Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

18 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

If it’s true that the going rate for Maddison is £40 million, is it a mad idea for the club to keep him for the last year of his contract to get us back in the Prem and make 4x that amount through promotion? I imagine Maddison would throw his toys out the pram but it’s an interesting one as he’s contracted for another year. 

Not mad at all,  If I was the club I would want him to help secure promotion but players have too much power so he will go.  

Can see him going to Chelsea, they are going to sell Mount so ideal replacement + his bestie is there too. 

45-50m is about his worth even with us in the championship. 

Edited by goose2010

3 minutes ago, Richmondfox said:

Not mad at all,  If I was the club I would want him to help secure promotion but players have too much power so he will go.  

This kind of thinking is part of the reason we find ourselves in this position

9 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Can see him going to Chelsea, they are going to sell Mount so ideal replacement + his bestie is there too. 

45-50m is about his worth even with us in the championship. 

Good move for him. Bohely will pay over the odds, the team there is full of ****s, and going there guarantees he plays for England over the next 4 years. He can also carry on that glum depressed look his mastered over the last 5 months, as Chelsea are on the slide.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

The thing that's been striking for some time now is this quote of yours here, Consider just 3 years ago with Maddison at his prime, us being frustrated that Grealish was the main up-and-coming player that England were offering in midfield whilst Maddison was constantly getting snubbed. Grealish and Maddison were both in very similar situations where they were really technically gifted players and realistically were playing for clubs that would act as a stepping stone to greater things. The difference when you look back with hindsight, Grealish was absolutely carrying that Villa side, week in week out he gave everything for that shirt, got back to defend when he could and ran himself into the ground but wasn't the type of player to overplay and try to take on 6 players like we are seeing Maddison attempting now, and when we needed Maddison to step up and fill that role that Grealish had at Villa as their most technically gifted player but a leader on the pitch, Maddison just has not delivered in comparison. 3 years ago Maddison and Grealish were neck and neck. To me, Grealish is absolutely miles ahead of Maddison now, in ability, effort, accountability on the pitch, and in leadership. It really is mad how big the gulf is between these 2 players. Maddison would obviously improve at City,  but I can't see Maddison going to somewhere like Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, or Newcastle and becoming the sort of player Grealish is becoming at City. 

Edit: There is a hell of a lot of nuance to this I admit, one is playing for one of the best teams the premier league and after tonight, arguably the world has seen, and one is playing with Ndidi and Tielemans, so I 100% accept the nuance, but I just feel like Maddison has dramatically tailed off in the sense he can't even do the basics right anymore. We really needed Maddison to emulate the sort of gutsy performances Grealish was putting up when Villa were close to the drop, but he hasn't. 

....Grealish did have John Terry as a mentor at Villa, it improved him as a player and no doubt helped him to mature!!!

It would be interesting if Terry could do the same with Maddison.

1 hour ago, jonathan_ross said:

I’d force him to see out his contract, 45-50 million is a drop in the ocean when you’re rotting in the championship, automatic promotion is critical, he contributed in our downfall, the club should take a stance. 

And then we’re stuck with an unmotivated player, who half arses it all season, we don’t get promoted and miss out on a transfer fee.

Good job you aren’t calling the shots here imho 

• Like 3

I’d force him to see out his contract, 45-50 million is a drop in the ocean when you’re rotting in the championship, automatic promotion is critical, he contributed in our downfall, the club should take a stance. 

Sinking the club on principle is a pretty poor idea

• Like 1

Nah - cash in and move on as its not just the transfer fee but also the wages. Going to need to rebuild and a big factor of that is getting some harmony in the squad. A downed tools Maddison and his bloody clique club will be a complete nightmare.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chelmofox said:

Nah - cash in and move on as its not just the transfer fee but also the wages. Going to need to rebuild and a big factor of that is getting some harmony in the squad. A downed tools Maddison and his bloody clique club will be a complete nightmare.

May as well cash in, whoever pays over the odds for him believing it’s a massive signing will be loaning him to Coventry by january

...so, are we expecting him to sign a new contract at the end of next season!!!

Sell him now, and get the money to finance getting 2 or 3 more players in. We keep saying we need to sell to finance the club and we cannot afford to let an asset go out the door.

You are attempting to gamble with our club assets, we cannot afford to let him run his contract down.

34 minutes ago, jonathan_ross said:

May as well cash in, whoever pays over the odds for him believing it’s a massive signing will be loaning him to Coventry by january

We all know, that wherever he goes, he will probably have a belting season next year (as will likely Rodgers). Its something we are all going to have to swallow up.

5 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

We all know, that wherever he goes, he will probably have a belting season next year (as will likely Rodgers). Its something we are all going to have to swallow up.

Hopefully it’ll be another Drinkwater/Maguire career move.

Edited by jonathan_ross

Madders isn’t going to want to play in the championship now he has his foot in the door for the England squad so will be off 40-50 mil gives us a chance to get a few players in as we will be losing a few to contracts ended and others probably won’t be staying either so will need the money to build again next season. Best case scenario is Chelsea want him and stupidly bid more than anyone hoping to get him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I think that would be lunacy. Let's assume Maddison has a 35% wage reduction relegation clause in his contract (he may not even have one). That's still £70k per week in the Championship that we'd be on the hook for. He's entering what should be the peak years of his career and would probably be massively demotivated playing in the Championship. Both club and player need to move on this summer, and that would still be the case even if we miraculously escape relegation.

I know wages are massive and I do agree with you, but always worth remembering that 70k a week is only 3.6m, which is likely cheaper than his replacement will cost. 

Personally I don’t want the bloke anyway and it does get a chunk off the books and a nice sum in the bank to fight of FFP.

5 minutes ago, jonathan_ross said:

I’m just a bitter fan who hates being constantly reminded that we’re another small feeder club.

We aren’t one of the giants with endless pots of (oily) cash. If you don’t want to be a feeder club, then pray for new Saudi owners. 

5 hours ago, jonathan_ross said:

Behave.