Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

8 hours ago, TheFish said:

The kind of pressing elite teams do now means that they need all of their players to pressure the opposition. Even Attackers, that's why we've been using ASM less. Sure he's got the kind of control that will leave a right back with twisted blood, but if his indolence means our press is easily bypassed, we're better off with a less gifted footballer who does do the hard graft, like Willock.

You've got to be trolling. I understand if you don't agree that he's an elite player and one of the best in his position in the PL (he is though), I dont see Bruno play much for yous but i dont really see him as elite yet, could well be I'm mistaken.

But a Newcastle that had this Maddison over Willock would be comfortably Top 4 well ahead of the rest of the CL would bes. All your painful draws recently would probably be wins for one. And in any case he is defensively good, for an ACM anyway. You have Guimaraes and Joelinton in midfield you don't need another more defensively minded player. 

Safe to say Newcastle have punched above their weight with the squad they have. I’d imagine losing the League Cup this weekend will see them start to struggle.

Like the nigh sayers said about our title win in 15/16, they’ve benefitted from other clubs being a bit crap. Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham haven’t been great this year. I think they’ll miss the top 4 though. 

4 hours ago, Sly said:

Maddison also being linked heavily to Tottenham now. I can see that move being more appealing, compared to Newcastle. 

Clearly they have a much better recent record, and are more likley to be int he Top 4 come the end of the season.  On the downside, not clear if Conte or Kane are there next season.

5 hours ago, Sly said:

Maddison also being linked heavily to Tottenham now. I can see that move being more appealing, compared to Newcastle. 

I just can’t see a Spurs that accommodates Kane and Madders playing in similar positions, I know Kane starts further up but drops into that 10 role.

As someone said, maybe Kane is finally going to leave Spurs (a couple of seasons too late IMO).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

all respect, why would you want to go to Spurs over Newcastle; bigger picture Newcastle are on the way up compared to Spurs; while Spurs are like a box of frogs; never know whats gonna happen

Pochettino is better than Howe?

9 hours ago, Sly said:

Safe to say Newcastle have punched above their weight with the squad they have. I’d imagine losing the League Cup this weekend will see them start to struggle.

Like the nigh sayers said about our title win in 15/16, they’ve benefitted from other clubs being a bit crap. Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham haven’t been great this year. I think they’ll miss the top 4 though. 

Newcastle are just riding the wave of form off of changing ownership. They're no different from west ham, Sheffield United, wolves and ourselves in recent seasons.

They have the capability of having a European push when morale is high and everyone is playing at 110%. What Newcastle fans will find out in the near future is that being near the top for 1-2 seasons can very quickly turn into being at the bottom.

You always have to be wary of a team that shoots to the top rather than one that progressively improves over a number of seasons as that success is being done on shaky foundations. Most of their players are over performing, if they want to be playing in Europe for the next 5 seasons they need to replace 8 of their starting XI players over the next few windows. Newcastle fans might think they are ahead of the curve as the target was mid table instead  of Europe but instead they should be wary of the fact that many of their players wont be able to maintain this level and their club isnt bringing in European quality players regularly.

It could easily be the case where their squad is better in a season or two but the additions are not enough to reverse the drop off in form of their current lot and they find themselves languishing near relegation after spending a lot of money like west ham.

10 hours ago, Sly said:

It all depends on whether Conte is still at the spuds, he had Eriksen at Inter and hardly played him until the last few months he was there, I don't think Maddison would suit the way Conte plays.

25 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Newcastle are just riding the wave of form off of changing ownership. They're no different from west ham, Sheffield United, wolves and ourselves in recent seasons.

They have the capability of having a European push when morale is high and everyone is playing at 110%. What Newcastle fans will find out in the near future is that being near the top for 1-2 seasons can very quickly turn into being at the bottom.

You always have to be wary of a team that shoots to the top rather than one that progressively improves over a number of seasons as that success is being done on shaky foundations. Most of their players are over performing, if they want to be playing in Europe for the next 5 seasons they need to replace 8 of their starting XI players over the next few windows. Newcastle fans might think they are ahead of the curve as the target was mid table instead  of Europe but instead they should be wary of the fact that many of their players wont be able to maintain this level and their club isnt bringing in European quality players regularly.

It could easily be the case where their squad is better in a season or two but the additions are not enough to reverse the drop off in form of their current lot and they find themselves languishing near relegation after spending a lot of money like west ham.

I don´t get the Newcastle hype. They´ve got money yes and are on a roll at the moment. But so have we been, Brighton are and so were Wolves one year as well as West Ham. Whats the attraction for any of our players of going to Newcastle (apart from money)? There is no proof that they will succeed and are even further down the trophy line than Spurs.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Their underlying numbers are very good, they have some excellent players (Botman, Guimaraes, Isak) and Howe seems like he's genuinely developed. I don't like Newcastle but I think it is relatively sustainable especially as Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs don't look great in the medium term

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Their underlying numbers are very good, they have some excellent players (Botman, Guimaraes, Isak) and Howe seems like he's genuinely developed. I don't like Newcastle but I think it is relatively sustainable especially as Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs don't look great in the medium term

The key point is that they have some excellent players. You could have said the same for wolves who had Ruben neves, jiminez, Diogo jota at wolves or rice and Bowen at west ham.

The rest of the Newcastle team such as Dan burn, schar, joelinton, longstaff, Joe willock, almiron will be able to perform at these levels for maybe 1 more season before they drop off. Newcastle haven't been pro active in the transfer market in upgrading these players and will drop off as a team with these players as well. I dont rate isak that much either, he's supposed to be Callum Wilson's replacement but I dont think he has it in him to consistently get the same numbers which is what Newcastle need to become competitors.

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

I don´t get the Newcastle hype. They´ve got money yes and are on a roll at the moment. But so have we been, Brighton are and so were Wolves one year as well as West Ham. Whats the attraction for any of our players of going to Newcastle (apart from money)? There is no proof that they will succeed and are even further down the trophy line than Spurs.

Well:

(a) money is all some players care about

(b) they have more money than any other club in the world ever

(c) because of (b) they'll soon enough be right up there with Man City in the hunt for trophies (aka right up there even higher than Man City in the morally repugnant league table. Not that many of their fans will care how repugnant they are because 'you don't understand how we suffered under Mike Ashley' or 'you're just jealous' or some other spurious crap).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Well:

(a) money is all some players care about

(b) they have more money than any other club in the world ever

(c) because of (b) they'll soon enough be right up there with Man City in the hunt for trophies (aka right up there even higher than Man City in the morally repugnant league table. Not that many of their fans will care how repugnant they are because 'you don't understand how we suffered under Mike Ashley' or 'you're just jealous' or some other spurious crap).

The reasons I cannot stand them.....

• Like 1