredible. Scoring, assists, defensive work. He has really shaken off his show pony stuff a few years ago and really focussed on just decision making and playing team football. He needed that time when Rodgers finally put him on the bench after consistently performing below par. He came back and has not looked back since. He has surprised me how well he has become. He is at Mahrez level now and can play in any team including Man City.

Edited by Tom12345

A certain long blonde haired robot springs to mind.

2 hours ago, Phenom said:

I love Maddison but come on now…

Who you picking ahead of him? It's not that outlandish. I'd say KDB and Haaland but that's about it and I think if I had to choose one of KDB or Maddison I'd not immediately say KDB as I don't think he's as influential in attack any longer as Maddison is.

• Like 1

He will definitely be gone this summer, he strikes me as a bloke who wants to be playing on the big stage and hes too good a player for him not to be spending his peak years playing Champions league football. Think itll be between Man City and Arsenal personally. Will get a great reception on his return no matter what, he deserves it.

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

I love for Maddison to stay but to convince him to stay for another year we may need a summer with big players coming in so that he feels we can challenge for top 4 places next year. Otherwise it may be difficult but I really hope he can stay.

I just wish we saw him in the Champions League for us. Would have had a decent team to compete in 2020-21 had we done the job

8 hours ago, TheFish said:

First full season after the takeover and we're 4th and in the League Cup. Our vile owners have access to huge reserves of wealth, our transfers have, thus far been more hit than miss.

Not sure where you get the confidence to assert this. 

And your lot have a final with a 40-45% chance of winning a major trophy in a week and a half. Not only that Champions League is about a 50% chance with the big six clubs outside the Champions League spots doing their best to throw it away. 

Anyone who thinks Leicester and Newcastle are rivals haven't been paying attention for a good year, that ship has sailed for us at least for the foreseeable future.

I thought Newcastle would have come in for Maddison in January and maybe overspent to get him. He's arguably the best player in the world who would come to Newcastle at this moment and buying Gordon from Everton seems a waste if you could have tempted Maddison.

Edited by Gerard

30 minutes ago, Gerard said:

And your lot have a final with a 40-45% chance of winning a major trophy in a week and a half. Not only that Champions League is about a 50% chance with the big six clubs outside the Champions League spots doing their best to throw it away. 

Anyone who thinks Leicester and Newcastle are rivals haven't been paying attention for a good year, that ship has sailed for us at least for the foreseeable future.

I thought Newcastle would have come in for Maddison in January and maybe overspent to get him. He's arguably the best player in the world who would come to Newcastle at this moment and buying Gordon from Everton seems a waste if you could have tempted Maddison.

Think Newcastle wasted their only minuscule chance of signing him last summer with their absolutley pathetic offers. A player like Maddison with his output and one year left on his contract will have the pick of the league, Newcastle wont be anyway near the top of that

Edited by South Shire Fox

23 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Think Newcastle wasted their only minuscule chance of signing him last summer with their absolutley pathetic offers. A player like Maddison with his output and one year left on his contract will have the pick of the league, Newcastle wont be anyway near the top of that

That's why I thought they might come in for him in the January window. Make Leicester a big offer, pay him big wages and let him make a decision. He would go to Newcastle for sure but this summer he may have better offers from more established clubs. Newcastle may have overspent but it gets them where they want to be a lot quicker than seeking out value and players with potential.

I think in Newcastle's position he would have been perfect, they can't attract top players from top clubs but they could have got a top player from a club like ours. 

I think Man City will sign him if they can dodge this stuff with CAS again. If not, I struggle to see who's going to pay up apart Spurs and Newcastle, neither of which is a huge club. Arsenal have Odegaard, Man Utd have Fernandes, Chelsea have Mount (lol) Liverpool maybe? But they'd have to change up a few things in their club.

I think we might be lucky with timing this summer.

United with Fernandes, Arsenal with Odegaard, Chelsea with Mount (and about 6 other attacking midfielder types) won’t pay the money for what will be backup (wrongly, but still).

I don’t know if he’d be a fit for City, and he seems to have his head screwed on - so might look at his mates Grealish and Foden barely playing and not fancy it.

Not sure Spurs or Newcastle match his ambitions.

Contract extension, club captain, sensible release clause, one more year to try and rebuild with him being gone in mind. I believe.

(Though he will almost certainly go to Newcastle)

One massive thing in our favour is the fact he is a massive fish in a decent size pond, therefore when fit he plays week in week out, which gives him the consistency and opportunity to post big goal involvement numbers. The big risk for him will be move to a big 6 club and whilst you benefit wage wise and the opportunity to play champions league, there is also the downside of being a victim to squad rotation, which I think would hamper Madders as he would lose rhythm and momentum.

I think if we show ambitions in our summer recruitment and give him the armband, I think there is every chance he will sign an extension and look to give us another season or 2 to deliver European football before moving on for a decent but reasonable fee. 

8 hours ago, Gerard said:

That's why I thought they might come in for him in the January window. Make Leicester a big offer, pay him big wages and let him make a decision. He would go to Newcastle for sure but this summer he may have better offers from more established clubs. Newcastle may have overspent but it gets them where they want to be a lot quicker than seeking out value and players with potential.

I think in Newcastle's position he would have been perfect, they can't attract top players from top clubs but they could have got a top player from a club like ours. 

🤣🤣🤣

Another Geordie cuck on here. 

Even if they offer double what another club offered him, there's no chance he joins them. Zilch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

🤣🤣🤣

Another Geordie cuck on here. 

Even if they offer double what another club offered him, there's no chance he joins them. Zilch.

Don’t know where you get this confidence from. They’re clearly a club on the rise who will push top 4 for the foreseeable. Shit if I was him I’d join them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

For me he’s an £80m player on too short of a contract. We need to doing everything we can to extend - Top probably needs to make him a promise as we did with Maguire.

He is 27 this year so all we can offer him is a lot more money. If he stays , he will be worth a lot less at 29.

Just now, An Sionnach said:

He is 27 this year so all we can offer him is a lot more money. If he stays , he will be worth a lot less at 29.

Players are playing their better football for far longer than they used to - he’s not Wayne Rooney. He’ll be worth a lot whether he’s 26,27 or 29