Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

Personally I do think he care.

However, there’s a difference between just caring and having a strong mentality to do something about it.

Given his recent battles on twitter, I do think he has a weak mentality but is getting so frustrated because he does ultimately care.

He is not captain material either. He is there to do his thing and putting the pressure of captain and being effectively a one man team much of the time has not helped him.

Regarding the issue with the west stand, as others have said, must have been more personal than performance related whatever was said that he reacted to. Not that he should be reacting as a professional.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

Outstanding player who will thrive at a big club, but he knows he's gone in the summer and has completely checked out.

Don’t see it this way. He’s one of the few who have actually shown some fight and emotion at times. He made a mistake today but he’s carried us in many games this season. 

• Like 1

Take the captaincy off him and get him higher up the pitch, with Nacho for something different, especially if Barnes is injured, don't wanna see him in our defensive half, he's too far away from the oppositions goal to do anything positive there. Get Praet in the team for some midfield technical ability.

Edited by Beachyboy

16 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

He's not a leader, take the captaincy off him. As there are no suitable candidates, I'd probably give Castagne a go for a couple games.

All Rodger’s was doing giving him that was to basically say stay and we’ll build a team around you. Never going to happen was it. Swapping it this season won’t make any difference. 

2 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

All Rodger’s was doing giving him that was to basically say stay and we’ll build a team around you. Never going to happen was it. Swapping it this season won’t make any difference. 

It may take a bit of pressure of Maddison to find a bit of form back, whoever you give the captaincy to, I don't expect much of an improvement. Man managed right this shouldn't be seen as a punishment but more an acknowledgement that he has carried the team, we still need him to do that.

Edited by Beachyboy

Guest bennytwohats
9 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Honestly, it's one of biggest annoyances with society and, in particular, football today.

The idea that professional footballers need to be 'loved' to do their jobs is laughable. The verb for their job is 'to play' and their job is, quite literally, 'a game'. They get fabulous riches from playing a game. The idea that they not only want but actually NEED constant adulation to play the game is pathetic. 

Imagine a surgeon not doing their job correctly because they patient didn't shower them with affection or an electrician ballsing up the wiring because his client didn't sing enough songs and him.

Perhaps that's the problem. Too much smoke blown up their arses.

I think this is over simplistic. 

Elite level sport is played in the margins where technical proficiency is not enough. Motivation and mindset is key. It’s not so much that they need constant adulation to perform, but the conditions need to be right - motivated, the right level of pressure, shielded from some negativity etc. It’s not that he’s ‘not doing his job’, but the conditions are clearly not right for him to be thriving right now. You can fairly criticise his resilience and mental strength given that, but you’re over simplifying if you think big wages mean you should turn up and perform at your optimal without looking at other factors.

You don’t have to like it, I’m not saying that’s the way it should be, but it’s clear as day from the evidence. Have teams and players level of effort increased over the years as wages have grown? No. Is there any correlation between new contracts etc and increased performance? Conversely, have teams looked transformed once they get some confidence under their belt and gone on winning runs? Look at Bournemouth under the last two games, us under our title season etc. Go recruit a team of Roy Keanes and you’ll probably not need to worry about it, but for most players other factors need to be right.

You also downplay this in other industries. You think there aren’t Electricians who will turn up and half arse a job because you didn’t offer them a cup of tea? You reckon all tradies do as thorough a job on other peoples houses as they do their own? I can tell you for a fact that plenty don’t, because they’re not as motivated to despite them being paid in one case and not the other.

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

It's hard to compare Maddison to favourites from years ago because I don't think people like footballers like we used to. Don't have that same affection. Not sure we will be talking about Maddison in 20 years as one of our greats. No matter what he does next. 

Of course we will. Just like we will with Mahrez or we do with Shilton or Worthington. People always forget how it ends with time and remember the great parts. People like footballers fine but too many here are trying to compare players from when they were 12 years old and football obsessed to when they’re adults with families and other responsibilities, at which age you just understand footballers are people who do a job, so the players from when people are a kid still have the deepest emotional connection. The fans who are under 18 today will be waxing lyrical about Maddison in 20 years time no question.

Edited by Sampson
  • Haha 1

Guest TheBear
2 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

He's not a leader, take the captaincy off him. As there are no suitable candidates, I'd probably give Castagne a go for a couple games.

Castagne has been awful rewarding that with captaincy is backwards. 

4 minutes ago, TheBear said:

He clearly doesn't give a toss, he was in Turkey Cafe on the p*ss after yesterday's shambles. 

Aye, he really cares lol 

We’ll have loads saying doesn’t he deserve a night off after work? Totally ignoring the fact it’s happening every few weeks for numerous players and it’s one of the main reasons why we’re so unfit and poor on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, TheBear said:

He clearly doesn't give a toss, he was in Turkey Cafe on the p*ss after yesterday's shambles. 

Get off his back, we really need supporters like you, is there any wonder players want out when there are knobs like you sprouting such shit.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Do you not see an issue with the captain on the pitch swearing at fans, yeah it won't be nice getting dogs abuse, but to lose your professionalism and say f off to fans is disgraceful.

Disgraceful? It’s literally like for like. 

I’d rather the fans had some perspective and restraint too tbh, but in the absence of that he can reply in kind as far as I’m concerned…

• Like 1

Guest Mee-9
1 hour ago, shiv said:

Hopefully him being off twitter means he will let his football do the talking now. Actions speak louder than words. 

It doesn't.

It means he's upset, and is hiding from the stick he's getting from the fans. KDH on Tuesday night came out straight away and apologised for his red card and mistakes. He's hiding from the rightful criticism.

But no-one deserves to have vitriol directed towards them. 

He's not shining in a sh1t team, despite him appearing to be confident and at times, cocky in his earlier days, I think he does a fair bit of self analysis and beats himself up more than most. This is why the captaincy doesn't work, he feels the weight of it, its a burden to him rather than an honour. 

• Like 3

I’m not usually bothered about what players do in their free time, I do think some of them suffer from spending too much time recovering from hangovers but the reality is they should be allowed to do whatever they want to do in their free time. 

However with that being said and the situation we find ourselves in can these players really say they’ve been giving it their all when they are spending half the week recovering from boozing at the weekend? At the top level those differences matter. 

• Like 2

On 04/04/2023 at 22:53, lcfcsnow said:

I said earlier today we needed a change of captain for the run in given he's likely to be sulking over Rodgers, he's also barely put in a decent performance since getting the armband.

Still this, there doesn't seem to be anyone at the club able to make the right decisions anymore on anything.

Great player, but a bit of a wally. Needs that arm around him Brendan had been providing for a while and i imagine requires a lot of one to one time to keep him in check. Captaincy looks like a task too far and i imagine he is now going round in circles getting wound up. SaS can't deal with him.

Without Madders playing well we are screwed. Madders as Captain doesn't work. Madders without Brendan is dangerous. 

Edited by Chelmofox

14 hours ago, maynefox said:

Based on what? That dreadful, half-hearted performance? The fact we have picked up 8 points since Boxing Day? Picking up 0 points from 4 games against Bournemouth and Southampton? Or was it Stowell's parroted response?

It's precisely because we've had this "calm" attitude that the club is in this mess. Half the fans realised we were in the mud for months. They were criticised for not being "calm"; when in fact they could see us heading for relegation.

Precisely. The shift in attitude from Maddison is quite astounding, from being quite pleased with the nature of the performances just a few weeks ago to now being distraught with the very real prospect of relegation.

Rodgers had been pulling the wool over their eyes for far too long and now he has gone, they all realise that we are in the sh*t and they aren’t mentally equipped to deal with it. There’s no entitlement on behalf of the fans, if anything it seems as though this squad felt entitled to their premier league status when fans have been eager to protect it all season. It’s on the players to respond positively in adversity and to all the negativity around the club. That’s what “resilience” is all about, the fans can’t run those extra yards for them. They have to put the work in themselves and react as we expect them to. 

Edited by oadby.fox
  • Like 3