Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

4 hours ago, bennytwohats said:

I mean he quite literally did. Youri had the ball and Madders walked up and took it from him. Some people are calling that a routine, others are saying Smith said he was assigned penalty taker to cover for Madders and take some pressure off him. 

You're having a mare here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I wonder if we’ll now see this routine changed again where the decoy actually places the ball on the spot and then once the keeper is set, the actual taker will then approach the ball and respot it and the decoy will head to the edge of the box ?? Hence the keeper shouldn’t be able to go recheck his bottle 

I think if it became apparent that someone else was going to take the kick, the keeper would have every right to wander off and re-set himself. And rightly so.

1 minute ago, Phil Bowman said:

I think if it became apparent that someone else was going to take the kick, the keeper would have every right to wander off and re-set himself. And rightly so.

IFAB are taking steps to stop the keepers wandering off and delaying the kick 

I don’t see why a keeper should be allowed to re prep because the taker changes - the only reason to leave their line would be to take on information 

I guess the best way to deal with this as a taker is to be so good as to always stick it into the side netting at pace or to vary your kicks so no information will be helpful to the GK

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

IFAB are taking steps to stop the keepers wandering off and delaying the kick 

I don’t see why a keeper should be allowed to re prep because the taker changes - the only reason to leave their line would be to take on information 

I guess the best way to deal with this as a taker is to be so good as to always stick it into the side netting at pace or to vary your kicks so no information will be helpful to the GK

Stopping keepers wandering off once the taker has placed the ball and stepped back is one thing. I'm all for that. But as soon as someone else steps up to spot the ball the whole procedure would be restarting.

I agree about taking penalties though. If you just whack it, six inches inside the post, nobody's stopping it anyway. Plus you don't look like such a dick if you miss. Stuttery runups and Panenkas aren't worth it, you look such an arse when they go wrong.

On 01/05/2023 at 22:47, STUHILL said:

Iheanacho takes that if not injured and likely scores. I think Vardy should have stepped up and done his usual by putting his laces through it. 

If Madders scores, we win and everyone lavishes praise on him for stepping up. Shocking penalty though and the fact that Pickford had it written down to stay central, should embarrass Maddison tbh. Top player being so predictable that a keeper can just wait there for you to hit it right at him. Shambles.

Absolutely this. And not just for Maddison and Leicester.

This water bottle thing keepers so shouldn’t work as it means the taker is being predictable. Look at Haaland l’s pen at Fulham at the weekend. Keeper went the right way but was never getting it because it was so good into the corner. A mixture of technique and ice cool mentality. Be able to put it left or right, high or low. Then it won’t make a bit of difference what the keepers bottle says as saving it will be dumb luck or fantastic anticipation in that moment!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Absolutely this. And not just for Maddison and Leicester.

This water bottle thing keepers so shouldn’t work as it means the taker is being predictable. Look at Haaland l’s pen at Fulham at the weekend. Keeper went the right way but was never getting it because it was so good into the corner. A mixture of technique and ice cool mentality. Be able to put it left or right, high or low. Then it won’t make a bit of difference what the keepers bottle says as saving it will be dumb luck or fantastic anticipation in that moment!

Didn't Haaland boot one over the bar recently. Not everyone is infallable.

22 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Didn't Haaland boot one over the bar recently. Not everyone is infallable.

Maybe, and yes you could pick any player and find a penalty in their career they have missed if trying to make a point.

I’m not sure how that relates to the point I was making about not being predictable though?

46 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

This water bottle thing keepers so shouldn’t work as it means the taker is being predictable

No it doesn't. It just has the percentages of where they put penalties. It's still a game of bluff and double bluff - 'I go left most often, he'll know that, but I know he'll know that, but he knows I know he'll know that...'

2 hours ago, Phil Bowman said:

No it doesn't. It just has the percentages of where they put penalties. It's still a game of bluff and double bluff - 'I go left most often, he'll know that, but I know he'll know that, but he knows I know he'll know that...'

I get what you’re saying but to an extent, you are just making my point anyway.

I get it’s easier said than done, but if as a penalty taker, you mix it up to the extent there is no ‘he goes that way most often’, it would make it very hard to predict or bluff/double bluff. Of course it’s not just the way you go as well but the height.

32 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I get what you’re saying but to an extent, you are just making my point anyway.

I get it’s easier said than done, but if as a penalty taker, you mix it up to the extent there is no ‘he goes that way most often’, it would make it very hard to predict or bluff/double bluff. Of course it’s not just the way you go as well but the height.

True - but then it just comes down to 'He went left last time against me, will he do the same again...?' so still bluff/double bluff/triple bluff!

To be honest, it's probably best to take a good run up and just belt the bloody thing as hard as you can. If you don't know quite where it's going then the keeper doesn't either, and if you hit it hard enough there's a good chance it goes in anyway. Plus I'd rather miss that way than trying a panenka after a stop-start run up - at least you wouldn't look like such a complete tit!

21 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Madders has never put the gym work in.... like grealish and rashford etc.   I think he believes he is the finished product. 

He was anonymous last night and in the leeds game (where lazy pundits gave him motm!)

He cost us v bournemouth and again last night. He will leave in the summer and we will be  left with the consequences.   I would welcome a statement of contrition if he is to have any cred with the fans.

I don't think that's fair, no one can tell how hard he works and the commitment/sacrifices he makes. For all we know, he works his arse off to improve. Yes he's not in great form, but that doesn't make him a bad player.

1 hour ago, Phil Bowman said:

True - but then it just comes down to 'He went left last time against me, will he do the same again...?' so still bluff/double bluff/triple bluff!

To be honest, it's probably best to take a good run up and just belt the bloody thing as hard as you can. If you don't know quite where it's going then the keeper doesn't either, and if you hit it hard enough there's a good chance it goes in anyway. Plus I'd rather miss that way than trying a panenka after a stop-start run up - at least you wouldn't look like such a complete tit!

Agree about just hit it. That’s probably the reason Vardy has better success than most for us in recent memory! Compare to Kermorgant for example who looked a right knob! Whereas Waghorn in the same shootout not so much as at least he went up and hit it hard and it was a great save!

Thinking generally about penalties throughout the season, maybe it’s a good idea to rotate so that it’s harder for patterns to build up as well. If 6 penalties over a season say, had been taken by 3 different players, who in turn had not gone in the same place each time, it would seem very random and unpredictable :dunno:

It does feel that we have an awful record from them which is frustrating.

You know what, he’s done some great things for us. 

Like Rodgers though, I struggle to warm to him. I think it’s because of the situations like the penalty at Everton, or the number of terrible corners he’s taken. You could have asked the entirety of Foxestalk and over 90% would have stated they didn’t want him taking that spot kick. 

• Like 3

Looking back at seasons end we have lost many points from winning positions but maybe the missed penalty and his ridiculous blind pass to lose against Bournemouth will be best remembered as the final nail - or two.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jerry said:

Looking back at seasons end we have lost many points from winning positions but maybe the missed penalty and his ridiculous blind pass to lose against Bournemouth will be best remembered as the final nail - or two.

Would be really harsh to blame Maddison for relegation if those 2 moments do end up contributing to us going down. Let's face it, without his goals and assists this season we'd already be relegated anyway. We need to keep backing him, Barnes and Youri. None are in great current form but they are the 3 players most likely to do things that deliver the points we need to stay up. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Would be really harsh to blame Maddison for relegation if those 2 moments do end up contributing to us going down. Let's face it, without his goals and assists this season we'd already be relegated anyway. We need to keep backing him, Barnes and Youri. None are in great current form but they are the 3 players most likely to do things that deliver the points we need to stay up. 

Would be more sanguine about the situation if I believed Maddison and Tielemans had more long term commitment rather than the next option available to them. Naive of me know especially in today's world.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sly said:

You know what, he’s done some great things for us. 

Like Rodgers though, I struggle to warm to him. I think it’s because of the situations like the penalty at Everton, or the number of terrible corners he’s taken. You could have asked the entirety of Foxestalk and over 90% would have stated they didn’t want him taking that spot kick. 

I can imagine as soon as he stepped up almost everyone knew what was going to happen. He just doesn't cope with or handle pressure well at all.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dames said:

I can imagine as soon as he stepped up almost everyone knew what was going to happen. He just doesn't cope with or handle pressure well at all.

Maybe why Southgate hasn’t trusted him in fairness. 

4 hours ago, jerry said:

I had no confidence in him scoring that penalty, but if it is the final nail in our prem coffin, there were already about 1,000 nails hammered in earlier in the season.  We won't be relegated due to those two incidents.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Death by Football said:

I had no confidence in him scoring that penalty, but if it is the final nail in our prem coffin, there were already about 1,000 nails hammered in earlier in the season.  We won't be relegated due to those two incidents.

Without Maddison we'd probably be virtually relegated already, so I can't get too angry with him about the penalty, as poor as it was. He stepped up but missed - it happens. However I think we have every right to ask why Vardy didn't take it given his long track record of scoring high pressure penalties. Smith's answer after the game was evasive and didn't make any sense. I suspect that the penalty taker hierarchy was something that just hadn't been discussed behind the scenes, but he didn't want to admit that. 

If we survive, the missed penalty against Everton will quickly be forgotten. If we go down by one or two points, it will talked about for years.

4 hours ago, Sly said:

Maybe why Southgate hasn’t trusted him in fairness. 

Might be something to it. He's clearly a match winner but only in low pressure games. 

I don't think there's been a single high pressure game with something more than 3pts at stake since he's been here and he's performed higher than a 6/10.

Isn't going down the middle statistically the most sensible option anyway? You just look like a tit if they don't dive.

The mistake is letting maddison take one given the fact he will have taken penalties against Pickford in England training. Going down the middle is better if you're an unknown entity.

Vardy should be taking it all day, but for me it's on Smith more than Maddison.

• Like 4