Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

Just now, Sampson said:

Mate you said he needs the armband ripped off him and his take is so bad he deserves prison time lol You quite clearly are offended by the tweet though. What do you expect him to say? “We were shit”

Imagine frothing at the mouth at such a nothing  tweet that you  say

“this crap is a perfect example of why he needs that armband ripped off of him. His last two takes on our performance deserve prison time… Christ he’s clearly NOT a leader or a captain… this kind of stuff just stinks as a huge part of the reason we are in the mess we are in..”

I mean, ****ing hell… You’d think he just called the fans willy pullers or something…

You’ll find the kind of inoffensive, non-commital posts Maddison has just posted on social media from countless players in every PL side. It’s part of the job in 2023. Media duties and social media etiquette like that are literally written into players contracts.

I’m sorry but frothing at the mouth so much at such a nothing, non-comittal post is just sad. That kind of post has zero to do with the mess you’re in, you’ll see exactly the same type of posts from Arsenal, Villa and Bournemouth players alike and players from every other club too.

The prison time comment is very clearly a joke, because his take was horrendous, surely there are no fans who agree with the statement he made? I'm not offended by the tweet, I'm just calling it out as nonsense. What do I expect him to say? Nothing at all, he doesn't need to tweet, it makes no difference to squad morale, and won't change anything on the pitch, so when the tweet is so far from reality, its best to say nothing. 

There's no "frothing at the mouth" what is wrong with you? this is just a forum we post on and I'm stating an opinion that his standards are clearly not where they need to be if he thinks those performances will keep us up, that's not frothing at the mouth, I'm not sure where you're getting this from. 
I don't think he called the fans willy pullers, all you've done is tell me what I think and what I believe.

Again, you've made up your own scenario where he was replying to Tanner because of media duties, you have no evidence of this, you've made it up to make your post sound more credible. 

"you’ll see exactly the same type of posts from Arsenal, Villa and Bournemouth players alike and players from every other club too." All of those teams are playing better than us, Bournemouth look far better than us from a performance perspective but just don't have the squad to get the results needed, but they are giving absolutely everything. 

We are playing poorly and have a much better squad. 
In the context of where we are and how we are playing, the tweet was just ridiculous. 

You can call it frothing at the mouth if you like, I'm not, but by your own logic, you're frothing at the mouth to reply to me. 

24 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Some of our fans are so weird, it’s such an inoffensive tweet and people are frothing at the mouth and saying him leaving won’t bother you one bit and he can leave, now?

Christ, social media really does some people into weirdos. 

It’s a nothing post, he’s probably even been instructed to post it by the media team, Of all the things to go after someone over, this is one of the weirdest…

The uproar is insane. Anything to find fault. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

You act like it was you that asked the question, but it’s a pointed question from a journalist. No leader demotivates his troops when asked, trying to promote a positive mindset as a leader, especially now,  is paramount. If you had asked the question off the record, as a fan, the answer may have been more to your liking.

He wasn't asked though, he posted a tweet, there was no question asked to him, and his reply a few days ago to Rob Tanner, again was not a question, quote tweeted Rob Tanner who didn't tag or involve James in anything.
Whether a fan asked him or not is irrelevant to the point, the point I'm making is about the content of his tweet, not who asked or why. 

And this is why social media is an odd place a dabble very little in. People feel the right to post whatever they like. 

Im with some others…it’s a non offensive tweet. People need to calm down a little. We all know we could h e got more out of it and a win was needed, but in some ways a point at Brentford isn’t the worst result.

• Like 1

I dont really get what people are offended by?

Given our current form & position, he's right, there is no shame in a point away to a strong Brentford team.

Theres a lot of things to pick fault with currently but not this.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Madders morphing into Brendan process complete :ph34r:

Great team Brentford, wonderful club :whistle:

Aye, joint level on points with 6th place and have lost 1 home league game all season.. terrible side who we should be spanking… Now lets compare that to how utterly wank we are

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Haha 1

Just now, StanSP said:

He's not gonna come out and say we played crap or should be doing better. It's not a thing you really say in public when trying to come across as motivated or determined. A point away at Brentford is good. Look at their record at home, and look where we are currently. Considering everyone, including myself, expected a hammering, it's a point gained. 

It's not a bad point. Let's not get on his back for absolutely no reason at all. 

The overreaction is so odd. And probably borne out of frustration at other parts of how the club is run or managed. Basically, Maddison is very much the least of our problems and it's no good alienating him when he's the main reason we're not doing even worse. 

I completely appreciate your points and I don't disagree with the premise of what you're saying. But I don't even think it's been an overreaction. 
There's been a massive overreaction from people trying to twist words to defend Maddison when in reality all people who have an issue with his posts are saying is that what he's tweeted is objectively untrue in the context of our performances. 
I could have just said "bollocks" but I tried to explain a bit more context as to why it worries me that our best player is suggesting our performances are good enough to stay up when they are not. 

8 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

He wasn't asked though, he posted a tweet, there was no question asked to him, and his reply a few days ago to Rob Tanner, again was not a question, quote tweeted Rob Tanner who didn't tag or involve James in anything.
Whether a fan asked him or not is irrelevant to the point, the point I'm making is about the content of his tweet, not who asked or why. 

But either way, it would be counter productive to damage already fragile confidence., and as the leader, its important to bolster it not the opposite. In my opinion anyway 😊

• Like 2

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

But either way, it would be counter productive to damage already fragile confidence., and as the leader, its important to bolster it not the opposite. In my opinion anyway 😊

Yeah and I'm not saying that's the wrong approach at all, he can go into the dressing room and be honest, saying the performances are not good enough but we can stay up etc etc, but as far as I can see, his tweets were his own private decision, and the content of the tweets in the context of the performance is pretty obviously nonsense to anyone who has been following us (the tanner tweet especially, the tweet today less so) 
I really don't believe his posting this on social media today has had any effect on the players, so I don't really see the upside of doing it. The downside of doing it is that he looks ridiculous (again especially the Tanner response)

I guess fans will always see it in different ways, personally, if the players insist on posting on socials after matches, i'd much rather they all take collective responsibility for poor performances than bluffing optimism. But I can completely see why players do post optimism, I just don't think it solves anything, especially if the players buy into it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Aye, joint level on points with 6th place and have lost 1 home league game all season.. terrible side who we should be spanking… Now lets compare that to how utterly wank we are

Make no mistake based on where we are and how awful we have been it's a fantastic point away. But for me the greater picture is that we shouldn't be where we are, and playing how we are, we should be where Brentford are. 
If as some fans are suggesting (I'm not saying you are or aren't) that Maddisons recent tweets are an effort to give the players optimism, wouldn't that also be sending the message that our performances are okay and we will be fine if we just continue as we are?

Always hilarious watching people think there’s no difference between what a manager/player says publicly and what they’re saying privately.

Do you honestly think they won’t be saying/thinking different things behind closed doors? 

During the title win players and manager spent most of the season saying they weren’t in a title race. Were people frothing at the mouth then, for the lack of ambition? Do we think behind closed doors they weren’t going for the title win? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Make no mistake based on where we are and how awful we have been it's a fantastic point away. But for me the greater picture is that we shouldn't be where we are, and playing how we are, we should be where Brentford are. 
If as some fans are suggesting (I'm not saying you are or aren't) that Maddisons recent tweets are an effort to give the players optimism, wouldn't that also be sending the message that our performances are okay and we will be fine if we just continue as we are?

I think its a social media post that was posted to try and give some much needed positivity in the LCFC fanbase from our captain instead of none stop toxicity, but people have had a meltdown in thinking that it suggests Maddison is happy we are languishing in 17th and that he doesnt give a shit because hes off in the summer.

Edited by South Shire Fox

1 minute ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

@cityfanlee23 I do think your stance is being a bit misunderstood here and people saying you're overreacting to a post are actually overreacting to yours even more lol

Yeah, I thought so too, but the thing is the people who are "misunderstanding" are good posters, so that's why I've tried to sort of hash out the debate a bit to make it clearer what I'm saying. I guess maybe I could have worded it clearer, but It can sometimes be hard to convey yourself on forums especially when it's an emotive subject like criticising our best player  lol

Just now, South Shire Fox said:

I think its a social media post that was posted to try and give some much needed positivity in the LCFC fanbase from our captain instead of none stop toxicity but people have had a meltdown to

You're exaggerating the "meltdown" bit. No idea why, unless you're talking about the twitter response which I've not read. 
The issue here is that sure the fanbase need much needed positivity, things are not good at the moment, but what he's said recently, especially the Tanner tweet, is just blind optimism and borderline delusion, if anything that's worse than optimism. To suggest our performance against Southampton is good enough to get points and keep us up is just mental, and of course, had the complete opposite effect to what he intended. 

No one is misunderstanding cityleefan’s post at all.

He literally accuses Maddison of either being “completely deluded” or “rubbing it in the fan’s faces” and that post is why Maddison needs the armband “ripped off him”. We can all read the post and the obviously bizarrely over the top language used in it in relation to what Maddison’s post actually says.

Of course that’s a weird overreaction and bizarrely abrasive language to use as a response to such an inoffensive “it was a decent point” post.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1