Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

8 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

The thing that's been striking for some time now is this quote of yours here, Consider just 3 years ago with Maddison at his prime, us being frustrated that Grealish was the main up-and-coming player that England were offering in midfield whilst Maddison was constantly getting snubbed. Grealish and Maddison were both in very similar situations where they were really technically gifted players and realistically were playing for clubs that would act as a stepping stone to greater things. The difference when you look back with hindsight, Grealish was absolutely carrying that Villa side, week in week out he gave everything for that shirt, got back to defend when he could and ran himself into the ground but wasn't the type of player to overplay and try to take on 6 players like we are seeing Maddison attempting now, and when we needed Maddison to step up and fill that role that Grealish had at Villa as their most technically gifted player but a leader on the pitch, Maddison just has not delivered in comparison. 3 years ago Maddison and Grealish were neck and neck. To me, Grealish is absolutely miles ahead of Maddison now, in ability, effort, accountability on the pitch, and in leadership. It really is mad how big the gulf is between these 2 players. Maddison would obviously improve at City,  but I can't see Maddison going to somewhere like Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, or Newcastle and becoming the sort of player Grealish is becoming at City. 

Agree entirely, Maddison hasn't broke sweat for us in the last 2 months in particular, when it was time to stand up and be counted, he's put more effort into posts on Twitter. 

If he does get picked up by a top 6 club he'll be bench warming within a month, as will Tielemans. 

• Like 1

Maddison need to pull his socks up and show why he’s apparently worth £60m+ he needs to dig in these last 2 games and show what his value really is, he thinks he’s the next David Beckham we’ll if he thinks that he needs to forget moaning and arguing on Social Media and do his talking on the pitch if he wants a big move in the summer then he needs to play his heart out for the badge the club and the fans !

Sort yourself out Madders and get this Leicester City side playing superb as we know we’re able to do and survive the drop end the season on a high !!

4 hours ago, inckley fox said:

They're part of the problem. Just because they're more gifted doesn't mean they don't personify many of this squad's worst attributes. In fact, if we're talking about the lack of physicality, commitment to the club, or stomach for a fight, then they represent that more than anyone else.

And we can't defend as a team. Our wide players and midfielders - as a result of usually having Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans among their number - have offered no protection all season. Lots of nice little touches, a few super goals and assist as a result of the freedom they're given, but strictly no tracking, no tackling, no pressing.

And it's not like we're talking about the same old culprits in defence. Faes, Amartey, Vestergard, Fofana, Evans, Souttar and, yes, even Soyuncu have all been awful at centre back for us for a long time. And of the full backs, all of Castagne, Thomas, Bertrand, Justin, Kristiansen have looked dreadful. That's nearly three entirely distinct back fours, all of which are consistently rubbish, regardless of the exact combination. Even the keepers - from latter day Schmeichel to Ward and Iversen - are poor.

It's not like we're talking about unseasoned players here either. So, for me, when you have highly-rated players in your defence (most of which have featured in competent defences at this level), but your defence is almost exclusively shocking, regardless of who you play in it, you have to start wondering if something else is going on.

To me the comparison to us is PSG - hear me out here. PSG for me often fall short because despite the obvious brilliance in their side, they have a team of luxury players who won't defend. We essentially have the same issue here. Albeit not quite on their extreme level - but it's a similar sort of issue.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, weller54 said:

Maddison won't be remembered as a lcfc midfield legend that's for sure.... million miles behind the likes of Izzet and even Drinkwater in the title winning season. Going back a bit further Mark Draper and the legend Davie Gibson were far better!!  

He didn't start in the FA Cup final win either. He was on the bench and came on after the Tielemans wonder strike. If he plays instead of Drinkwater in the title winning season we don't get even close to winning the league. We were just so fast on the counter from defense to Vardy or Mahrez as quick as possible and bang goal. He just looks for the foul every time so we can't play counter attack. It slows us right down and stops us getting any momentum. He's a fantastically gifted footballer, no question but very hard to fit in a side that wants to be at the top. We were actually doing better when he was out of the side and on the bench and since he has become undroppable we have plummeted down the table. It's obviously not all on him at all but we've basically built our team around someone that is a very good player but miles from being top class.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

He didn't start in the FA Cup final win either. He was on the bench and came on after the Tielemans wonder strike. If he plays instead of Drinkwater in the title winning season we don't get even close to winning the league. We were just so fast on the counter from defense to Vardy or Mahrez as quick as possible and bang goal. He just looks for the foul every time so we can't play counter attack. It slows us right down and stops us getting any momentum. He's a fantastically gifted footballer, no question but very hard to fit in a side that wants to be at the top. We were actually doing better when he was out of the side and on the bench and since he has become undroppable we have plummeted down the table. It's obviously not all on him at all but we've basically built our team around someone that is a very good player but miles from being top class.  

Of course Drinkwater had Kante for the defensive cover role.... Maddison has had Ndidi 😂😂..

I'm sure Drinkwater played with supreme confidence that season knowing Kante was behind him to mop up any issues.  Different ends of the spectrum 15/2016 and 22/2023!!

The best thing the lad could do for his career in my opinion is stay another years here and learn to fight and battle in the championship.

It wont happen because a.) the club are skint and need to sell b,.) the lad probably doesnt have the stomach for the fight

Interesting there are a few players that a bit of rough and tumble championship style could help develop into better players, but they have to be wiling to run and move above all else. 

16 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

**** me!  There have been some bollocks written in this thread but to suggest that Drinkwater was a better, more effective player than Maddison is taking the piss.  He would have played the ball quicker that season as that would have been the instruction to do so.  Something up until the last dozen games he is so very good at.

Have a look at the goals and assists.  He is one of the best players to have played for Leicester (certainly in my 43 years of supporting them).  He is trying to do everything himself at the moment, like the kid who is better than everybody at school and so does not bother with the team.  He needs to be told to speed up on the ball and release quicker, then get forward where he is most effective.  Of course, the manager should already be pointing this out to him...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

We finished 5th twice, won the FA Cup and Community Sheild.

At which point were we better with him not in the side? He has been a big part of our recent success.

• Like 2

We have only two more games to ,  according to some,  endure Maddison. He will be gone and we move on Thankfully , the probability is we won't be facing him next season and won't give him the chance to piss all over us.

Maddison needs to stop posting stuff on twitter and crack on. I feel he’s ruined his legacy here but his recent antics. As fans we have a right to be annoyed. I mean he obviously thinks hes too good for us now but what has he actually achieved while he’s been with us? Even the FA Cup final he was on the bench.

Decent player in a shite team but you can see why he scored so many goals cos he never passes. Body language in games really annoys me, pipe down Madders and work hard for the team stop trying by to impress other suitors by throwing your hands up when you make a crap pass trying to blame others.

• Like 1

One of the most gifted midfielders we've ever had, absolutely no doubt about that. The 18 months leading up to the world cup he's been outstanding for us. No one can take that away from him.

He just leaves on such a sour note as does everyone this summer. Youri should be getting a heroes farewell for the cup winner. But no one will rever these players after relegation. 

Wish him all the best but don't think I could ever forgive this team if we begin another barren run in the lower leagues

Edited by HybridFox
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

Can they afford him is the question

He knows his England career is as good as finished as Southgate has never rated him. So in reality its only playing in Europe which attracts and I get the impression in his younger years he was very close to his family and did charity football stuff in Coventry each year with another football mate. 

Cov probably can't afford him, but it is the one club which will get a discount from Madders to sign.....

He'd be like a god playing for Cov City.....  "one of us".....

5 minutes ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

He knows his England career is as good as finished as Southgate has never rated him. So in reality its only playing in Europe which attracts and I get the impression in his younger years he was very close to his family and did charity football stuff in Coventry each year with another football mate. 

Cov probably can't afford him, but it is the one club which will get a discount from Madders to sign.....

He'd be like a god playing for Cov City.....  "one of us".....

He is a Man Utd fan and Man City tried to sign him in January.

In what world do you think that a) they could afford the £50m+ to sign him and b) his £150k per week wages minimum?  They do not even own a ground let alone afford Maddison. Jesus Christ!!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

We finished 5th twice, won the FA Cup and Community Sheild.

At which point were we better with him not in the side? He has been a big part of our recent success.

The season we won the FA Cup and the last one of those seasons we finished 5th he was a sub for quite a lot of the season and injured. He was even on the bench for the FA Cup final and came on after the goal. I'm not saying he's not a very good footballer but the constant looking for contact on the counter slows us right down going forward. Yes his stats are great but it means everything goes through him and clearly that's not working.

28 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I still miss Mahrez. He was likeable.

Mahrez never told me it was raining while pissing on me from the top of a ladder. 

you weren't stood in the right place then ....

24 minutes ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

I reckon he'll sign for Cov City in the summer when they get promoted.

Hometown club and all that.....parents watch the sky blues still....

lol

22 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

Can they afford him is the question

they wont be able to afford vestergaard !

53 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Of course Drinkwater had Kante for the defensive cover role.... Maddison has had Ndidi 😂😂..

I'm sure Drinkwater played with supreme confidence that season knowing Kante was behind him to mop up any issues.  Different ends of the spectrum 15/2016 and 22/2023!!

That does make a massive difference. I'm not saying he isn't a very good player, he's incredibly talented but going to ground/always looking for contact on the turn all the time when we are on the counter, stops us counter attacking and slows us down. We then seem to put the free kick either out of play or it ends up back with our defense. We lose all momentum. 

• Like 1

If it’s true that the going rate for Maddison is £40 million, is it a mad idea for the club to keep him for the last year of his contract to get us back in the Prem and make 4x that amount through promotion? I imagine Maddison would throw his toys out the pram but it’s an interesting one as he’s contracted for another year. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

I reckon he'll sign for Cov City in the summer when they get promoted.

Hometown club and all that.....parents watch the sky blues still....

He will go to whoever pays him the most that looks like they will be either in Europe or challenging

55 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

**** me!  There have been some bollocks written in this thread but to suggest that Drinkwater was a better, more effective player than Maddison is taking the piss.  He would have played the ball quicker that season as that would have been the instruction to do so.  Something up until the last dozen games he is so very good at.

Have a look at the goals and assists.  He is one of the best players to have played for Leicester (certainly in my 43 years of supporting them).  He is trying to do everything himself at the moment, like the kid who is better than everybody at school and so does not bother with the team.  He needs to be told to speed up on the ball and release quicker, then get forward where he is most effective.  Of course, the manager should already be pointing this out to him...

I didn't say Drinkwater was a better player at all. He isn't. Maddison is way more talented but he goes to ground at every possible opportunity looking for a free kick which stops any counter attack. We then either give the free kick back to the side we are playing, put it out or it ends up back at our defense who can't pass. Drinkwater was more suited to that title winning team because all he had to do was get the ball as quickly as possible from midfield to Vardy or Mahrez for them to score. Literally all he had to do was not fall over looking for a foul, receive the ball and get it forward. He fit that role perfectly for that season under Ranieri. 

I used to think it was a positive sign that he had become one of the senior, leader-type players in the squad, that it showed he'd matured from a bit of a lightweight highlights player into a serious footballer. Now I think it's a pretty damning indictment of how the squad has changed over the past few years. We've gone from having players like Morgan and King who might have been outwardly quiet but broadly speaking led by example and obviously commanded a lot of respect from their peers, to someone like Maddison whose idea of leadership is trying to do everything himself on the pitch and spending his time off it sniping at fans and journalists on Twitter when they've got the gall to call out his vapid "we'll be fine" platitudes for what they are.

I don't accept that he doesn't care or that he should be anywhere near the front of the queue to receive stick for this season - and incidentally I do think it's pretty backwards how him and Barnes, our top assister and scorer respectively, often seem to get the worst of it - but I do think his efforts to play the leader over the past few months have been pretty counter-productive.

• Like 2