Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

On 15/02/2023 at 22:14, Gerard said:

And your lot have a final with a 40-45% chance of winning a major trophy in a week and a half. Not only that Champions League is about a 50% chance with the big six clubs outside the Champions League spots doing their best to throw it away. 

Anyone who thinks Leicester and Newcastle are rivals haven't been paying attention for a good year, that ship has sailed for us at least for the foreseeable future.

I thought Newcastle would have come in for Maddison in January and maybe overspent to get him. He's arguably the best player in the world who would come to Newcastle at this moment and buying Gordon from Everton seems a waste if you could have tempted Maddison.

Our targets for the season before it started will have been top half finish, good showing in the cups. We're way, way ahead of schedule.

Everything that I heard is that we did try for Maddison but you were, understandably, asking for way over his market value. 

Gordon represents where we are in our progress. We could get a young kid with potential who very much fits into the blueprint of an Eddie Howe team; energy, speed, tenacity, decent technically, and a bit of a shithouse. We could weaken an opponent safe in the knowledge they wouldn't spend the money well (see Wood from Burnley). 

We would need to have spent 3 times that £40m to get Maddison from you in January. Given our stated targets, is Maddison the right signing at that price? Probably not, no. That would see us eat £80m further into our FFP wriggle room.  And would he be the difference between 6/7th and 4th? Maybe, but if we're happy with 6/7th, why bet the house? Similar story with Matheus Franca, we wanted to pay £20m flat, Flamengo wanted £25m + 50% of any future deal. We may have been able to afford it, but is it worth it right now?

Come the summer we should have some better commercial deals, especially if we somehow get back in the CL conversation. Those deals inflate the FFP wriggle room, and we can revisit Maddison and Franca. 

Who do you think Maddison will end up at?

1 hour ago, TheFish said:

Our targets for the season before it started will have been top half finish, good showing in the cups. We're way, way ahead of schedule.

Everything that I heard is that we did try for Maddison but you were, understandably, asking for way over his market value. 

Gordon represents where we are in our progress. We could get a young kid with potential who very much fits into the blueprint of an Eddie Howe team; energy, speed, tenacity, decent technically, and a bit of a shithouse. We could weaken an opponent safe in the knowledge they wouldn't spend the money well (see Wood from Burnley). 

We would need to have spent 3 times that £40m to get Maddison from you in January. Given our stated targets, is Maddison the right signing at that price? Probably not, no. That would see us eat £80m further into our FFP wriggle room.  And would he be the difference between 6/7th and 4th? Maybe, but if we're happy with 6/7th, why bet the house? Similar story with Matheus Franca, we wanted to pay £20m flat, Flamengo wanted £25m + 50% of any future deal. We may have been able to afford it, but is it worth it right now?

Come the summer we should have some better commercial deals, especially if we somehow get back in the CL conversation. Those deals inflate the FFP wriggle room, and we can revisit Maddison and Franca. 

Who do you think Maddison will end up at?

Hes good enough to play for literally any team in the world so who knows.   Hopefully not Newcastle though.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 22/02/2023 at 13:24, moore_94 said:

Just curious what you think his market value was last summer?

Probably around £40m. From what I've heard (and despite reports) Leicester were holding out for closer to, or beyond £100m because of where you were, who we are, and what he means to your team. I don't think c£100m on Maddison represents good value for NUFC. If we were gunning for the title and had all the other jigsaw pieces in place bar him, then maybe. But, as I've said, our aims for this season were top half and do well in the cup. We can achieve those without Maddison and when/if he leaves Leicester in the summer, I'd be surprised if he went for anything close to £100m. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it's good business sense to stick such a massive price tag on him. He is your best player, integral to how you play, and, at the time, you were still very much in the relegation conversation. Selling him would have been seen by fans and other players as a white flag of surrender. 

1 minute ago, TheFish said:

No, he's not, otherwise he would be. 

You are right in one way that he's probably not good enough to play for any team in the world, but the argument for it is invalid. Just because a player is currently at Leicester doesn't mean a player couldn't play for any other team. Prime Vardy - any other team would have taken him. Just because he didn't move doesn't mean he wasn't good enough

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hejammy said:

You are right in one way that he's probably not good enough to play for any team in the world, but the argument for it is invalid. Just because a player is currently at Leicester doesn't mean a player couldn't play for any other team. Prime Vardy - any other team would have taken him. Just because he didn't move doesn't mean he wasn't good enough

Sorry, there's been a misunderstanding. Maddison isn't good enough to play for the elite teams. Not because he's at Leicester, but simply because he's not that good.

If he was that good, somebody would have met the asking price. As they did with Grealish from Villa.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Sorry, there's been a misunderstanding. Maddison isn't good enough to play for the elite teams. Not because he's at Leicester, but simply because he's not that good.

If he was that good, somebody would have met the asking price. As they did with Grealish from Villa.

Time will tell but I think you are very wrong and possibly have not been watching him closely enough.

2 minutes ago, TheFish said:

He is clearly one of the best, if not the best attacking midfielder in the Prem and has been for the last 18 months.  Man City have tried to sign him before the Jan deadline and you bunch of muppets tried to get him on the cheap last summer.

If you do not think he is good enough to play for an elite team then you clearly do not know football. It is good to know that you see him as a non-elite player as it will hurt a little less for you when he joins one of the Manchester clubs in the summer.

12 minutes ago, TheFish said:

well he is definitely as good as grealish. i think maybe they are put off with all the injuries he always gets, and grealish got incredibly overrated because he was really the only one that really stood out at villa at the time.

21 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Have you considered the possibility that he's not for sale, and that we aren't entertaining any offers regardless of whether they meet the 'asking price' or not? Because let's face it, we'd be on a level with Southampton without him.

Goals + Assists/90
1. Erling Haaland  Manchester City 1.45
2. Roberto Firmino  Liverpool 0.93
3. James Maddison  Leicester City 0.92
4. Phil Foden  Manchester City 0.85
5. Ivan Toney  Brentford 0.81
6. Harry Kane  Tottenham 0.80
7. Riyad Mahrez  Manchester City 0.78
  Marcus Rashford  Manchester Utd 0.78
  Callum Wilson  Newcastle Utd 0.78
10. Bukayo Saka  Arsenal 0.77
  Kevin De Bruyne  Manchester City 0.77
Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheFish said:

You can't watch Grealish in the last 12 months and tell me he's half the player Maddison is right now. He's been abject for Man City. He's got 3 goals all season in THAT team. I watched him against Leipzig and it was like watching prime Philpott. Grealish went for the price he did and when he did because he had a 3 or 4 years left on his Villa deal and it was negotiated in the summer. Maddison has half that time left and top players don't leave their clubs mid-season.

25 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Hahahahahahahaaaa is this a serious post? 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, TheFish said:

You really have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Like a jilted lover's comment that. 

• Like 1

You all seem to have taken great offence, and that wasn't my intent. 

Maddison is very good, there's no question about that. But if he was truly the superstar you think he is, why haven't the elite clubs dropped huge sums on Leicester to tempt him to leave. Leicester have sold their best players before, Maddison's contract only has 16 months left to go, he plays in a role that most elite teams utilise, it's the consensus that Leicester have holes to fill in their finances. These are all positives for a buying side before you even get to the player himself. 

You'd think that one of them would have tested your resolve, but instead of them, it was us. 

His form for you is amazing, but objectively he's not as good as the players for his role, playing for the elite sides.

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Think you're on your own with this one. 

I knew it would be an unpopular opinion, but boy oh boy did I stir up the hornets nest.

It reminds me of arguments with fellow Newcastle fans about our best player not really being 'World Class'. Like, Saint-Maximin is an amazing footballer, even when he's not having one of his days, but he's nowhere near good enough to play for an elite side. (No, I'm not saying Maddison is worse than ASM).

Maddison is your best player, and you love him. Some jumped up Northerner saying he isn't 'elite' is bound to rattle you a bit. If someone dared suggest Bruno Guimaraes isn't the second coming on a Newcastle board, you'd get the same response. I just don't think Maddison is good enough to 'get into literally any side in the world'.