Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

3 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

With all due respect - thats nonsense and if true then he should be dropped for not using the team around him properly.  The winner against Wolves was Soumare playing a quick ball to VK who played a quick cross in for the winner. The number of times VK has made that run and noone has passed to him drives me crazy. Yet one day im sat at the KP in H block and right in front of me i actually see it happen.  If Madders got it instead of Soumare, he would have help up the ball, slowed down play, done his turns and played for a free kick.

Football is a numbers game. As you saw with Everton - if they (Everton) throw everything at it and re-press then you stand more chance converting opportunities. Not making a progressive pass because you are worried about losing possesion is prime Rodgers ball. 

I sometimes think LCFC need Madders out of the club so we can reassess what football actually is.

Correct. And Maddison (alongside Barnes and Iheanacho) have been putting up numbers far, far beyond anybody in a team that's been awful around him/them for 18 to 24 months now.

Ludicrous that people actually want him gone.

"He can only perform when the pressure is off" well... the rest of the team fail to perform, pressure or not.

I agree my original opinion might have been a little harsh, but I stick by my view that we have a technically substandard team.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I don't think he should have taken that penalty against Everton but he stood up and took responsibility when others didn't. 

...if you believe Smith, then he (Maddison)was the elected penalty taker on the night, as Nacho was no longer on the pitch!!!

How you can say, nobody else was prepared to step up, I do not know?

6 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

With all due respect - thats nonsense and if true then he should be dropped for not using the team around him properly.  The winner against Wolves was Soumare playing a quick ball to VK who played a quick cross in for the winner. The number of times VK has made that run and noone has passed to him drives me crazy. Yet one day im sat at the KP in H block and right in front of me i actually see it happen.  If Madders got it instead of Soumare, he would have help up the ball, slowed down play, done his turns and played for a free kick.

Football is a numbers game. As you saw with Everton - if they (Everton) throw everything at it and re-press then you stand more chance converting opportunities. Not making a progressive pass because you are worried about losing possesion is prime Rodgers ball. 

I sometimes think LCFC need Madders out of the club so we can reassess what football actually is.

My brother in Christ if I wasn't me I'd think you were me, I've spouted this to everyone that would listen for a very long while now 

Overhyped by whom? If it’s people in here, it’s a fan trait to sometimes over praise as it is to over criticise. He has been ok, better than most, looks ready to leave as we are crap, he has been below his best, but a poor team full of of zero confidence will do that. People just like to rage against those who have been excellent in the past when they are not I guess.

• Like 1

Just now, Lambert09 said:

Id say the truth lies somewhere in-between you both. 

Sometimes he holds on too long. Sometimes its warranted  and he squeezes away and creates a chance that wouldnt exist without him. 

I dont agree in anyway, shape or form that wed be better without him. Thats complete nonsense. 

Our best attacking football and only win came without him so I'll leave you with that 

34 minutes ago, Thebluefox85 said:

Maddison is so over hyped Brendan has also completely deluded the lad the stuff he comes out with is laughable! He’s a ok half decent player world class because he’s English! But let’s get it right this lad couldn’t lace mahrezs boots fact! 

Maddison and Mahrez are completely different players they don’t even play the same position 🤦🏻‍♂️

On 10/05/2023 at 16:17, weller54 said:

This!

He's a show pony..

All very well when the teams winning games but completely disappears when he's needed to dig in and fight!  Same applies to Tielemans!!

...be glad to see the back of them both.

Don't agree with you at all. People been giving him pelters and youri to an extent also. It's easy to look good in a great team. its very hard to look good in a shit team with no balance. Half, no probably most of the season he hasn't played as a real number 10. He's supposed to get  between the lines and pull the strings but by the time the ball gets to him he could have had half hour between the sheets. Imo this has impacted youri, who i think is better deeper  picking the ball up and dictating play. It's been so  slow and shit around them you could have pirlo and marradona there and we'd  still look shit. Options are limited  if not zero. We have zero  defensive cover in the middle  as ndidi  has been awful. Soumare  has ten minutes when he feels like it. Barnes has 1 in 5 when he fancies it leaving a lone isolated striker. We have needed an enforcer to let the lad flourish. Mahrez was great at topiary but you wouldn't  see him barrowing shit to make the hedge grow. Hoddle didn't get enough England caps because he wasn't a work horse. Doesn't mean  he was a show pony.

• Like 1

I feel there is short memories, when Bodgers was here, he was passing it to players like Ndidi, guess what, we kept losing the ball.  He is now finally after months of waiting dribbling the ball up the pitch and I say about ******* time.

What he is doing once in the opponents box, yes not the best decision making, but I think there is a couple of issues here.

The first one being he is not the only one, Barnes and others are equally making poor decisions up there, and in addition he now gets marked much more heavily.

The marking problem gets solved if we have another player in the team the opponent considers as dangerous then they have to focus on that player as well, sadly Tete hasnt come good, Barnes has too many cold moments, Nacho is injured.

I do think the WC unsettled him though, and this is something that concerns me whenever any of our players are picked for the England squad as it messes with their heads.

• Like 2

He's a wonderful player who struggles at the business end of the season.

We know that we have issues with balance, work-rate, conviction, slow starts, and - arguably to a lesser extent - quality. But the problems are spread out across the first team squad. It's not a case of Faes/Amartey etc. = BAD whereas a happy few are playing their part. The lack of quality, for instance, isn't always coming from the same place as, say, the lack of nerve. In other words, Maddison contributes more than most, but his weaknesses are also a hallmark of what we are now.

Maddison starts games slowly. He's dropped off badly when we should have been securing top 4 finishes (twice) and when we needed to steer clear of the drop. With disastrous consequences. The one great opportunity which we didn't blow was the FA Cup, in which he didn't start. The blame can't be laid at Maddison's door for all of this, but he has been the player that this team was built around, and in many ways he epitomises our current incarnation. A technically splendid individual who can look very good, often when it doesn't really count, but who can also lack commitment and conviction.

And those comments... Well done lads for working so hard when nobody gets to see it. If this represents 'fight' and good, honest hard work, then every time we've seen the team outbattled by teams who show a bit of urgency and intent our eyes must have been deceiving us. If he's ever going to play a major part in someone else's serious success, he's going to get the shock of his life when a top manager actually informs him that his notion of hard work, collaboration and bravery is miles off anyone else's. Yes, he's often looked better than the rest. Yes, he's a big talent. No, he's not the principal source of our woes, nor anywhere near. But the latest comments confirmed to me that he really is the standard-bearer, on and off the pitch, for what we've become.

Edited by inckley fox
  • Like 1

Maddison gives 100% and has been great for us in the majorityvof games.

But we're a poor team due to neglect and incompetence.

He will  be found out as  massivley over rated.He slows the play down which is a poor trait in good teams.

. Good luck to him  though,

as his outcome should still be better than Danny Drinkwater and he owes us nothing.

On 11/05/2023 at 12:56, Chelmofox said:

Yes, Madders here might be the Ronaldo at Man. Utd syndrome earlier this season a wee bit! 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Last 14;

L

L

L

L

L

D

L

L

L

L

W (Maddison ill)

D

D

L

Yes - BUT he's our best player and without him we would be fuched.  

Flippancy aside, he is due a good performance.  I hope Monday is the night he can rid himself of the Rodgers disease that has inhabited him this year. Play 'with' the team, don't hold up play so much, stop arguing with the ref and stop falling over all the time. Would be nice to see one of those seat pieces actually do something as well.

3 hours ago, cropstonfox said:

Maddison gives 100% and has been great for us in the majorityvof games.

But we're a poor team due to neglect and incompetence.

He will  be found out as  massivley over rated.He slows the play down which is a poor trait in good teams.

. Good luck to him  though,

as his outcome should still be better than Danny Drinkwater and he owes us nothing.

He’s scored 10 goals in 27 games this season, from midfield. He got double figures last season. Let’s be honest, he won’t be found out. And slowing play down can be changed by a manager, you only have to look at how good managers like Pep and Klopp change and improve players.

• Like 4

Taking out any emotion after his poorly timed/worded messages “not hungry enough” sheesh.

I think it’s fair to say that the praise and criticism that he’s currently getting are both OTT.

Yes he has scored 10 goals but they do appear to be when the pressure is off so not sure it’s as an impressive stat that people like to make out.

Whilst as others said about him holding onto the ball, when he gets his big move….he’ll quickly learn he’s one of many shiny toys so has to become more of a team player or not get as many minutes as he thinks he deserves.

His biggest issue will be his weak hips though as sometimes he looks like he can’t run or even kick a ball further than 12 yards.

An interesting little insight into James’ psyche was a snippet of a pre match interview where he went on to say the biggest pressure he feels is the consequences of normal working people within the club, losing their jobs because of relegation.