Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

Whatever side of the coin you sit on re: Madders, it’s probably fair that some overate him and others under value the lad.

He is our technically most gifted player, should get us the biggest transfer fee but has been poor (like everyone else….when we somehow had a couple of opportunities to get out of this mess).

Two things would make me hesitant if I’m recruitment for a “big” side.

1) his injury record, he seems to still be playing in an awkward fashion because of his hip issues IMO

2) whilst he’s technically very good, his lack of athleticism is a big issue for me…as others said, if he gets crowded out, he holds onto the ball for too long and neither has the pace to get out of trouble nor strength to hold the ball up…his dispossession stats much be quite high (and often in quite dangerous positions).

I’ll miss him but also quite happy that he won’t be winding me up with his moronic tweets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Our attacking set pieces have been poor for a long team as a team. Regardless of who takes a corner they rarely beat the first man. It's not just Maddison is it.

...that is true, and Tielemans is just as poor!!!

There is no reason why someone cannot attack the near post at corners, we line up the same way every corner and yet we cannot score. If 90% of these corners end up at the near post, why has not a single player taken the initiative to either take up a position at the near post or make a late run to get across their defenders?

To be honest he takes a lot of the dead balls and is so limited. Unless it is from 28 yards, he struggles.

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...that is true, and Tielemans is just as poor!!!

There is no reason why someone cannot attack the near post at corners, we line up the same way every corner and yet we cannot score. If 90% of these corners end up at the near post, why has not a single player taken the initiative to either take up a position at the near post or make a late run to get across their defenders?

To be honest he takes a lot of the dead balls and is so limited. Unless it is from 28 yards, he struggles.

So many of our players who were once extremely good are no longer playing anywhere near their level. Tielmans, Maddison, Thomas, Vardy, N’didi to name but a few.

Evidently they are not now all useless players. They are part of a team that is barely a team any longer as confidence has gradually slipped away from them all over the last 18 years.

Doubtless the reasons for this are multi-faceted, but anyone working in a team in which the team leader frequently says the team isn’t good enough is likely to start believing this

3 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

So many of our players who were once extremely good are no longer playing anywhere near their level. Tielmans, Maddison, Thomas, Vardy, N’didi to name but a few.

Evidently they are not now all useless players. They are part of a team that is barely a team any longer as confidence has gradually slipped away from them all over the last 18 years.

Doubtless the reasons for this are multi-faceted, but anyone working in a team in which the team leader frequently says the team isn’t good enough is likely to start believing this

Yeah, they’re all a bunch of limp wristed wimps who need to man up

Maddison and Youri aren't the problem.

The problem is a paper thin back 4 who can't do the basics, add to by two keepers who aren't PL standard.

We have conceded 67 goals so far, we only conceded 91 in the 19/20, 20/21 seasons combined. lol.

Edited by coolhandfox

24 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

The problem is a paper thin back 4 who can't do the basics, add to by two keepers who aren't PL standard.

We have conceded 67 goals so far, we only conceded 91 in the 19/20, 20/21 seasons combined. lol.

I would argue the midfield are as much to blame as our defenders for letting goals in. The midfield don't work hard enough in defence and rarely shield the back 4. Their mistakes often leave our defenders exposed and caught off guard. Tielemans, Maddison, Soumare and N'didi have all made errors this season that led directly to goals. I think our defenders would have performed better, if they had midfielders in front of them that worked harder, did their defensive duties, and didn't make silly mistakes by misplacing passes or getting caught in possession in dangerous areas, and then not tracking back. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

They're part of the problem. Just because they're more gifted doesn't mean they don't personify many of this squad's worst attributes. In fact, if we're talking about the lack of physicality, commitment to the club, or stomach for a fight, then they represent that more than anyone else.

And we can't defend as a team. Our wide players and midfielders - as a result of usually having Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans among their number - have offered no protection all season. Lots of nice little touches, a few super goals and assist as a result of the freedom they're given, but strictly no tracking, no tackling, no pressing.

And it's not like we're talking about the same old culprits in defence. Faes, Amartey, Vestergard, Fofana, Evans, Souttar and, yes, even Soyuncu have all been awful at centre back for us for a long time. And of the full backs, all of Castagne, Thomas, Bertrand, Justin, Kristiansen have looked dreadful. That's nearly three entirely distinct back fours, all of which are consistently rubbish, regardless of the exact combination. Even the keepers - from latter day Schmeichel to Ward and Iversen - are poor.

It's not like we're talking about unseasoned players here either. So, for me, when you have highly-rated players in your defence (most of which have featured in competent defences at this level), but your defence is almost exclusively shocking, regardless of who you play in it, you have to start wondering if something else is going on.

• Like 3

The way he goes down on most counter attacks for a free kick stops us in our tracks alot of the time, it's the opposite of a tactical foul but has the same result. His set piece delivery is overrated too. There's no way we would have won the league with him in that side as we can't counter quick enough. Yes, he's very skillful, has a great eye for a pass, assist or goal but having him in the side dictates the way we play and he's clearly not been good enough to be our focal point. You can't build a team around him. I don't think we will get as much money for him as we hope for as there will be less buyers than expected. The best thing for us would be a bidding war but I think he's going to Newcastle. We might get lucky and Chelsea throw money at us again. I mean they did hire Lampard so you never know. Outside of that though I dont think we will have a bidding war. His highlight reel will look great and it may seem odd saying this about our most technically gifted player but him leaving might be a blessing in disguise. 

• Like 1

He is a very talented player, but oddly, I won't really miss him. Wish him the best and will be curious how he gets on and if he progresses, but I am already thinking about our next midfielders coming in to replace this outgoing lot. 

Bit like Brendan in admiration of his skills but deep down his personality has always grated on me. He’ll be the most booed if ever returning to the King Power I feel. Both parties will enjoy that. 

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

The defence is poor but has zero protection from the midfield. As our midfield hasn't been able to control or dominate many games this season, our defence has come under relentless pressure which has lead to mistakes and goals. Ndidi has regressed horrendously and Tielemans has been pretty poor since he came back from injury. He's not athletic enough to help out defensively and hasn't been able to give us any control in midfield at all. He's looked really unfit and over weight in my opinion and his body language looks like he's not giving his all. Will have been tough for him as the players he's played with in midfield like Soumare, Ndidi and KDH just haven't been anywhere near good enough and also don't give us any control in midfield. As regards Maddison, he was our best player for much of the season and looked like he'd be our saving grace and keep us up with his goals and assists. Unfortunately his form has dropped and he hasn't been able to affect games like he has previously. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

The defence is poor but has zero protection from the midfield. As our midfield hasn't been able to control or dominate many games this season, our defence has come under relentless pressure which has lead to mistakes and goals. Ndidi has regressed horrendously and Tielemans has been pretty poor since he came back from injury. He's not athletic enough to help out defensively and hasn't been able to give us any control in midfield at all. He's looked really unfit and over weight in my opinion and his body language looks like he's not giving his all. Will have been tough for him as the players he's played with in midfield like Soumare, Ndidi and KDH just haven't been anywhere near good enough and also don't give us any control in midfield. As regards Maddison, he was our best player for much of the season and looked like he'd be our saving grace and keep us up with his goals and assists. Unfortunately his form has dropped and he hasn't been able to affect games like he has previously. 

I would take less skilful players, if it meant they worked harder and battled more. Our midfield are so passive. Looking forward to a complete change in the summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

I would take less skilful players, if it meant they worked harder and battled more. Our midfield are so passive. Looking forward to a complete change in the summer.

100%. We've had worse players and been in worse positions previously but don't think I've ever seen a group of players that lack effort, pride, passion and even fitness like this lot. Rodgers can take some responsibility for running them into the ground and destroying their confidence but there comes a point where the players have to take responsibility for themselves and their own performances and fitness levels and these lot seem like they've downed tools and thrown the towel in. I could accept relegation more if the players had given everything and we'd just been unlucky but we deserve to be where we are as we are comfortably the 2nd worst team in this league and have been pretty much all season. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

He is a very talented player, but oddly, I won't really miss him. Wish him the best and will be curious how he gets on and if he progresses, but I am already thinking about our next midfielders coming in to replace this outgoing lot. 

Maddison won't be remembered as a lcfc midfield legend that's for sure.... million miles behind the likes of Izzet and even Drinkwater in the title winning season. Going back a bit further Mark Draper and the legend Davie Gibson were far better!!  

• Like 1

Just now, weller54 said:

Maddison won't be remembered as a lcfc midfield legend that's for sure.... million miles behind the likes of Izzet and even Drinkwater in the title winning season. Going back a bit further Mark Draper and the legend Davie Gibson were far better!!  

Other than Vardy and Albrighton, none of this lot will be remembered as legends. Even though Youri scored the goal in the fa Cup final I don't think he'll ever  go down as a legend after this season. The whole title winning a squad will always be seen as legends even if some acted pretty poorly before they left (Drinkwater and Mahrez).

• Like 2

Just now, jayfox26 said:

100%. We've had worse players and been in worse positions previously but don't think I've ever seen a group of players that lack effort, pride, passion and even fitness like this lot. Rodgers can take some responsibility for running them into the ground and destroying their confidence but there comes a point where the players have to take responsibility for themselves and their own performances and fitness levels and these lot seem like they've downed tools and thrown the towel in. I could accept relegation more if the players had given everything and we'd just been unlucky but we deserve to be where we are as we are comfortably the 2nd worst team in this league and have been pretty much all season. 

I think a lot of them also share the Rodger's mentality of, we are too good to be here and in this situation. 

You are never going to get players fighting for a common cause, if they think they are too good and above the situation. 

That is why I hate having players who are allowed to run down their contract. I would prefer to sell them than have players in the team that have their eyes on the summer move. Despite all that though, I don't think anyone could have foreseen how ineffective N'didi has become. He is barely half the player he was, and N'didi from old would have shielded that back 4 like a monster. I would genuinely get rid of our entire midfield in the summer though, perhaps only KDH staying. That is how bad I think these players work as a unit together. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

I think a lot of them also share the Rodger's mentality of, we are too good to be here and in this situation. 

You are never going to get players fighting for a common cause, if they think they are too good and above the situation. 

That is why I hate having players who are allowed to run down their contract. I would prefer to sell them than have players in the team that have their eyes on the summer move. Despite all that though, I don't think anyone could have foreseen how ineffective N'didi has become. He is barely half the player he was, and N'didi from old would have shielded that back 4 like a monster. I would genuinely get rid of our entire midfield in the summer though, perhaps only KDH staying. That is how bad I think these players work as a unit together. 

Yep agreed. I hope the club have learnt lessons from the contract fiasco and won't allow so many to run their contracts down again. We know we will never be able to keep our best players forever as its the way football works and we also know we won't get Maguire/Fofana fees for every player, but any player who is in their final year and won't sign a new contract should just be sold. Even if you only get half of the value, its better than watching half arsed performances like we have from some players this season and then seeing them leave for nothing.

• Like 1