Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

This!

He's a show pony..

All very well when the teams winning games but completely disappears when he's needed to dig in and fight!  Same applies to Tielemans!!

...be glad to see the back of them both.

Never thought you'd be part of the lynch mob.....

....oh hang on

6 hours ago, weller54 said:

This!

He's a show pony..

All very well when the teams winning games but completely disappears when he's needed to dig in and fight!  Same applies to Tielemans!!

Totally disagree. He looked like he was trying to me on Monday and totally unfair to compare him to Tielemans at his most louche. He's still prone to taking a touch too many and, I think, it's symptomatic of him thinking that he's the guy who can win games for us. When it comes off, he's unplayable, when it doesn't he looks selfish. But he is trying. It isn't his fault the rest of the team is garbage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, weller54 said:

This!

He's a show pony..

Absolutely.  I wouldn't even have Tielemans on the bench.  A player with his lack of commitment when times get tough should be nowhere near the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Totally disagree. He looked like he was trying to me on Monday and totally unfair to compare him to Tielemans at his most louche. He's still prone to taking a touch too many and, I think, it's symptomatic of him thinking that he's the guy who can win games for us. When it comes off, he's unplayable, when it doesn't he looks selfish. But he is trying. It isn't his fault the rest of the team is garbage.

He's not looked unplayable for a long time now. Can't remember much since the world cup which is a huge % of the season. I agree he is trying hard, but too hard and at times to the determent of everything going around him. Very little is coming off, and he is taking pretty much all the free kicks and corners from one side.

As for the team, remind me which player was missing in our last win? Part of our problem is the team incorporating our best player in everything they do. 

My hope is that Dean can sort Madders head out this week. 

Edited by Chelmofox

12 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Including the 3 goals against Fulham is just bad statistics. Turning up when we are 4-0 down and Fulham are taking the pi55 doesn't count. When we have won 7 games all season, and the most recent of these was when Maddison wasn't even playing, i don't buy into the 'we would be cut adrift without him' crap.  He is a fundamental part of the problem. 

His penalty miss against Everton lately to be included too. which potentially would have put us in a much greater position than we are now had we held on and given us greater confidence going into the Fulham game. 

21 hours ago, Sampson said:

As shit as he’s been he’s still managed 3 assists and 1 goal in the past 3 games. Same with Barnes, they’re not playing well but they’re still scoring and creating goals at a rate that should be winning games if we had even a mediocre PL defence and midfield.

He’s far from the problem here and why people have got their knives out for him above all our players, I find a bit baffling when we’ve got such a shambles defence and midfield behind them. He’s the only reason we aren’t cut way adrift at the bottom.

The likes of Faes, Castagne, Thomas/Kristianson, Tielemans, Ndidi, Dewsbury-Hall, Soumare etc. are all far far bigger a reason as to why we’re down there than Maddison or Barnes, but the latter seem to be taking way more flack.

I agree in some sense, but you've got to look when some of that contribution happened especially recently.  Where are these 'top' players at the start of games? Seems like they are good when there is no pressure and the game is gone.  Out of his 4 contributions you mention two were when we're 4 down against Fulham. If I see him, and the other big players looking hungry and determined from the off I'll change my mind, I'm not seeing that though.

My point is, the bigger players should be bearing the responsibility here and taking the lead, but they aren't. Now we've got underperforming average players and underperforming top players as a result. 

Started with Bodger's belittling the quality of the squad, then being stuck with most of them. The top players seem to hold the same view of their team mates as Bodger's did. So no team spirit anymore. They ain't fighting for each other, end of.  And players like madders and Barnes and Youri should be the ones leading. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

He's not looked unplayable for a long time now. Can't remember much since the world cup which is a huge % of the season.

Reported in the press (DT) that there was ‘lighthearted’ discussion of a move to Newcastle, whilst he was at the WC. 

IMO he’s played well for us since then, if not quite at his best - which could just be symptomatic of low confidence throughout a team that has been in and around the relegation zone. 

On the other hand, at this level it’s a game of such fine margins. Whether Newcastle or another club, if his head has been elsewhere to even the slightest extent, that could explain the drop in form that some have noticed.

Our issue was having so many players in a similar position, the net effect has been disastrous. 

Interestingly, Maddison discussed making the move to Newcastle during the World Cup with goalkeeper Nick Pope and striker Callum Wilson. Although the conversations were lighthearted, both Newcastle players painted a positive picture of life on Tyneside, both from a football and family perspective.

47 minutes ago, squidsworth said:

The top players seem to hold the same view of their team mates as Bodger's did. So no team spirit anymore. They ain't fighting for each other, end of.  And players like madders and Barnes and Youri should be the ones leading. 

.. pretty much this!!!

There is no unity, no one covering for each other, we look like a bunch of individuals out there.

I have just watched the Maddison interview and he was right in regards the spirit shown by his teammates. He stated that defensively we are poor, and caveated, that it meant the whole as opposed to the individuals at the back. We need to defend from the front, we then do not need the midfield to sit off opponents as if the press is broken, teams have a clear run into our defence as we have committed players to the initial press. It was noticeable in his interview that Madders gave little eye contact, his eyes were darting all over the place, if you were that angry about a cause, you would stare the person down.

It would be good to see  the team take the lead in games, we cannot keep going to the well to get back into games, and I suspect a few players have come to the conclusion that it is no longer worth the effort.

• Like 1

Guest Mee-9

His mentality is all over the shop. 

He hasn't got the steel to succeed at the top clubs. He gave up as soon as he put that England shirt on and the England squad whispered in his ear. 

3 hours ago, Mee-9 said:

He hasn't got the steel to succeed at the top clubs. He gave up as soon as he put that England shirt on and the England squad whispered in his ear. 

What did they whisper in his ear 'play like sh1t James and you'll keep getting selected' 

• Haha 1

On 10/05/2023 at 10:26, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah his tweet was moronic and seems symptomatic of the "we'll be fine" club culture, been off post-WC, but he's been our best player this season and we've all heard more from him than the club-captain, vice-captain, the older heads or the owner as we slide towards the npower.

He's also giving everything as far as I can tell. 

People are just weird. If he doesn't try he's downed tools, if he does try he's only trying to impress so he gets a move away. There's a whole section of our fanbase for whom he literally can't win. 

I don't think he should have taken that penalty against Everton but he stood up and took responsibility when others didn't. 

He's shown more fight and anger than most of the rest of the players over the last few months, frequently getting wound up and visibly emotional on the pitch. 

I genuinely don't understand how anyone's ever decided he doesn't care tbh. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

People are just weird. If he doesn't try he's downed tools, if he does try he's only trying to impress so he gets a move away. There's a whole section of our fanbase for whom he literally can't win. 

I don't think he should have taken that penalty against Everton but he stood up and took responsibility when others didn't. 

He's shown more fight and anger than most of the rest of the players over the last few months, frequently getting wound up and visibly emotional on the pitch. 

All stems from his funny backpacks I think 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

didnt he take the ball of tielemans to take the pen?

18 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I do sometimes wonder if some posters are actually bots…

I think the idea being in the England squad had somehow ruined him is ridiculous, just to clarify as I realise my post was somewhat flippant.  

Same with the idea he hasn't got the mentality to be a top player.  

I personally think his drop off has been a combination of confidence, lack of, that injury he had and if anything trying too hard in games to make things happen.  It can and does happen to the best players.   

He does seem to struggle to find form after a niggling injury and unfortunately for us that has come at a bad time.  

I personally have loved having him play for the club and I fear it will be a long time before we see a player of his natural ability play for us again. 

• Like 1

People want him to play the simple pass to players like Ndidi (who'll lose it) VK (who'll chip a nothing ball up the line) or whoever is on the RW (who'll get tackled)

If he's not playing the killer ball in this useless team I honestly don't blame him for not passing. We have to be the least technically gifted team in the league. Youri and Madders aside, I have little faith in any of our starting 11 making even a simple pass.

3 hours ago, Mee-9 said:

I think its more subtle than that. He does give a shit, but being the big fish and having much of it built around him actually brings out too much responsibility in him. He's become like that guy in the tech team that wants to write every line of code himself, and work all weekend to finish a project, but doesn't realise that the best thing for the company is to use the resources around him better.

I think to get the best out of him Rodgers went the extra mile to make him feel better, really bigging him up and pandering to his amazing football brain (someone said they used to stay up late talking about football - im sure they kept their clothes on). Possession football suits Madders approach and i think slowing play down suited his injury issues, so presume they both really bought into the setup. Problem is, Madders has largely been brainwashed by it all, and I think too much time has been spend with the overall team to rely on him.

We've ended up at a sh1tstorm moment where

• the team behave like they are reliant on him, and he plays like they are reliant on him
  • he is feeling the pressure too much
  • he's making poor decisions because of it all
  • he's a bit of a cocky d1ck and approaches things with a lame attitude
  • and to top it all off, he's not playing very well to warrant any of the above happening

He is our best player, but i strongly disagree he has been our best player in this season. I think he has played in 6 games we have won this season - so noone deserves the moniker of 'best player'. 

14 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

The last time he looked unplayable was before the World Cup whilst busting a gut to getting a seat on the plane! Notwithstanding injury, coincidence?

When was the last time we saw Tielemans busting a gut?

10 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

I think the idea being in the England squad had somehow ruined him is ridiculous, just to clarify as I realise my post was somewhat flippant.  

Same with the idea he hasn't got the mentality to be a top player.  

I personally think his drop off has been a combination of confidence, lack of, that injury he had and if anything trying too hard in games to make things happen.  It can and does happen to the best players.   

He does seem to struggle to find form after a niggling injury and unfortunately for us that has come at a bad time.  

I personally have loved having him play for the club and I fear it will be a long time before we see a player of his natural ability play for us again. 

I agree, apologies if you thought I was suggesting you were a bot as I was not  lol

• Like 1