Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

6 hours ago, shen said:

This just comes across as petty and spiteful, to me at least.

Firstly, it's not like we're blessed with great penalty takers currently. I don't mind our top scorer taking it.

Secondly, the season doesn't boil down to one game - conversely his missed penalty is not the sole or main reason we're going down, but I suppose it's a vivid memory that conveniently encapsulates a terrible season all around.

Thirdly, we have examples of players being major contributors to success (and this can be rated as successes) but being disliked by many, i.e. Mahrez, Brown, Chilwell even Kanté. And we also have examples of popular players being major parts of relegationed sides, i.e. Izzet, Savage, Taggart, Fryatt, Hume , Ferdinand, Walker, Sinclair etc.
You rarely see any of the latter have their failures taint their legacy.

Petty, spiteful AND nasty. When you reach a point where you need and want to hope that the best player in the squad gets an injury so you won't have to bear his presence any longer...that's just an infantile tantrum. Is this what being a City fan is about?

Anyone with any sense can see who and what dragged the squad to this position - Rodgers was the inept manager who took the team to the verge of disaster and Top is the inept decision maker who let him do so.

I'd be pissed off if I was any one of the players who'd been left in the lurch by such monumental mismanagement by men who were supposed to be good at their jobs.

Madders is way down on the list of those the finger-pointers should be targeting. In fact there are only two players who've consistently failed their teammates. The rest have just been let down by that bloke who's been doing impressions of being the manager - for the last two seasons. The bloke who ran out of ideas a long time ago. I hoped Smith would at least have some kind of galvanising effect, but it would take a Guardiola figure to even begin to effect a recovery. 

Don't blame the workers, blame the bosses.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Petty, spiteful AND nasty. When you reach a point where you need and want to hope that the best player in the squad gets an injury so you won't have to bear his presence any longer...that's just an infantile tantrum. Is this what being a City fan is about?

Anyone with any sense can see who and what dragged the squad to this position - Rodgers was the inept manager who took the team to the verge of disaster and Top is the inept decision maker who let him do so.

I'd be pissed off if I was any one of the players who'd been left in the lurch by such monumental mismanagement by men who were supposed to be good at their jobs.

Madders is way down on the list of those the finger-pointers should be targeting. In fact there are only two players who've consistently failed their teammates. The rest have just been let down by that bloke who's been doing impressions of being the manager - for the last two seasons. The bloke who ran out of ideas a long time ago. I hoped Smith would at least have some kind of galvanising effect, but it would take a Guardiola figure to even begin to effect a recovery. 

100% agree with your point on Madders, however, let’s not pretend the players don’t share as much blame as BR and the Board.

Fcuking awful.

Someone looks at it on paper he’s still scoring and creating. However he’s not been as good as he was before he went to play for England in march.

He has set himself such high standards he gets stuck when it’s not working.

Always speaks honestly it does seem to matter to him. But it’s not been good enough from him and others for a long time now.

16 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

The reason for the anger being directed at him isn’t that he’s not had a good season, it’s that when it has really counted for us in a Leicester shirt he’s been nowhere to be seen.

He’s going to have made the best part of £20m from this football club in the last 4 years without a single moment where he’s come up clutch for us when it has really really mattered. 

He’s then got the audacity to say ‘we’ll be fine’ after Southampton & come out with those comments yesterday. 

I am sure he makes his comments with the best of motives but you gotta read the room.

The players have stank the place out for 12-18 mths.  They have top facilities and pay and we don’t want to hear excuses.

Everton and F*rest have fought in recent weeks where we have been missing in action.

Edited by JimmyC74
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gerblod said:

Please point out where i said I wanted him injured? I would much rather Maddison got his head down, worked hard and put in the team performance of his life against Liverpool. However, i don't see it and predict we will get the same arguing with the ref / falling over outside the box - poor corners and free kicks. Would love him to prove me wrong.

All i was doing was holding his performances to account. When you do this, the comebacks (which are fair) are always about him being our best player and carrying the team. He has not carried the team this year and has been poor, but people don't want to hear this, because he is our star asset. Our brief spell before the wold cup saw the whole team raise their game and us actually keep some clean sheets. It was not only down to Maddison but he was a contributor. But he has come back from that World Cup and barely put in a performance, and topped this off with some selfish and very, very costly moments where we needed him to show far more maturity.  

I think he's actually been a bit unfairly criticised for his interview, and it was interesting to hear of Radio 5 this morning the presenters defending him on his behalf. The issue is the choice of words (not hungry enough) are Brendanisms and largely meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Not 'hungry enough' is up there with 'lacked intensity'. 

Edited by Chelmofox

Had every fan in his corner rooting for him, fighting his case in those 18 months leading to the World Cup.

For all the good that's happened, when the club have needed him the most in this dogfight, that spark just hasn't been there. Goes for a lot of players this season but Madders was my favourite in that he'd keep probing, looking to make things happen.

He lead by example in the past but I feel somewhat disconnected to that player now

1 hour ago, daddylonglegs said:

The reason for the anger being directed at him isn’t that he’s not had a good season, it’s that when it has really counted for us in a Leicester shirt he’s been nowhere to be seen.

He’s going to have made the best part of £20m from this football club in the last 4 years without a single moment where he’s come up clutch for us when it has really really mattered. 

He’s then got the audacity to say ‘we’ll be fine’ after Southampton & come out with those comments yesterday. 

100% this. He’ll do well in a team where he has to bear little responsibility so ironically he’ll do better at Man City than he would Spurs. He can’t handle being the main man. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

Had every fan in his corner rooting for him, fighting his case in those 18 months leading to the World Cup.

For all the good that's happened, when the club have needed him the most in this dogfight, that spark just hasn't been there. Goes for a lot of players this season but Madders was my favourite in that he'd keep probing, looking to make things happen.

He lead by example in the past but I feel somewhat disconnected to that player now

I genuinely think it doesn't help that there's so much mediocrity around him. He can try as hard as he can to do what he does but there are other passengers in the team that just do not pull their weight enough, or at least consistently enough. 

Maddison isn't immune to criticism, as he's had some shockers. But when you weigh up his goal involvements and contributions to the team compared to everyone else, he's not really high up on the list to have a go at. Probably a victim of trying too hard too many times but when you are the main creator in the team, that will happen. 

I feel that penalty miss will weigh heavy on his shoulders for some time to come. 

• Like 1

The downside of not following the normal media trained answer route in interviews is that he occasionally puts his foot right in it. I think people misinterpreted what he said after Southampton, and it was more that he couldn't stand there and say "I put it on a plate for Kel today and he focked it". 

As proven yesterday, anyone could have missed that penalty too.

I think he's been a bit of a conundrum for us. Clearly he will work well in a possession focussed team, which is probably why he liked it under Brendan. But when you want to counter and move the ball quickly he can be a bit slow and flashy. Having said that, we'd already have the R against our name without him this season.

10 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Yes - that Dean Smith. News for you - what he said was calculated nonsense. Dean's job isn't to build a long term team here. It was to get a short term reaction out of the squad to try and keep them up. Maddison is the prized asset, and Dean has talked a bit of nonsense to paper over cracks to keep Maddison on side. Madders was selfish against Everton. If it worked, it would have been amazing. As it turned out, Madders wasn't good enough to convert that selfishness into a result. 

I said before i've loved watching him when he's been at his best. There is some nonsense going around that he's carried the team this year. He hasn't. Over the course of 35 games he's been poor, and since the world cup he's been terrible and shown a poor attitude. He's been a big contributing factor in our predicament (as Youri has been too), because he is seen as the prized asset and the team has been built around him. He is a big reason why the midfield is so weak, and the constant falling over and arguing with officials isn't working.

Looking at what the big 6 demand, he is going to struggle. Good luck to him -i hope he does well, but his moments of madness this last few months have hurt us badly.

Have you got any proof that Dean Smith has lied about saying Maddison was on penalty duties or is it just personal prejudice? 

54 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Have you got any proof that Dean Smith has lied about saying Maddison was on penalty duties or is it just personal prejudice? 

Not sure where you are getting personal prejudice from? I've praised the bloke when he's warranted it. But its now time to call him out that he continuously doesn't show up when needed and the chips are down. Using the 'he saved our asses' praise doesn't work now. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Willsan1 said:

“It is tough. No easy game in the Premier League - it is a cliche but so true.” 

Disagree, Fulham had a nice easy game yesterday. They would have turned up expecting a battle, must have been pissing themselves at half time. 

Agreed. From camera pans to the crowd I saw a man asleep and another on the phone. Nicest ‘day out’ crowd in the Prem and we let them batter us for five. This team are a bunch of ***** 

Maddison is such a frustrating conundrum in that he's quite clearly our most talented player, has made as big a contribution as anyone to our (admittedly dismal) points total, but I feel he's been seduced by the generally positive feedback he's got from his TV interview interactions.

Yes, he's a million miles away from the monotone cavemen we have to suffer post match - however, his general demeanour over these crucial games has been spectacularly misjudged by himself. I was honestly staggered to see him circa 45 minutes before the Leeds game with a mic in his hand having a cosy chat with the BT pundits on the pitch - why isn't he just getting his head down, but more pertinently, why isn't someone in the club telling him to keep shtum,  focus on his performance - that for me speaks volumes about us being a rudderless ship with no steel and no accountability. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Not sure where you are getting personal prejudice from? I've praised the bloke when he's warranted it. But its now time to call him out that he continuously doesn't show up when needed and the chips are down. Using the 'he saved our asses' praise doesn't work now. 

Youve accused him of taking the penalty for his own selfish gains and said he hasnt been a key player for us not being relegated yet? Id say theres a strong chance you dont like him 😂

Can't see the point in turning on Maddison. He really isn't the main problem or even in our top 100 problems right now. He's just not a player suited to a relegation battle You need people who will run, scrap and fight and he's just not that player. To be fair to him, for all of the complaints that he hasn't stepped up over recent games, he has had 4 goal involvements in the last 3 games. 

• Like 2