Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

1 hour ago, Mawuli said:

Noooo our best chances come through the player who sees most of the ball in the attacking 3rd??? Well I'm shocked, perplexed, astounded, next you'll tell me most of our tackles come from our center backs and Defensive midfielders 

I'm not sure they do.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, smudgerfox said:

The “narrative” at that time was that he’d been a bit of a cocky lad about town but he’d had kids , buckled down to improve his game and worked hard on affecting the outcome of games rather than being more of a decorative luxury who’d occasionally provide a breathtaking moment. 

He’s a great player and his interviews are refreshingly natural.  But when this despicable team has needed his inspiration the most, he’s gone missing on the field  and made il-judged comments off it. That says something about how good he is. 

It's been a shit season, every player poor, yet Maddison has 10 goals in 28 games. That's more than those bought in to actually score goals.

He has 9 asssits, one less than Salah and Mahrez.

Not sure how that is missing on field.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Back when our fans were shouting he should be included in the squad. Now suddenly accoroding to the same posters he's become one of our main problems.

Quite a lot of time and really poor performances have happened between those situations though. I don't think the transition in thinking is unreasonable. 

3 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Above is the answer to this statement.

There is no doubt Maddison is a good and skillfull player, no doubt at all.

I have to question his mental strength a little, he seems easily affected by bad runs etc, possibly not enough strength on the ball at times, realistically he needs to toughen up a bit. On the flip side a lot of presure is put on him to 'perform'.

I quite like the way he talks for a young lad.

I guess his time here is probably done, and it may help him to be in a team of better players.

...he is a very talented player, a game changer and match winner, there is no question!!!

Maddison is very adept at taking the ball under pressure, he is always making himself available and asking for the ball, he is a great asset to have in your team, in footballing terms he is "brave" in possession. 

Rodgers leaving has had an impact that he himself (Maddison) seems unable to shake off, whether he blames the club or his teammates,  he needs to get his head right, and that will not be happening anytime soon.

There is a few demons inside him at the moment and I suspect the end of season cannot come soon enough for him. He has a few big decisions to make in the summer, and at this moment our survival is not paramount in his head. Not to say he doesn't care, just because he has too much going on in his head.

The cynic in me thinks he won’t play particularly well against Toon as he likely wants CL football next season as one of their players. The reasoning side thinks he will play a blinder in order to prove he’s good enough to join them. 

Experience tells me that he will probably have an average game showing just enough flair to get the locals still interested. Be interesting to see how he celebrates if we or he scores! 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

It's been a shit season, every player poor, yet Maddison has 10 goals in 28 games. That's more than those bought in to actually score goals.

I've seen him described as a 'luxury player' too, which I don't think is quite right either.

In a squad with strong leadership on the pitch, proper organisation and players doing their jobs he is an incredible asset.

He's not a captain, despite his lauded media skills - he's an honest player with a great talent who when supported and allowed to play his game will do well.

He's been put into a position where the team around him is shocking and suddenly as the talented one he's had all eyes on him looking for someone to singlehandedly save the season.

It's too much to ask and the whole season's affected him. I bet he cannot wait to GTFO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

And how many goals and assists in the “must win” , “winnable” post World Cup games? His ability is in no doubt. His ability to affect crucial games is….

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

And how many goals and assists in the “must win” , “winnable” post World Cup games? His ability is in no doubt. His ability to affect crucial games is….

That can be applied to all players. Iheanacho missing chance after chance at Southampton for example.

It doesn't all come down to one player. Due to the players being poor there is more pressure on the likes of Maddison.

Edited by Fox92
  • Haha 1

The players got themselves in this situation and only the players can get themselves out. Madders is a gifted player but he’s lost his way this season trying to do too much instead of keeping it simple in s team where most of his team mates have lost confidence and forgotten the basics. He will thrive in a better team just watch and see

29 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

In a league system every game is worth the same though. I don’t understand this argument of not turning up “when it matters” in a league system - a win in October is worth exactly the same and “matters” equally as much as a win in May, it’s not a knock out tournament. And even if you’re talking about 6 pointers both Maddison and Barnes did turn up in crucial 6 pointers vs Forest, West Ham, Everton and Wolves earlier in the season which are just as crucial as the 6 pointers vs Everton a couple of weeks ago.

Despite the fact they’ve had plenty of poor games this season, I’d say over the season Maddison and Barnes are the 2 players who have contributed enough to what should’ve been a side clear of relegation over the course of the season, had their teammates done the same. 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bourbon Fox said:

I've seen him described as a 'luxury player' too, which I don't think is quite right either.

In a squad with strong leadership on the pitch, proper organisation and players doing their jobs he is an incredible asset.

He's not a captain, despite his lauded media skills - he's an honest player with a great talent who when supported and allowed to play his game will do well.

He's been put into a position where the team around him is shocking and suddenly as the talented one he's had all eyes on him looking for someone to singlehandedly save the season.

It's too much to ask and the whole season's affected him. I bet he cannot wait to GTFO.

He has to take responsibility with the rest of the squad for the desperate situation we are in. Yes he’s got good stats but when the going has got tough and it’s been clear that we were well in the relegation mire he’s been as poor as all of our other ‘key’ players and two big individual errors in this run in have lost us some of the points he’d earned us previously. The general feeling from a good proportion of the fans is that after this year we can’t wait for the majority of them to GTFO never mind the players. After 23 defeats we are sick of players clearly intent on leaving, sick of players calling out fans on social media and at the ground, sick of a lack of effort, a lack of fight, a lack of basic fitness. The relegation of a team of this standard will significantly blemish the career of every Leicester City squad member and that sadly includes Madders. 

11 minutes ago, Sampson said:

In a league system every game is worth the same though. I don’t understand this argument of not turning up “when it matters” in a league system - a win in October is worth exactly the same and “matters” equally as much as a win in May, it’s not a knock out tournament. And even if you’re talking about 6 pointers both Maddison and Barnes did turn up in crucial 6 pointers vs Forest, West Ham, Everton and Wolves earlier in the season which are just as crucial as the 6 pointers vs Everton a couple of weeks ago.

Despite the fact they’ve had plenty of poor games this season, I’d say over the season Maddison and Barnes are the 2 players who have contributed enough to what should’ve been a side clear of relegation over the course of the season, had their teammates done the same. 

No one is saying Maddison hasn’t contributed over the season! That his stats are bad! Literally no one is saying that. What some of us ARE saying is that to get out of a relegation dogfight you need your best players affecting games, particularly those high pressure games where lesser players are understandably racked by nerves. Maddison hasn’t done that. 

Your point about all games being equal is crazy. Of course allleagues  games are three points, just as you don’t win a cup competition if you lose in the first round. It’s no different to losing a semi final. But the pressure on those games is very different - loose on the first day of the season and there’s plenty of time to turn it round. Draw with Everton when you could/should have won if you’d converted a penalty, and you’ve dropped two points and gifted a rival one point. In those moments any team needs their best players to demonstrate their superiority. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

No one is saying Maddison hasn’t contributed over the season! That his stats are bad! Literally no one is saying that. What some of us ARE saying is that to get out of a relegation dogfight you need your best players affecting games, particularly those high pressure games where lesser players are understandably racked by nerves. Maddison hasn’t done that. 

Your point about all games being equal is crazy. Of course allleagues  games are three points, just as you don’t win a cup competition if you lose in the first round. It’s no different to losing a semi final. But the pressure on those games is very different - loose on the first day of the season and there’s plenty of time to turn it round. Draw with Everton when you could/should have won if you’d converted a penalty, and you’ve dropped two points and gifted a rival one point. In those moments any team needs their best players to demonstrate their superiority. 

Have you actually even read this thread? Plenty of people literally are saying that. Plenty of posts in here over the past 2-3 weeks that he’s not generally been that good a player for us or that we’re a better side without him, he is a major reason we’re getting relegated as much as any other player or that apparently our 2-1 win against Wolves was our “best attacking performance of the season” *because* Maddison wasn’t involved (completely ignoring the much better attacking performance with Maddison when we thrashed Wolves 4-0 in the reverse fixture for one).

But it’s not crazy is it to state the obvious that all points are the same and matter equally when people are accusing him of not turning up “when it matters” is it? The best players in the world miss penalties and chances in big games all the time too but it affects the outcome a lot less because they have quality teammates alongside them who can make up for it , which we don’t have and it still no less than missing one in October. The point is if the rest of our side had turned up as often over the season as Maddison and to a lesser extent Barnes have, then even with their poor form the past couple of months, it wouldn’t really have mattered as we’d be clear of relegation anyway. 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Shep said:

The cynic in me thinks he won’t play particularly well against Toon as he likely wants CL football next season as one of their players. The reasoning side thinks he will play a blinder in order to prove he’s good enough to join them. 

Experience tells me that he will probably have an average game showing just enough flair to get the locals still interested. Be interesting to see how he celebrates if we or he scores! 

The deal will already be set up unfortunately. It’s not a case of them signing him because he plays well against them. 

You can point the finger at all the others who haven't contributed much of anything positive to the season. But Maddison wants to be the man. He wants to be the star. He wants to take all the set pieces. He wants to be on the ball. He wants to be the player that success or failure depends upon. He wants the responsibility. That's commendable in many ways. But because of that he's going receive a lot of the blame when we do fail. Unfair? Maybe. But that's how it is.

• Like 1

Maddison is a great player I'm not at all arguing that. 

His attitude though the whole time he has been at the club and reportadly whilst he has been at other clubs stinks. He is happy when he has a team around him that makes him look good. 

He doesn't care about leicester

He doesn't care about any club he's been at

He doesn't care about his team mates 

As long as he looks good and gets praise that is all he cares about

And although it doesn't stop he from being a very good player that is not the sort of player I want at my club. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

I have never said that Maddison is solely to blame. Of course other players are to blame. I don’t think that’s a matter of dispute. 
but in these sort of situations you look to your very best players to play a crucial part in turning things around. Vardy in the Great Escape for instance. However good a player he is, and he is a very good player, Maddison has not taken a leadership role in getting us out of this mess. He has not impacted many games since the World Cup. That’s a fact. He’s taken umpteen set pieces which have amounted to the square root of f*** all and he’s missed an unambiguously crucial penalty. He’s dribbled round in circles before falling over lamely at frequent intervals and occasionally he’s played a beautiful pass. He’s a great player but since the World Cup, for Leicester, he hasn’t been. 

3 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

Since the World Cup he has had a couple injuries, but I believe he has played in 14 games and contributed 5 assists and 3 goals in this time frame. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

If you take recent games against our relegation rivals, he got an assist against Leeds and an assist against Everton. Missed a penalty against Everton of course, but Vardy missed one at Fulham.

Our attacking set pieces have been poor for a long team as a team. Regardless of who takes a corner they rarely beat the first man. It's not just Maddison is it.

20 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Since the World Cup he has had a couple injuries, but I believe he has played in 14 games and contributed 5 assists and 3 goals in this time frame. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

If you take recent games against our relegation rivals, he got an assist against Leeds and an assist against Everton. Missed a penalty against Everton of course, but Vardy missed one at Fulham.

Our attacking set pieces have been poor for a long team as a team. Regardless of who takes a corner they rarely beat the first man. It's not just Maddison is it.

This doesn't beat the first man stuff at corners is ridiculous.

Statistically the most corners are now scored from infront of the front post. We hit it into that zone to look for a glancing heading or flick on which is now the most likely way of scoring... and all our fans say is "didn't clear the first man"

Would be happy to see him left out of these two games now and moved on. As others have said, he’s more likely to hinder us than help against Newcastle given he wants to join them.

I don’t trust him to be professional enough to do his job….