Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

4 hours ago, Sammytielemans8 said:

Would we be fuched without him though mate? We will never know. Maddison’s best position is number 10. The thing is I think kel does a better job there. 

im genuinely not sure where he gets his reputation from. Overhyped ridiculously. 

The hype he got pre England games was merited but his form since as been no where near the level as before. Top class players have a bad game now and again but he’s been off it a while now so I don’t think he’s that level yet. He’s still our best player but like the rest of them he don’t have the mentality for a scrap at the bottom.

• Like 1

He’s actually not been that good for us. Was average for our team under Brendan when we were at our best under him challenging for champions league, didn’t play in FA Cup final etc. Didn’t score more that 7 in a season.

Has been our best player when we have been poor. Defo nowhere near a Mahrez and goes missing any time we properly need him (I.e. now)

Good player bur won’t be remembered as anything particularly special. Could do without his entitlement and dickheadery on social media. Less we forget his lockdown party before West Ham which possibly cost the club champions league football

• Like 3

I actually don’t even understand the criticism Maddison seems to be received compared to the rest of the players, considering when we have seen quality this season it has generally come via Maddison.

We’ve seen Kante and Mahrez move and win trophies. We will see Maddison do the same, he is quality and we will miss him.

Remember that Maddison once played for us, when we’re praising players for the bare minimum next season away at Rotherham.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dickov22 said:

Closest we’ve had to Mahrez since he left to join Man City and win loads of trophies. Anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn’t see football the way I do.

He’ll be class wherever  he ends up. FACT 

Completely different players I never get this debate. 

• Like 3

Technically Mahrez was on another level to every player we’ve ever had. I recall an interview with Maddison and he stated Ghezzel was the most technical player at the club. 

Maddison is a different player altogether and you can’t compare the two. He’s individually our best player, however I’m not sure he’s our best team player. 

If that makes sense. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I actually don’t even understand the criticism Maddison seems to be received compared to the rest of the players, considering when we have seen quality this season it has generally come via Maddison.

We’ve seen Kante and Mahrez move and win trophies. We will see Maddison do the same, he is quality and we will miss him.

Remember that Maddison once played for us, when we’re praising players for the bare minimum next season away at Rotherham.

Dunno how people can say “Maddison has not actually been that good for us” with a straight face, but people are just in their knives out mode for Maddison right now. They’ll calm down in a few years.

Read this thread just before Mahrez left when people had their knives out for Mahrez and you’ll find all the same things about Mahrez that people are saying about Maddison now - he’s overrated, living off a good 6 months in the title season, had 6 good games in the previous 2 years, never shows up when it matters, we’re better without him etc.

This was after that Claude Puel season where we had zero creativity and it was only Vardy and Mahrez’ individual moments of greatness that dragged us to midtable as well

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

Wonderful talent. But when you really need him to come through for you he shrinks away from it. Don't wish him any ill will but I won't remember him with much fondness, if at all. Our biggest achievement during his time here was the FA Cup winning campaign, and he only played 165 minutes of that. 3 games left to change that narrative.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Completely different players I never get this debate. 

Different players, yes. My point was, Mahrez is world class and he’s the most gifted player I’ve ever seen play for us.

Maddison is the closest I’ve seen to getting anywhere near that level since Mahrez left. He’s not Mahrez, but he’s a superb talent and he’ll look so much better next season when he’s playing in a better side. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sammytielemans8 said:

I definetly see football differently to you mate. 

He’s miles off Mahrez. Mahrez glided past defenders, almost messi-esque. I’ve only seen that in glimpses from maddison. Mahrezs influence on games was far more influential than maddison. For me, there is no comparison. Mahrez was that good. Yes he could be a touch lazy from time to time but he was a game changer. 

for me, maddison is overhyped massively. He’s a good player but not the hype he receives. 

He’s nowhere near as good as Mahrez, agree. But he’s the closest we’ve had to a player of Mahrez’s quality since he left. 

He’ll be superb next season in a better team. He’s so far off the rest of our lot, it must frustrate him playing with them sometimes. He’s literally the one everyone looks to, every single time,  to create something for us. 

24 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I was being sarcastic. Every time Maddison puts in one of the sh1te performances I am reminded by someone how brilliant he is and we would really be in the dog turd without him. Looks great in the highlight real with his twists and turns and is great at getting assists and goals when the pressure is off (noticed that against Fulham too). The best performance i've seen this team put together was when he was off ill. We looked more balanced and sharper and managed to score 2 goals without him. He does not turn up when it matters. I hope he proves me wrong on Monday but i think im going to see more of the same (slowing down play, arguing with the ref, trying to do everything, falling over cheaply, giving away possession, poor free kicks, corners that come to nothing). 

Agree with another poster that one of the more elite managers will probably work hard to fix his issues, where as i think Rodgers pandered to them because it suited the overall style. Might take a big chunk of his first season away to work on but i reckon someone could resolve then, and if he isn't johnny big balls in a team he might take a step back from behaving like a wally.  But i actually don't care what he does next. He's been a huge contributor to our issues and a big part of us getting relegated. And he's done it Rodgers style, by pulling the wool over peoples eyes.

Undoubtedly has been our best player for the last 18-mths, and IMO the most talented since Mahrez. Has delivered the most goal+assists this season but his form has dipped since the WC and he doesn’t help himself with some of the social media arguments.

our team has lots of problems but Madders ain’t the biggest by any stretch.

Edited by JimmyC74

7 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

Different players, yes. My point was, Mahrez is world class and he’s the most gifted player I’ve ever seen play for us.

Maddison is the closest I’ve seen to getting anywhere near that level since Mahrez left. He’s not Mahrez, but he’s a superb talent and he’ll look so much better next season when he’s playing in a better side. 

Both high level players but Maddison will never get the the level of Mahrez. And yes he’ll look better with better players around him like most do.

13 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

He’s nowhere near as good as Mahrez, agree. But he’s the closest we’ve had to a player of Mahrez’s quality since he left. 

He’ll be superb next season in a better team. He’s so far off the rest of our lot, it must frustrate him playing with them sometimes. He’s literally the one everyone looks to, every single time,  to create something for us. 

Mahrez, Kante and Vardy were world class. 

I do think Maddison will be better with other players around him.

We all know what it’s like playing football even at our level, you play with a load of plodders so you try to make things happen yourself. Stick him in with people he can pass the ball to, knowing it’s more likely to not be lost, he will look a better player. 

He also looked better when he had a fit Tielemans, destroyer Ndidi and work horse Perez playing along side him.

I’d be far happier giving Perez the ball, rather than KDH, or Soumare. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Everyone is coming under criticism. Its just with Maddison there is push back because he's a good player. People are pulling goal contribution stats out of a hat which aren't relevant to the situation we are in as post world cup that haven' arrived when it matters (he had 2 against Fulham!). He deserves as much criticism as everyone else, its just there is Rodgers-esque pash back on that. Its akin to 'careful what you wish for'.

47 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

That comment makes me want to vomit. I will always remember Maddison for his shocking post World Cup performances that was a big contributor to us having to play Rotherham.  If he plays well for Spurs or Newcastle (which i doubt actually), then I will undoubtedly take an interest, but i won't be doing the 'wow - he used to play for us malarkey'. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Everyone is coming under criticism. Its just with Maddison there is push back because he's a good player. People are pulling goal contribution stats out of a hat which aren't relevant to the situation we are in as post world cup that haven' arrived when it matters (he had 2 against Fulham!). He deserves as much criticism as everyone else, its just there is Rodgers-esque pash back on that. Its akin to 'careful what you wish for'.

That comment makes me want to vomit. I will always remember Maddison for his shocking post World Cup performances that was a big contributor to us having to play Rotherham.  If he plays well for Spurs or Newcastle (which i doubt actually), then I will undoubtedly take an interest, but i won't be doing the 'wow - he used to play for us malarkey'. 

People are pushing back because not because his post-world cup form has been amazing, he has been pretty poor since the WC. People are pushing back because there’s people on here saying he genuinely hasn’t been that good for us, is overrated and we’re better off without him citing the single Wolves result, even claiming it was our best performance of the season and that was *because* Maddison wasn’t in the side, which is obviously reactive bullshit. And bizarre conspiracy theories that Dean Smith was lying about him being the designated penalty taker and instead going on bizarre attacks against his character about he arrogantly snatched the ball out of Tielemans hands because he wanted his big moment.

No one is saying in the slightest you can’t think Maddison hasn’t been on it since the World Cup, but the bullshit, bitter and borderline nasty conspiracy theories and trying to make out he’s never been much good for us as we would be a better side without him and that even the managers are publicly lying to “protect his ego” are clearly just horseshit that some Matt Le Tissier-types are going way too deep on because they’re angry with our position.

Edited by Sampson

9 hours ago, Dickov22 said:

Closest we’ve had to Mahrez since he left to join Man City and win loads of trophies. Anyone who thinks otherwise just doesn’t see football the way I do.

He’ll be class wherever  he ends up. FACT 

He’s class but he needs to step up and push  the rest of the team to step up too the way others around us have and are collecting vital points !